Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Yoke installed and loving it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, I don't care one way or the other about the yoke steering wheel itself, but if I decide to put in a dash display I would consider it much more in order to get an unobstructed view of the new screen.

Keith
623.04US $ 52% OFF|Carbon Fiber For Tesla Model 3 Y Digital LCD Screen Android Car Virtual Instrument Dashboard Display GPS Navigation Multimedia|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress

^ this seems like the most OEM looking integration of a secondary screen but i can't find any information at all or anyone that has actually bought it

Random question, do you think there would be an issue with your insurance or leaving yourself open to liability if you were to get in to an accident? If someone installs an aftermarket steering wheel that is so drastically different than OEM, would your insurance be able to use it as an “out” to cover you for an accident that could be deemed due to the yoke? Could someone come after you personally if you caused an accident?
I can say for sure if someone hits me in a Y or 3 and I see a yoke installed, I’m definitely using that against them when it comes to liability.

Random question, do you think there would be an issue with your insurance or leaving yourself open to liability if you were to get in to an accident? If someone installs an aftermarket steering wheel that is so drastically different than OEM, would your insurance be able to use it as an “out” to cover you for an accident that could be deemed due to the yoke? Could someone come after you personally if you caused an accident?
I can say for sure if someone hits me in a Y or 3 and I see a yoke installed, I’m definitely using that against them when it comes to liability.
Excellent point there.
But how does that differ from using aftermarket brake discs or pads? Probably the single most important safety item on a vehicle next to seat belts.

If someone chooses to go 2nd line after market brakes for half the cost and less braking efficiency, does insurance penalize for this? Curious where the line is drawn.
Likewise, adding a turbocharger to an ice engine and pushing the power output way beyond the manuf specs. Probably voids vehicle warranty but not sure insurance.

To be safe it’s a quick call to your Insur company to ask IF you installed one, how would it be taken?

Reactions: Javitos
Excellent point there.
But how does that differ from using aftermarket brake discs or pads? Probably the single most important safety item on a vehicle next to seat belts.

If someone chooses to go 2nd line after market brakes for half the cost and less braking efficiency, does insurance penalize for this? Curious where the line is drawn.
Likewise, adding a turbocharger to an ice engine and pushing the power output way beyond the manuf specs. Probably voids vehicle warranty but not sure insurance.

To be safe it’s a quick call to your Insur company to ask IF you installed one, how would it be taken?

When I was having my oil changed, the tech asked if I'd like him to check my brakes. "What for? I've got insurance."

Insurance will not pay out for fraud, but they will pay out regardless of fault. Otherwise, they would never pay out lol

Excellent point there.

As long as the aftermarket brakes are designed for and marketed for the vehicle there wouldn't be a problem. I think the issue here would be that there is no yoke steering wheel made for the Y. So if the yoke is/could be the cause of an accident, even if the insurance pays out, would/could you be held liable personally. Especially if there were injuries and/or extensive property damage. I could easily see someone claiming the owner was negligent by jerry rigging a non-OEM steering wheel on their car. It's not like it's just going from a round steering wheel to a flat bottom lol.
Maybe it's just the American way, but that would almost seem to easy to use as evidence for an easy pay day 😂

It is only better if it actually improves the performance, which in this case, it does not. Look at what cars actually have a history of using yoke wheels...F1 race cars. Great idea in an F1 car because the lock-to-lock on an F1 car is only a tad than 1/2 rotation of the yoke right or left. Plus, they have progressive steering that increases the angle of the wheels as the yoke gets closer right or left. In other words, an F1 driver never has to remove his hands from the yoke to turn the car 100% of its maximum turning radius right or left.

No Tesla does this. Our steering is linear and it takes 2.5 turns to move over the complete range of motion. That means that to take tight turns, you have to take your hands off the wheel to turn more than 25% of the turning radius of the car. While this is manageable in a parking lot or banging a U-turn on a street, it is dangerous with any high speed maneuvering. I raced track and autocross for years and no one ever used a yoke for the simple reason that when you are hitting the apex in a hairpin turn, the last thing you want to have is a steering mechanism where you can only grip half of the control surface. You make a mistake and you eat a wall. I know, you are saying, "but I don't track my car." What if you are on a tight turn on a mountain road where you have to do an emergency maneuver where you have to turn the yoke more than half a turn and you miss because half the steering wheel is missing? I can see this happening when someone is not used to high speed driving and panics.

You can say you want it for style points or because you like the way it looks, but in real practicality, as a steering device in a vehicle that does not have progressive steering or a one-turn steering ratio, it is not as good as a normal steering wheel.

It is only better if it actually improves the performance, which in this case, it does not. Look at what cars actually have a history of using yoke wheels...F1 race cars. Great idea in an F1 car because the lock-to-lock on an F1 car is only a tad than 1/2 rotation of the yoke right or left. Plus, they have progressive steering that increases the angle of the wheels as the yoke gets closer right or left. In other words, an F1 driver never has to remove his hands from the yoke to turn the car 100% of its maximum turning radius right or left.

No Tesla does this. Our steering is linear and it takes 2.5 turns to move over the complete range of motion. That means that to take tight turns, you have to take your hands off the wheel to turn more than 25% of the turning radius of the car. While this is manageable in a parking lot or banging a U-turn on a street, it is dangerous with any high speed maneuvering. I raced track and autocross for years and no one ever used a yoke for the simple reason that when you are hitting the apex in a hairpin turn, the last thing you want to have is a steering mechanism where you can only grip half of the control surface. You make a mistake and you eat a wall. I know, you are saying, "but I don't track my car." What if you are on a tight turn on a mountain road where you have to do an emergency maneuver where you have to turn the yoke more than half a turn and you miss because half the steering wheel is missing? I can see this happening when someone is not used to high speed driving and panics.

You can say you want it for style points or because you like the way it looks, but in real practicality, as a steering device in a vehicle that does not have progressive steering or a one-turn steering ratio, it is not as good as a normal steering wheel.

What you said makes too much sense for the Tesla yoke fan boys to understand.

I don't mind the yoke so much... What I do mind is having the horn and turn signal buttons on the spoke. I personally find that to be non-intuitive. There's an intersection near my daughter's school, where the intersection is offset at an angle, so the wheel will by almost upside down when you are at the light... In order to signal for a left with a stalk, you just tap down... However on the X's yoke, the buttons will be on the opposite side with the wheel upside down... And left is normally on bottom, but with the wheel upside down, it will be on top. The signal icon will also be inverted, so it will be pointing right, but is actually the left one. Non-intuitive.

Changes or modifications to your vehicle must use DOT compliant parts to be street legal. Specifically, modifications and parts must comply with 49 CFR Subpart B - Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

For example, if you wanted to make your Model Y into convertible and chopped the top off and someone was injured in a roll over, that's on you. Your modification resulted in a vehicle that was no longer in compliance with, in this case, 49 CFR § 571.216a. In the example above about brakes, see 49 CFR § 571.105.

A steering wheel is defined under § 571.101 Standard No. 101 as a control. Specifically, a "hand-operated part of a device that enables the driver to change the state or functioning of the vehicle or a vehicle subsystem."

Clearly you are modifying a control under the DOT FMVSS. The question is about compliance. I highly doubt an aftermarket yoke maker in China (or wherever) has obtained a letter of compliance given the time and cost it would take to obtain it. That puts the burden of compliance on the owner.

If you were ever in a injury causing accident, I'm sure a PI attorney would be all over a steering wheel modification. Would a court or jury agree? That's the $1M question.

As for insurance, that would be defined in the terms of the policy, but I suspect most would not cover damage from illegal modification. Unless the part is specifically spelled out as DOT compliant, I'd assume it not to be a legal modification but ultimately, the court (or arbitration board) would make that call.

Drivers have been installing aftermarket steering wheels on vehicles for many years. There may still be a good selection available at the parts stores.
Not sure how one would define drastic but I've installed several MOMO racing wheels on Miata's that have been much different than stock.

I'm interested in installing the yoke steering for my MYP. Can you PM me the link?

Drivers have been installing aftermarket steering wheels on vehicles for many years. There may still be a good selection available at the parts stores.
Not sure how one would define drastic but I've installed several MOMO racing wheels on Miata's that have been much different than stock.
I think the only time the insurance would actually care, is if you installed an aftermarket wheel that deleted the airbag.

Yes, I understand people have been adding aftermarket steering wheels for years. Most, if not all are simple OEM round to a flat bottom, alcantara, thinner, thicker, etc.. In the end, the wheel is still round or mostly round. I would say drastic could easily be defined as round to yoke.
I guess if people want to take the chance just because they think it looks cool, that's on them.