Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel seems off centre to the left, could this be Beta Autosteer? 2022 Model Y please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello I have had my Tesla since September but recently the steering wheel seems slightly off centre to the left, when driving through normal two way roads, could this be the Beta Autosteer? Tesla on the chat thought it was not the recent software update and i could come in to have the wheel alignment done for £316. I remembered tonight that i had activated the Beta Autosteer function about a month ago, so i turned it off and on the way home the car seems to be back to normal. I may get the wheel alignment checked locally at a garage that are Tesla savy. Does anyone please have any experience or opinions on the Beta autosteer function as the explanation of this function is a bit vague, many thanks for your help. :)

When using FFSD, I wish it was possible to have "the car centering mechanism" to be adjustable on one side or the other.

So when passing a big truck or bicycles, it would be possible to have the car moving away on the otherside.​
Especially if there is no other vehicle on the other lane in case of a three or more lanes road.​

Also it would be nice to select a side preference to follow, because in case or irregularities
of the width of a road lane, the car sudenly jerk to be exactly in the middle of the larger lane.

This occurs very often when there is a 'Y' shape junction, where the main road is a little bit curving​
on one side and an exit road exists on the other side. This is a very annoying behaviour forcing to often​
having to take over the wheel and disengaging FSD.​
This should be simple to correct because the FSD front camera and the map display clearly are​
showing that the car will have to make a turn and will not be going in the middle of the 'Y' junction.​

Last edited:
...wheel alignment...
Some symptoms:

Tire wear: Uneven or pre-mature
Crooked: You drive straight but the steering wheel is not
Pulling: You want to go straight but the car keeps pulling to the right or left...

When you turn on the ADAS (Autopilot, EAP, FSD, FSD beta... ) the automation may mask the symptom so you wouldn't notice that the car is pulling to one side but the system compensates and pull it back to the center. With the masking, the symptoms are ignored until you can see the tires have unevenly worn down all the way to the steel strands.

Not sure what Autosteer would have to do with the physical alignment of your steering wheel, if that's what you are asking about. And I don't think any software update would impact that either. My wheel is very slightly off-center when going straight but I use it as an opportunity to fight back on my OCD.

Reactions: ElsDee and jsight