Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stories of your Model 3 phone-as-a-key FAILURES, give us a FOB, Tesla!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely the phone app waking up, at the bottom right of my phone screen it just spins and spins, and eventually maybe it works without an airplane mode on/off cycle. My S5 phone is Android 6.0.1 .

My 2011 Challenger R/T never had this problem in 3 years with the key fob, I changed its battery once. Put keys with fob in my pocket at the start of the day, leave it there all day, take it out at the end of the day. Simple. Leave phone in car whenever I wanted to.

Model 3 phone-as-a-key? Got to have the phone available to open the car or manually unlock it, got to be ready to switch the phone to the other hand to dig into my pocket for the key card if needed, every time I stop at a store or other location, I HAVE to take the phone in with me so the car can lock, and even if the phone unlocks the door that does not mean I can start the car every time. It's okay when it works, but even when it works I still have to take the phone into stores and places with me to get the car locked, and I never had to do that before, and it is not convenient. So even under the best circumstances the phone-as-a-key is still a pain.
Update your phone... You're driving the car of the future, maybe it's time to move forward in other areas of your life?

Here’s a couple of thoughts that I haven't seen elsewhere on the subject:

Keycard: Despite the downsides of the keycard, there are some real positives. FOBs do fail too - when batteries go low, or if they're submerged in water - but the keycard does not. So while it's not as versatile, it's more more reliable than a FOB. It's also MUCH cheaper than a replacement FOB. After more than two $100 OEM/aftermarket replacement FOBs, many manufacturers require expensive reprogramming or even MCU replacements. I've read that the keycards cost $5 to $7.50 at the service centers.

Digital Car Key specification: 'Digital Key' standard uses your phone to unlock your car Thanks to OTA updates, I'm pretty sure that Tesla can benefit from this standard as other manufacturers adopt it. IMHO, The *REAL* problem is fragmentation, from which Android devices suffer the most - but this spec and it's implementations will provide a better baseline to develop, test and improve. As more and more Android phones benefit from the Digital Car Key standard, I think we'll see huge boosts in reliability for cars that adopt the standard.

Yep, I'm an optimist. With an iPhone X. ;)

Thoughts?
So the service centers allow you to buy extra cards?

ONLY Telsa HAS 3 ways to get in your M3 and you want a 4th???

We have Bluetooth, works 99% here... when it failed one time time I open the APP and used LTE to unlock and start the car.... LTE is NOT the same as Bluetooth... and 3rd the card... many people forget about the app. I could unlock and start my car 100’s of miles away.. can’t do that in a BMW.

Reactions: bhzmark
ONLY Telsa HAS 3 ways to get in your M3 and you want a 4th???

We have Bluetooth, works 99% here... when it failed one time time I open the APP and used LTE to unlock and start the car.... LTE is NOT the same as Bluetooth... and 3rd the card... many people forget about the app. I could unlock and start my car 100’s of miles away.. can’t do that in a BMW.

I would like a 4th option too. One that doesn't need a hand and works 100% of the time like a key fob. The way it's now, it has a higher fail rate for me. Seem like every 2 to 3 days my phone will kill the Tesla app in the background.

Also now the Model 3 is like a Prius, there was one girl trying to open my doors and looking at her phone yesterday at Costco. Then I heard a horn and another Model 3 flashed it's lights two lanes down. She felt kinda annoyed. Not sure how many times she tried turning On and Off Airplane mode or hit the Lock/Unlock button on her phone before she tried honking and flashing.

Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Update your phone... You're driving the car of the future, maybe it's time to move forward in other areas of your life?

New phone guarantees nothing. I've seen plenty of people with current gen iOS and Android devices having problems too, while some others with 2-3 year old phones of both variety have had zero problems. There's no rhyme or reason to what works and doesn't work (though there are a few things that are practically guaranteed to break it, like not having the app running in the background).

Is there anyway to force an app update on Android other than deleting and reinstalling it? Don't see it in app manager (5.1.1)
If the Google Play Store doesn't show doesn't show an update available when you go to My Apps & Games > Updates, then there should be a button to check for updates. If that doesn't find anything... then I don't think there's anything you can do.

Yeah, and T9 typing sucks. Got any with a proper keyboard?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/blackberry-keyone-4g-lte-with-32gb-memory-cell-phone-unlocked-silver

And this is interesting.

BlackBerry KEY2 | BlackBerry Mobile Official Website

just delete all the icons except phone and text and Tesla and tell her it is a special Tesla edition blackberry.

And hope that she doesn't find out the truth and put Tinder on it. I've heard that its Tinder that causes all the problems with phone-as-key.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture