Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange window behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May be new "feature"???

A couple of days ago, after getting into my sun-heated car, I rolled down the front windows to circulate outside air quickly. Then, when I went to close them, the passenger window moved to the top and immediately rolled down!!??? I found that, after I stopped the car, I could open the passenger door and close the window normally.

Today, I entered the car, rolled down the passenger window and tried to roll it up. Upon reaching the UP position, it rolled down. I found that if I stopped the UP motion an inch or so from the top, then pushed the UP button again, it closed and stayed closed!

I don't often operate the passenger window, so I don't know how long the issue has existed -- perhaps from birth, in 2018.

This seems like a program bug, but there are so many possible combinations -- Park, Drive, Reverse; driver's side control,, passenger's side control, -- momentary operation, button-hold -- that I haven't cataloged the full set of combinations.

Is this a program bug? Anybody else experienced it?

Roger Bohl

Do the window reset procedure outlined in the owner's manual.

From memory, it's press and hold down the switch until the window is completely open and then keep holding for a couple of seconds. Then lift up to close and again hold for several seconds after the window is fully closed.

Reactions: Tz00
It occurred to me to read the manual, but I couldn't imagine that the behavior would be cited.

Later: I found the part of the manual and executed the instructions many times but, alas, the problem continues -- with either driver or passenger controls. As the manual says, "contact Tesla."

At least I understand that the "stops" evidently are programmable. Also, once the window is "UP," it behaves correctly when opening and closing the door. No breakage risk, for now.'

Off to Tesla.