TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Still confused how to keep the car locked properly

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by Sanny, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Sanny

Sanny Member

6 month in and still confused about the car self-locking functionality:
    1) When the car in the driveway and the phone is in the house anyone can come to the car, pull the handle and open the door because the phone is in range. How to prevent it? I think someone can even start driving it that way.
    2) Often I come to the car that was parked somewhere and open the trunk manually (by pressing the physical button on the trunk) and it opens fine. Then I approach the door to open it and it is still closed and goes sentry mode on me. Confused - was the trunk even closed while I was out?

2. Teedub21

Teedub21 Member

If your phone is in the house the car should be locked. I park in my garage, don't even get all the way in the door to the house and the car locks. My gripe is it locks too dang fast. I'd rather it didn't lock at all when I'm at home. Seems if it can fold the mirrors in automatically when I get home it should also be able to leave the car unlocked at home location.

• Like x 1
  3. M3BlueGeorgia

M3BlueGeorgia Active Member

When you walk away and are about 30 feet away you should be able to hear an audible tone and to observe the side mirrors fold inward. This is audible and visual confirmation that the car is locked.

4. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

After 6 months you haven’t thought to leave your phone in the house and try to open door or drive? Do you really have the car?

• Funny x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  5. Sanny

Sanny Member

No car, no phone, no house, you got me!

• Funny x 2
  6. Sanny

Sanny Member

So based on the answers I assume I haven't missed a hidden option or something. Probably will need to disable bluetooth if my phone is in the part of the house close to the car.

7. Zelfiris

Zelfiris Member

Check your Tesla app to confirm. Go to controls and see if the doors are locked. If they are, chances are your car is locking just fine

• Like x 1
  8. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

Never said you didn’t have phone or house. Perhaps it’s not to late to change your screen name to scarecrow

9. 640k

640k Member

OP - you can change the behavior of how your car locks, etc.

pps 8-9 in the manual:
    pg 13...

• Informative x 1
  10. Need

Need Active Member

Have you actually tried this? I tried it and have my phone inside the house. The app showed that my key status as "Connected", but leaving the phone where it was, I went out to try the doors and they did not unlock. Even though you are in Bluetooth range, it doesn't mean the doors can be unlocked without the phone being a foot or 2 next to door.

I pretty much do this every morning. If your car goes sentry mode on you, maybe there is something wrong with your car?

11. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Yes and no. That depends.

Someone has made the experiment:

"11-12 feet on either side, 0 feet in front, and 21-23 feet in the rear."

Just turn off your phone's Bluetooth.

Set up your PIN to Drive.

Yes. I did that (drove off without a fob or signal inside) since 2012 with my former Model S and it's still true with X, 3 depending on how close the signal is.

• Like x 1
  12. Travisla

Travisla Member

I beamforming is used and it knows the distance from the multiple Bluetooth antennas in the car. I have to be within a few feet or the doors won't open even if my key is connected. My kid always runs to the car ahead of me and the door won't unlock until I get a few feet away.

Here is an interesting video that is somewhat relevant to this conversation.

• Informative x 1
  13. Sanny

Sanny Member

Yes, when I test it specifically it stays closed with my phone in the closest to the car place in the house and Connected status. However, it was not once or twice when kids pulled the door of the car that was supposed to be closed and it did open fine for them with my phone being inside the house. Ok, so I need just to decide how paranoid I want to be with that and either use pin to drive or stop worrying.

14. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

I started to use PIN as soon Tesla offered it in one of the updates. It doesn't take much effort at all!

Tesla started to offer the PIN for a reason.

This video is before the offer:

15. xilex

xilex Model P3D

I was doing some car stuff in the garage. In this garage, I pull forward into it. I closed the door, walked to the front of the car, the car locked doors (lights and audio confirmation). I placed the phone on a shelf that is in front of the car (so car, about 18 inch gap, then shelf). I walked back to open the car to get something and door (driver's side) remained locked. I had to pick up the phone and walk back to the car to have it unlock.

Anyway, I never really looked into it because it wasn't an issue for me (garage and house are not too close). Maybe the app looks at movement of the phone and if it senses phone is sitting idle for a while, then it shouldn't unlock even if close by.

16. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

FWIW the hack in that video never existed for the model 3- it was only for older Teslas with weak encryption that has since been significantly improved anyway

17. Rottenapplr

Rottenapplr Member

I can’t even unlock my car when my phone is on the table next to the garage door (door leading to the house) and I’m 7 feet away and opening the tesla door. You phone in your house Is fine. Don’t believe me? Have someone in your house hold your phone and you try opening the car.

18. Rottenapplr

Rottenapplr Member

Wow crazy. I too have used the pin since day one.

19. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

1) I am not an expert but these thieves never used any encryption/decryption for Tesla at all.

They rather rely on SARA or Signal Amplification Relay Attack.

Signal Amplification Relay Attack does not try to crack any password or any encryption/decryption at all!

It only amplifies the signals between the car and the fob as if the fob and the car are next to each other and not at a distance far away.

2) I think there's another time-consuming method in fob cloning that works better to crack simple encryption and especially if that encryption is static.

It's just like the older automatic garage opener. Its encryption was simple and static. Hackers could decipher that static encryption if giving them enough time.

Thus, newer automatic garage openers now have a rolling encryption which makes deciphering it harder because by the time the hackers successfully crack the last encryption, a new encryption is now rolled on and hackers have to restart the deciphering process again.

I don't think there's any report of this kind of method from Tesla thieves but researchers have demonstrated that it's possible so Tesla has responded to these researchers by implementing Rolling Encryption recently.

However, fixing method #2 has no effect on method #1 Signal Amplification Relay Attack as method #1 does not want to take time to get involved with encryption/decryption at all.

Thus, you can use PIN to deal with both method #1 and #2 because even with method # 1 that is quick without cracking the encryption from the signals but thieves have to figure out the PIN. But if you give the thieves enough time, they will finally crack the static 4 digit pin code (10,000 possible combinations) with their fingers someday.

20. Kiwiadventure

Kiwiadventure Member

I walk within 1 foot away from my 3 towards the front of the front fender or rear of the rear fender of my 7 week old 3 and the car locks itself.
    If you're so worried ask Tesla service to check you Tesla.