Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storing MS for the Winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Panacea

TSLA Shareholder/Believer
Feb 9, 2013
NJ
I have the 21 inch wheels with Continental tires and live in NJ. Not very practical for the winter but I couldn't help myself, loved the look. I know these are summer tires only and I was wondering when should I store the car for winter? Is it temperature dependent or snow dependent? I was thinking of buying these flat stoppers as well: Amazon.com: Race Ramps RR-FS Flatstopper (Pack of 4): Brute Industries: Automotive Do I need to do anything else besides plug it in my garage? I don't know if I will make it driving my Audi AWD and might just break down and buy 19 inch wheels with snow tires, lol.

Both. The 21" performance tires don't work well below 40F and they don't have the compound or tread pattern required for snow and ice. Those flatstoppers look as if they would do more harm than good. A set of jack stands and lowering the tire pressure to 10 psi would be far better--and probably cheaper.

I'd spring for the 19" w/snow tires and only drive the AWD when there's too much snow on the ground. That's my plan at least. My only question is whether to demount the tires and use the same rims for the winters. Not ideal but certainly cheaper.

I have the 21 inch wheels with Continental tires and live in NJ. Not very practical for the winter but I couldn't help myself, loved the look. I know these are summer tires only and I was wondering when should I store the car for winter? Is it temperature dependent or snow dependent? I was thinking of buying these flat stoppers as well: Amazon.com: Race Ramps RR-FS Flatstopper (Pack of 4): Brute Industries: Automotive Do I need to do anything else besides plug it in my garage? I don't know if I will make it driving my Audi AWD and might just break down and buy 19 inch wheels with snow tires, lol.

I got my MS last September and live in Pagosa Springs, CO, in the heart of the Rockies. On top of that I have a TOUGH driveway that ends in a sweeping turn and a 15% grade up to my garage at 8,000 ft. I have a P85 with 21" wheels. I knew that this would not work in the winter. I went ahead and got a set of 19" wheels with the Nokian Hakas. I am amazed at how well these work. In all but the worst deep powder days, I drove the MS without problems. The combination of the great, real traction control in the MS and the Hakas made the MS better than some 4WD SUVs. The noise of the studs is really annoying in an EV, but the Hakas are great.

The ski area that I go to many times a winter, Wolf Creek, is 100% wind powered. I make way more electricity at my house than my MS uses. With those two facts, I have many, many carbon free ski days last winter! :biggrin:

You spent enough on the MS, just spring for another set of rims and winter tires! With these, you can enjoy the MS all winter.