Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange whirring noise when car is off [Update: fan noise while parked is not unusual]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really? My car does this every day without fail at work and home. Oddly enough it often times sleeps right away when it’s parked in a parking lot. Is it just the Wi-Fi connection that’s causing it to stay awake or something?

yap, it is important if you use teslafi as you need to set the sleep timer properly so it does not keep the car awake. Mine is actually set to 15min so the car would go to sleep in less than that.

It might be wifi, i have read reports that a weak wifi connection can keep the car awake. Might be worth deleting your wifi network.

I can only recommend looking into this sleep thing as you will burn a lot of electricity of a year if the car does not sleep properly. Idle Model 3 Uses 200-250W, sleepy Model 3 uses <25W.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I don’t have anything logged into the car, and I don’t check the app unless I’m preheating. I can move the car out of the garage and it usually goes to sleep almost immediately even though it’s still on WiFi. If I drive normally it usually takes spot on 2 hours to sleep every time. Very short drives don’t appear to trigger this though. Generally when it’s parked outside it sleeps much faster as well. I assumed it was some battery management routine and my somewhat aggressive driving leads to cell temperature imbalances or something that cause it to wait to try and equalize or something. Maybe it times out after 2 hours and that’s why it’s so consistent. The strange thing is I can drive it hard, and often it sleeps right away when parked in a cold windy parking lot. I’m not sure what the deal is, but most of the time it stays awake for roundabout 2 hours after every drive. I occasionally check the widget on my phone which won’t wake the car if it’s sleeping.

I don’t have anything logged into the car, and I don’t check the app unless I’m preheating. I can move the car out of the garage and it usually goes to sleep almost immediately even though it’s still on WiFi. If I drive normally it usually takes spot on 2 hours to sleep every time. Very short drives don’t appear to trigger this though. Generally when it’s parked outside it sleeps much faster as well. I assumed it was some battery management routine and my somewhat aggressive driving leads to cell temperature imbalances or something that cause it to wait to try and equalize or something. Maybe it times out after 2 hours and that’s why it’s so consistent. The strange thing is I can drive it hard, and often it sleeps right away when parked in a cold windy parking lot. I’m not sure what the deal is, but most of the time it stays awake for roundabout 2 hours after every drive. I occasionally check the widget on my phone which won’t wake the car if it’s sleeping.
cabin overheat protection?

I’ve mentioned this before. It’s some pump that ALWAYS runs when the car is awake. I can only really hear it when the car is parked in a quite garage at home. As for the comments with wifi. When the car is connected to wifi....it stays awake much longer. When it’s not connected to wifi the car goes to sleep within I think 15min. If you want to test it....Delete your wifi from the car and check it after 15min. I have two tell tale signs my car is awake. My radar connected to the 12v is still on and the whirring sound from the front.

I removed the wifi at home and work, and the car goes to sleep faster for sure. Now its maybe 5-30ish minutes. It saves something like ~4-5% a day from how it used to be awake half the day. It didn't have a very weak signal at either location though, there happens to be an AP fairly close in both spots, and its only transferring a few MB.

My SR+ is an insomniac and never sleeps it's costing me about 20+ miles a day/night when idle.
The noise is as described a quiet whirring sound from under the front wheel arches.
I have shut down everything I can find, removed wifi, removed apps from phone key and just used the card key.
That seems to have nailed it, now it's silent. I shall turn on things one by one until it re-occurs.