Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel resistance - low speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed that when I am backing out of parking and trying to turn the wheel all the way, there is a lot of resistance turning the steering wheel all the way. I have the setting in comfort mode. In normal driving, usually at 10+ mph, the resistance is not that noticeable.
However, in normal and sport mode, there is a lot of resistance and hardly any noticeable difference between normal and sport. Anyone else have any similar issues?

I use the standard mode full time, but perhaps I can offer some insight.

Some electric power steering systems vary the assist power according to the vehicle's speed. For example, I'm about 90% the Smart fortwo I used to own only used power steering at low speeds, and not at all on highways. What you're describing would actually be a bit backwards, however.

If you are not moving while turning the wheel, there is also more resistance in reality. It's very hard to turn the wheels in place, but easier while the car is in motion. Between the wide tires and the weight of the car, it's easy to imagine the power steering needs some very heavy assist (especially if you have winter tires on).

I'll make a note to test comfort mode tomorrow and report back in about 25 hours :)

Reactions: KenC
Thanks! I have made a service appointment. Just to clarify, I am not trying to do this in place, but when at really slow speeds, such as backing out of a parking spot/ driveway.
My front tires are worn and close to about 5/32. I thought this would actually make it easier to turn than harder. I bought this car used so I cannot say if it always did it. It has about 17k miles on it, I have had it for over a month and always had an issue.

Forgot to follow up!

So I tried comfort mode. I swear it has more resistance than it used to, as it felt way too light when I first got the car. It felt alright now though, if a bit light.

Anyways. I have rather new winter tires on and tried turning both at very low speeds and while stopped. It was effortless in both cases. I was going to suggest a service appointment, glad you've already done so!

Back to standard mode now.

Thanks! I have made a service appointment. Just to clarify, I am not trying to do this in place, but when at really slow speeds, such as backing out of a parking spot/ driveway.

I started having this issue around the same time with my 2015 85D. After almost getting into a couple of accidents I finally brought it into the SC and they said there’s nothing wrong. The 85D loaner is a completely different driving experience, none of that fluctuating/increasing resistance in comfort mode, so I’m not sure how they came to that conclusion. But multiple SC folks test drove the car and said steering is normal/fine. I may end up just selling the car if I can’t get it resolved, it’s just too much of a risk to my family’s safety to accept it as-is.

• Funny
Reactions: StealthP3D
My front tires are worn and close to about 5/32. I thought this would actually make it easier to turn than harder. I bought this car used so I cannot say if it always did it. It has about 17k miles on it, I have had it for over a month and always had an issue.

Make sure your steering wheel is adjusted to a favorable position for turning the wheel. It may be too high or too far forward. It's really amazing what a difference this makes.