Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stop complaining and start promoting if you want Tesla to survive!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course I believe them. They are offering a limited time discount. You can bet your only pair of shoes the price will go up when the sale is over. After that, all bets are off. Eventually, it might end up as low as $1500 (for FSD being added to EAP) but I would be surprised if they drop it that low.

The main takeaway is that Tesla, like all companies, is in charge of their pricing. You don't know where it's going long-term and, frankly, neither do they. Because it depends upon market conditions.

So...you believe that the price of FSD is going to go UP if you don't purchase today ( just like they said when I purchased it )?

What if you do purchase it today and tomorrow they give it away for free......without EVER ROLLING THE PRODUCT OUT?

So...you believe that the price of FSD is going to go UP if you don't purchase today ( just like they said when I purchased it )?

What if you do purchase it today and tomorrow they give it away for free......without EVER ROLLING THE PRODUCT OUT?

It would trouble me greatly if they never rolled out a product that I had paid for. But if they want to give it away for free after I've paid for it - that's their prerogative. They own it because they created it. And we all know this world could use more creators and fewer whiners!

I can grow carrots in my garden and sell them for $3.99/bunch. Then, if I still have a bunch left, I can give them away for free. This does not affect the original purchasers at all.

It would trouble me greatly if they never rolled out a product that I had paid for. But if they want to give it away for free after I've paid for it - that's their prerogative. They own it because they created it. And we all know this world could use more creators and fewer whiners!

I can grow carrots in my garden and sell them for $3.99/bunch. Then, if I still have a bunch left, I can give them away for free. This does not affect the original purchasers at all.

Well thanks for your honesty.

Not everyone is built the same...which is why I believe there is so much discussion about this.

Reactions: Stirfelt
I no longer care about Tesla like I used too. They burnt my loyalty and trust. I paid 3k for FSD up front in 2018 because they told me it was more later. Only to find out they lied and its actually cheaper.

The after-purchase pricing was more back in 2018. Now it's cheaper than it was whether you get it with the car or buy it afterward.

I don't see how that's a "lie", they just lowered their prices.

• Disagree
Reactions: SunCharged
The after-purchase pricing was more back in 2018. Now it's cheaper than it was whether you get it with the car or buy it afterward.

I think the issue was a promise of "It will cost more later" that is the issue for many. If this happened after it was delivered to all customers the it would be a different issue. Even if it was not intentional the optics should have been considered based on the short time period, this is marketing/sales 101. This however is a great way to instill fear in future buyers and stall orders. Think how many new customers may delay orders waiting for price reductions like they do on commodity goods. I'll hold off on the Y until the reduce all the inflated options and demand-based pricing, I know I would now.

Last edited:
Reactions: CTreast
I think the issue was a promise of "It will cost more later" that is the issue for many.

I never saw them promise that. All I saw was that their previous pricing schedule was:

Cost with purchase: X
Cost post purchase: Y

Now they have new pricing:

Cost with purchase: A
Cost post purchase: B

If you want them to honor the higher post-purchase price of "Y", I bet they could accommodate you. Otherwise it will cost less now. But they can always adjust it higher or lower in the future.

This only troubles people who don't think Tesla should be able to adjust pricing at a later date to meet current market conditions.

Stealth.... this is what he and many others are saying.

Go back 6 months.

He purchased FSD back then with the promise by tesla that "You had better get it now because it will cost more later - if you don't".

TESLA NEVER produced FSD.

Flash forward to today.

If he would have waited until today to buy FSD....it would be cheaper than the price he paid for it. Tesla's threat that FSD will cost more later has not come to be true. As you state - its cheaper now - not more expensive as Tesla's threat said.

With the recent price drops, we all feel like we got screwed. I paid 60K for AWD model 3 with just EAP. But I knew there will be an upcoming price drop with 35K model 3. I wanted all the premium features and so far I love the car.

But lets get real. Tesla needs cash infusion badly right now, thats why they are doing massive drops in these software packages. With all the sales satff going away, its gonna be word of mouth to get customers.

If you want Tesla to survive and your car to hold its value, start promoting to non-EV owners cause come Monday, the stock is gonna tank for sure
I agree!
As an early adopter, I have free Supercharging on my Model S 100D and grandfathered free LTE connectivity, streaming entertainment ... on both my Model S & our Model 3 LR RWD.
Plus all the unparalleled pleasure of owning & driving Teslas from then until now.
So, getting back to what seems to be the point of this thread... “Promoting Tesla”
I have increased my Tesla logo’d wardrobe... Shirts, Sweatshirts & a Corporate Jacket. Trying to wear something “Tesla” as often as I can. I literally cannot go on an outing when wearing a Tesla logo item without being approached by someone interested in buying one, way more now than ever! -now that it is financially feasible.
Also get approached by other Tesla owners wanting to share their enthusiasm for the brand. It’s kind of crazy.
The new pricing will bring Teslas to the masses. It’s a difficult pivot. Let’s push it forward!

If he would have waited until today to buy FSD....it would be cheaper than the price he paid for it. Tesla's threat that FSD will cost more later has not come to be true. As you state - its cheaper now - not more expensive as Tesla's threat said.

Sigh,...The difference is that Tesla never represented that the after purchase price wouldn't change. That WAS the after purchase price at that point in time.

I bought the EAP for $5,000 on both my LR and P3D- but I decided to take my chances on FSD (because I knew the pricing could change in the future). I didn't know if it would go up or down but I was willing to take the risk it would go up. I hoped it got cheaper. Nobody (including Tesla) knew. But, had I purchased FSD for $3,000, I certainly wouldn't be complaining about it now because I made a deal and I've always been a man of my word. I respect purchase sale agreements and all other contracts made at a point in time, I don't try to re-visit them and say "things are different now, I want to change the terms of our agreement."

Sigh,...The difference is that Tesla never represented that the after purchase price wouldn't change. That WAS the after purchase price at that point in time.

I bought the EAP for $5,000 on both my LR and P3D- but I decided to take my chances on FSD (because I knew the pricing could change in the future). I didn't know if it would go up or down but I was willing to take the risk it would go up. I hoped it got cheaper. Nobody (including Tesla) knew. But, had I purchased FSD for $3,000, I certainly wouldn't be complaining about it now because I made a deal and I've always been a man of my word. I respect purchase sale agreements and all other contracts made at a point in time, I don't try to re-visit them and say "things are different now, I want to change the terms of our agreement."

I get it. I understand what you are saying.

However - it doesn't make the people with a differing opinion "wrong". ( and "no" you didn't say anyone was wrong ).

One of the reasons I believe Tesla is offering the "Early adoption program" to those who purchased both EAP and FSD earlier is because I believe they realized that there is an issue there. Even though the Early adoption program has absolutely NOTHING to do with EAP or FSD.... even TESLA recognized the issue in their own board rooms.

So.....

For someone that feels like Tesla did nothing wrong - fine.
For those that feel that Tesla did something wrong - fine.

Neither person is officially "wrong".

The problem in this forum ( and in the world in general ) is that "anyone who thinks differently than me is - Wrong "

My suggestion to everyone is that life would be so much easier if you just let people express themselves and ignore conversations you don't like. <------That statement is not directed directly at you Stealth.

Reactions: SunCharged
I get it. I understand what you are saying.

However - it doesn't make the people with a differing opinion "wrong". ( and "no" you didn't say anyone was wrong ).

Actually, I did say some people were wrong. Specifically, those who claim Tesla "lied". People who make that claim cannot back it up because Tesla never represented the prices for those things wouldn't change in the future. Obviously, there was no "lie" and people that insist there was, even after having been set straight on the facts, are simply irrational.

Of course I believe them. They are offering a limited time discount. You can bet your only pair of shoes the price will go up when the sale is over. After that, all bets are off. Eventually, it might end up as low as $1500 (for FSD being added to EAP) but I would be surprised if they drop it that low.

The main takeaway is that Tesla, like all companies, is in charge of their pricing. You don't know where it's going long-term and, frankly, neither do they. Because it depends upon market conditions.
I betting the opposite, no more FOMO from tesla for me. I'll wait for the FSD trial before purchasing.

That's not true at all.

The reason there is so much less negativity about it is because TESLA fixed the minor body issues.
I think they may have finally fixed all of my delivery issues as of last friday (seriously)! It only took 5 months since delivery and 9 months since $3500 deposit. Ok so now I finally have the car I paid for and can enjoy it like others. Wait what FSD is free now if I would have waited. *sugar*, I may as well have if I only I would have known it would take this long to get a proper car....

Last edited:
Actually, I did say some people were wrong. Specifically, those who claim Tesla "lied". People who make that claim cannot back it up because Tesla never represented the prices for those things wouldn't change in the future. Obviously, there was no "lie" and people that insist there was, even after having been set straight on the facts, are simply irrational.

I do have a question though.

Don't you believe that Tesla's statement ( past and current ) that says:

"IT WILL COST MORE LATER IF YOU DON'T BUY IT NOW".....is talking about the price in the future ( the future of the person making the purchase )?

Reactions: Glamisduner
I do have a question though.

Don't you believe that Tesla's statement ( past and current ) that says.

IT WILL COST MORE LATER IF YOU DON'T BUY IT NOW.....is talking about the price in the future ( for the person making the purchase )?

Yes. If you tried to buy FSD a week after your purchase, it did cost more. But after Tesla adjusted their pricing, it didn't. I believe it costs less with the new price schedule.

To those who are upset (and I get that, I really do).
1. When you purchased FSD didn’t it say features would come later and they didn’t know when that would be?
2. So did it say you were paying for a product that wasn’t yet available?
3. Did it say that the price was fixed for all time and couldn’t go down because of demand?

When I didn’t buy EAP or FSD 8 months ago I saw the answers as:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No

And so I didn’t want to buy the vaporware knowing this price adjustment could happen.
I was planning on waiting for a price drop when they needed to sell more units. Or for the software to advance enough for it to be worth it for me. Knowing that by that time the price could have just as well gone up to $10,000 for FSD with the need of new hardware when it finally becomes level 4. And if I don’t buy now it still could be. The current price (for me) is ~1/2 what it was last week. What will it be in 3 months if I don’t buy now? I dunno. But at $5k for both I’ll take my chances. If I don’t now then it could be double. Or by the time we have all the features it could be only the price of a hardware upgrade and they decide all Tesla’s get the software for free.

This isn’t about the price being adjusted, it’s about not being able to use the product before it’s adjusted. I know that sucks. IMO everyone who already paid for FSD should be given the price adjustment to reflect the current price because it’s not been delivered yet. But Tesla is under no obligation to do this. Just like they were under no obligation to lower the price for me to now pull the trigger (and as a shareholder I wish they hadn’t). If the price wasn’t adjusted I would have just waited until level 4 was live and bought then at whatever the price is.

To those who are upset (and I get that, I really do).

3. Did it say that the price was fixed for all time and couldn’t go down because of demand?
pardon my outsider-ness but from what Ive gathered here, weren't buyers faced with:
If you buy now: $5,000 If you buy later: $7,000 (I don't know the exact prices other than it was written, if you buy later, it will cost more)

pardon my outsider-ness but from what Ive gathered here, weren't buyers faced with:
If you buy now: $5,000 If you buy later: $7,000 (I don't know the exact prices other than it was written, if you buy later, it will cost more)
Before delivery price 1, after car is delivered price 2. Price 2 has been changed. It was when I bought the car 6,000, then it went to 7,000 now it’s 3,000. I might be wrong on those exact numbers. Just going off memory.

Yes. If you tried to buy FSD a week after your purchase, it did cost more. But after Tesla adjusted their pricing, it didn't. I believe it costs less with the new price schedule.

Everything you just stated is factual and concrete.

I don't look at the scenario the same way that you do. I look at the promise that Tesla made to me as a price on their product - not as a price on a contract. Just like if I purchased a Tesla car on contract and the car wasn't ready yet....and I waited and waited for a year. If the price of that car drops and I haven't received the car listed on that contract yet...I can reject the contract and not be forced to buy that car. Same holds true for FSD IMO.

I think the disconnect is ultimately that you don't care about the price going down on something you have never received - and that's fine.

Others do....soooo......

I believe that everyone is entitled to their comments about such things without being told that they are wrong.

Tesla really should get out of the pre-selling business and I hope that they now have enough capital dollars to do so.

Reactions: Thomas Edison
Well maybe they can lower the price now because they are expecting and can deliver a much higher run rate. The higher 2018 price was for a lower run rate. Thank you to those who bought in 2018 at the high price keeping Tesla going and making a higher run rate possible and thank you to those buying now for increasing the actual sales volume to allow for a lower price for AP/FSD for all of us! The goal is to beat ICE and it’s right here. You get a self driving safe car out of it too!

Reactions: StealthP3D