Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange noise on full throttle acceleration. Any ideas??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Likely its resolved by this new service bulletin SB-19-39-001 R2 Dated 25 June 2019 applies and is a replacement of LH front drive unit Clovis mount and both front halfshaft. Applicable to all MX & MS 2014-2019 (before May 2019)

Yes, I read that before I had my car at a SC (to fix multiple issues). The technician determined that the clanking noise was caused by the driveshafts as I suspected, but they would fix that at a later date :(

The creaking noise however sounds exactly as in dk10438’s video, do you mean that the driveshaft vibrations also can make that kind of sound? (His car also seems to have aftermarket wheels.)

Hi,
I just picked up this P100D inventory car and on full throttle acceleration I hear this noise. Already set up an appt with SC. Any ideas as to what this might be??

YES. I had this exact same noise.

Are you noticing its intermittent? If so, start looking at your air suspension ride height. Now, does it appear to be tied to having your ride height on "high?"

That was the issue for me, however my contention was that it shouldn't make a noise regardless of the suspension height. Here is the work that finally fixed the issue for me:

Correction: Halfshaft Assembly - Front - LH
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
HALFSHAFT, FR, LH, MODEL S HPDM
(1030615-00-B)
NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W (1020297-00-
A)
WASHER SAFETY M24x39 (1020296-00-B) 1
Correction: Halfshaft Assembly - Front - RH
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
HALFSHAFT, FR, RH, MODEL S HPDM
(1030616-00-B)
NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W (1020297-00-
A)
WASHER SAFETY M24x39 (1020296-00-B) 1
Correction: Jackshaft Assembly - Front
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity​

Reactions: Reyno626
Are you noticing its intermittent? If so, start looking at your air suspension ride height. Now, does it appear to be tied to having your ride height on "high?"
The problem here is that they say with the suspension in High (or Very High) the problem can happen, or this is when the damage is done.
I am fully aware of this so I always check I am in Standard or Low if I plan on driving hard, I know that there is times where I have been at Standard and when I recheck later in the drive I am back on High. No doubt caused by the GPS remembering where the car needs to raise but Tesla's software left it in High, why it doesn't take note of the current height and then return it to that once out of the auto raise area is beyond me.

The problem here is that they say with the suspension in High (or Very High) the problem can happen, or this is when the damage is done.
I am fully aware of this so I always check I am in Standard or Low if I plan on driving hard, I know that there is times where I have been at Standard and when I recheck later in the drive I am back on High. No doubt caused by the GPS remembering where the car needs to raise but Tesla's software left it in High, why it doesn't take note of the current height and then return it to that once out of the auto raise area is beyond me.

It does lower your height, but based on speed, not location.

Anyway, that was the exact same issue with my car, and the solution I previously listed was completed six months ago, and the noise has not returned yet.

It does lower your height, but based on speed, not location.
You see the issue though with how the system currently works?
If you are in slower city traffic with your suspension set to low (or very low) and you happen to go past a GPS tag that raises your suspension then you will be stuck in High or Very High until you get over a certain speed or manually change it back. If you are in city traffic the speed threshold probably won't be reached. If you forget to manually lower it again then the chances of taking off hard with the suspension set to Very High are, well, high ;)
And it doesn't help that the settings are buried too far into the menu tree.

I drops back down once you clear the geo fenced area, or at least mine does... but I have it set to always low...
I have not noticed that happening (I wish it worked like yours).
I tested this one day, I have to be in Very High to get out my driveway so when I leave home I am in Very High. I got to the end of the street and manually set it to Low, after passing by another geo tagged area it auto sets to Very High, I checked again in 5 mins after exiting that area and it had only dropped back to High.

I have not noticed that happening (I wish it worked like yours).
I tested this one day, I have to be in Very High to get out my driveway so when I leave home I am in Very High. I got to the end of the street and manually set it to Low, after passing by another geo tagged area it auto sets to Very High, I checked again in 5 mins after exiting that area and it had only dropped back to High.
This is how my car behaves too, it only lowers itself when exceeding the speed limit for a higher suspension setting. During hard acceleration it also sometimes RAISES the suspension from low to standard!? (Possibly at the speed when it would when decelerating at an off ramp.)
It seems like this happens if the suspension has recently been set to high (at a speed bump) then been manually lowered (outside of the raising zone to avoid deleting it)… Setting the lowering speed to always low solves this.

This is how I think the auto-raising should have been programmed:

1) Remember a position and a direction for when to raise the suspension. (As opposed to a zone.) Then you could raise the car only where needed on a road with a speed bump in just one direction and lower it (manually) immediately after.

2) Also remember lowering positions. (Instead of just lowering when exceeding the speed limit for a suspension height.)

3) Only delete a raising position when pressing the X in the auto-raising location popup. (Not also when lowering the car while the popup is showing.)

4) Never raise the suspension when accelerating unless approaching a raising position.

Is there a way to suggest improvements to Tesla? (New easter eggs are fun but given the choice I’d rather get bug fixes.)

Last edited:
You see the issue though with how the system currently works?
If you are in slower city traffic with your suspension set to low (or very low) and you happen to go past a GPS tag that raises your suspension then you will be stuck in High or Very High until you get over a certain speed or manually change it back. If you are in city traffic the speed threshold probably won't be reached. If you forget to manually lower it again then the chances of taking off hard with the suspension set to Very High are, well, high ;)
And it doesn't help that the settings are buried too far into the menu tree.

Absolutely. Which is why it seemed intermittent for me. I could never link it to ride height empirically. I had to be told.

I live in downtown Chicago. I set my ride height to very heigh to drive in alleyways, especially in snow. How quickly I would return to a standard ride height was always variable, in both time and location. Definitely hard to pin down if you aren't told.

I have this exact sound on my Model S Performance - 2300 miles, took delivery in September, and I believe it was August build date. I have a service appointment scheduled for next week for other items. I'll add this to the list and see what they say.
same here, exact same issue on my model S performance (also delivery September 2019). SC escalated to engineering since this was supposed to be solved in the new Raven models ... now the waiting game starts ...

• Informative
Reactions: Md7932
same here, exact same issue on my model S performance (also delivery September 2019). SC escalated to engineering since this was supposed to be solved in the new Raven models ... now the waiting game starts ...

Hello Edd ,
Is the issue fixt now? If so What did they do?
I have the same issue when accelerating with my model S.
From hard to a “bid” more then moderate.
SC said it is in the “tolerance” range. But I did not had the change to demonstrate thoroughly.
And I believe it’s becoming worse.
Also my front suspension is cracking.
So they are going to replace the L and R upper control arm.
But if their is a fix for the “half-Shaft shudder” then it would be great if they also do that.

I got my 90D in 2016, and i had 3 loaners over the period of my ownership of the 90d of p90d and p100d s had this issue when launching. I bought my new p100d (well... Ex demo) at 2500 miles aswell in jan, and same issue. Before this I borrowed 2 demo p100d s for 24hr test drives all had the same issue. It seems to be a design flaw with the vehicle. I cant fathom why this cannot get sorted out.... That is a total of 8 vehicles in the last 5 years with the same issue Ive seen.