Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stock 20" Slipstream Wheels, Tires, TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool, thanks for the update! How did it go on the highway? Mileage?

Do you have a weblink to the 5mm spacers you bought but didn't use?

The trip on the interstate went very well. It was a very windy day, winds gusting from 15 to 25MPH out of the southwest and I was headed south to southeast. There was some buffeting from the wind that moved the car slightly, but not bad. I drove the car home from Tesla on the interstate with the stock wheels and tires in similar conditions and this trip was no worst. I used auto steer and just kept some pressure on the wheel in the direction of the wind. On the trip back, as luck would have it, the wind turned around and I was heading into it at an angle again. My total trip was 208.9 miles,with about 2/3 interstate driving at 70MPH. I had 74 miles of range showing at the end. I have a 100D and charged it fully the night before. I started with a indicated range of 304 miles, which surprised me as the car is rated at 295.
You also asked about the spacers. Here is the link:
5x120 72.5 5mm Aluminum Wheel Spacers Adapter Pair for BMW | eBay
As you can see, they are for a BMW, but fit fine. I did not drive with them on the car, but mounted one on the car with just a bare 19" wheel to check fit and had no problems with clearance. I had plenty of threads for the lug-nuts as well. I plan on trying at least 2 of them on the car now that I drove without them on the highway. I want to see if affects the balance and the feel of the steering.
Again, this wheel and tire set up works for me with my 5 passenger X. I do not have a hitch and do not plan to overload the car.

qadaemon,
As the post above shows here are the 19" Slipstreams on our X. I have not found any real negatives with them at this point. The 20" chrome lug covers are too long on the 19"s for my taste so I have order a set that are 1/2" shorter. I have the spare under the compartment behind the 2nd row of seats (5 seater). The cover now sits about 2" higher. I made 4 stands for the cover to keep it off the spare plus other modifications to move the spare as far forward as possible. The tires are rated for 130MPH and have a sightly less load rating than the stock tires. However i understand that the 5 passenger x weighs about 500 lbs less than the 7 passanger so I don't see a problem with that. If you are serious about wanting the 20" wheels, tires and TMPS as they came off the car I'll sell them and bring them to you for $2000.00 cash. I leave Florida in a few weeks so let me know asap.
Thanks
Sorry I was unexpectedly away for a bit; I'll PM you.

The trip on the interstate went very well. It was a very windy day, winds gusting from 15 to 25MPH out of the southwest and I was headed south to southeast. There was some buffeting from the wind that moved the car slightly, but not bad. I drove the car home from Tesla on the interstate with the stock wheels and tires in similar conditions and this trip was no worst. I used auto steer and just kept some pressure on the wheel in the direction of the wind. On the trip back, as luck would have it, the wind turned around and I was heading into it at an angle again. My total trip was 208.9 miles,with about 2/3 interstate driving at 70MPH. I had 74 miles of range showing at the end. I have a 100D and charged it fully the night before. I started with a indicated range of 304 miles, which surprised me as the car is rated at 295.
You also asked about the spacers. Here is the link:
5x120 72.5 5mm Aluminum Wheel Spacers Adapter Pair for BMW | eBay
As you can see, they are for a BMW, but fit fine. I did not drive with them on the car, but mounted one on the car with just a bare 19" wheel to check fit and had no problems with clearance. I had plenty of threads for the lug-nuts as well. I plan on trying at least 2 of them on the car now that I drove without them on the highway. I want to see if affects the balance and the feel of the steering.
Again, this wheel and tire set up works for me with my 5 passenger X. I do not have a hitch and do not plan to overload the car.

Cool!

Thanks for the updates!

I put the 5mm spacers on behind the 19" wheels yesterday and it seems to be working well. No vibrations at highway speed and it brings the wheels out closer to where the 20" were. I installed one on one front wheel first and did a test ride. Then I put the another one on the front and tested it. I finally added them to the rear wheels. I got the car up to 85MPH very briefly each time, as I was not on the interstate when testing. I have not had a chance to try them for a long run on the interstate, but they seem to be fine on local roads. I will check the lugs for tightness in a few days to make sure none of the wheels worked loose. If you use spacers, make sure the mating surfaces of the hub are clean and smooth before installation. Do not tighten one lug all the way without tightening the others in steps. This is more important than usual as the wheels will not be using the hub to center the wheels when using these spacers.

Reduced to $2000.00 Shipped or $1800.00 delivered to central or southern Florida.

New stock Model X wheels and tires TMPS. Car was delivered on 3/31/2017. There is zero damage to the tires and wheels and car tracks true without vibrations from the tires at speeds up to the of 85mph that I drove. I am getting 19" tires and Slipstreams mounted on Monday 4/24/2017, so these will be available then.
Price is $2100.00 I am located in S.W. Florida.

Rate and Review20x 21mm ABS Genuine Wheel Nut Caps Bolt Covers with Removal Tool Silver
20x 21mm ABS Genuine Wheel Nut Caps Bolt Covers with Removal Tool Silver

May 17, 2017
Works great on Tesla 19" Slipstream Wheels
I bought these because I changed from 20" wheels to 19". The lug caps that came with the 20" Slipstreams were too long and stuck out too far. These are shorter and fit very well. The pictures show one of each side by side and then before and after on the car.

IMG_4147.JPG
IMG_4150.JPG
IMG_4153.JPG

New stock Model X wheels and tires TMPS. Car was delivered on 3/31/2017. There is zero damage to the tires and wheels and car tracks true without vibrations from the tires at speeds up to the of 85mph that I drove. I am getting 19" tires and Slipstreams mounted on Monday 4/24/2017, so these will be available then.
Price is $2100.00 I am located in S.W. Florida.

Still for Sale

Just curious, what's the procedure to remove the lug Nuts (covers, etc)? Do the covers twist off, pull off,etc?
Pull straight off, best with the tool that comes with the kit Mr. Ed has a picture of or, as another poster on this forum suggested:
Amazon.com: Genuine Audi 8D0012244A Wheel Bolt Cap Removal Tool: Automotive
An Audi:eek: removal tool.

I have both and prefer the Audi one, it does not look like i twill work well when you get it, it is just a flimsy piece of plastic, but it's actually ultra slim and works great! No chance in scraping the wheel with this tool.

Mr. Ed, it's a little late now, but you could check with the SC regarding the shorter chrome caps, they have two sizes. I know because when I asked for grey ones on the arachnids I picked up, they asked me which size I needed... I explained and they said you need the shorter ones.

Pull straight off, best with the tool that comes with the kit Mr. Ed has a picture of or, as another poster on this forum suggested:

I have both and prefer the Audi one, it does not look like i twill work well when you get it, it is just a flimsy piece of plastic, but it's actually ultra slim and works great! No chance in scraping the wheel with this tool.

Mr. Ed, it's a little late now, but you could check with the SC regarding the shorter chrome caps, they have two sizes. I know because when I asked for grey ones on the arachnids I picked up, they asked me which size I needed... I explained and they said you need the shorter ones.

I made my own puller from some scrap soft plastic I had. I did not check with a SC before buying mine. It's 84 miles away and the ones I got were shipped to my door for $6.99

IMG_4183.1.jpg
IMG_4184.1.jpg

Thanks!

I made my own puller from some scrap soft plastic I had. I did not check with a SC before buying mine. It's 84 miles away and the ones I got were shipped to my door for $6.99

View attachment 228525 View attachment 228526
Thanks for the visual! If I had not seen this thread, I may have tried to just put a wrench on it and turn! Looked like a tight clearance though, somsocket may not have fit.

One last question, so do these caps just 'snap' on or just friction fit? What keeps them from coming off while driving?

Thanks for the visual! If I had not seen this thread, I may have tried to just put a wrench on it and turn! Looked like a tight clearance though, somsocket may not have fit.

One last question, so do these caps just 'snap' on or just friction fit? What keeps them from coming off while driving?

They push on. It is a friction fit. The picture below shows the inside of the stock Model X cap on the left, cheap after-market one on the left. I have not had a problem with either type falling off, but I do not have many miles on either one.
IMG_4148.JPG