Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting this message when landing at the Tesla Motors site:
Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.teslamotors.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more
NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

Is the problem on my end or their end?
Robin
They changed the company name nearly 3 years ago. Try www.tesla.com instead.

Some old links such as ir.teslamotors.com will redirect but it looks like they don't have one set up for www.teslamotors.com currently.

They changed the company name nearly 3 years ago. Try www.tesla.com instead.

Some old links such as ir.teslamotors.com will redirect but it looks like they don't have one set up for www.teslamotors.com currently.
I know they changed the name a long time ago, but the web page loaded normally from my bookmark until a few days ago. Something changed. Don't know what.
Robin

I know they changed the name a long time ago, but the web page loaded normally from my bookmark until a few days ago. Something changed. Don't know what.
Robin
Perhaps they no longer update the SSL certificate and someone messed up the URL redirect recently. If you try ir.teslamotors.com, you can see it will redirect. They just need to put in a redirect for *.teslamotors.com. The problem is on their end.

You can just update your bookmark to www.tesla.com to access their current site.

I just checked. The SSL certificate for their old teslamotors.com site expired a few days ago:

upload_2019-12-5_11-50-5.png

Reactions: N5329K
Robin

ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID is what's wrong.

CERT refers to the certificate used to validate the identify of the site.

The certificate has probably expired.

Another, possibility is that the date and time on the device from which you're accessing it has been reset so as far as your browser is concerned, the certificate isn't valid _yet_.

But, since I see the error as well, I just assume their certificate expired.

Indeed, on Firefox, it brings up a warning page.
Under Advanced hit View Certificate and you'll see that it expired on December 2nd 2019.

Reactions: N5329K
It amazes me that these kinds of things slip through the cracks in big companies (yes, I'm counting Tesla as a 'big' company). Whether it was intentional or an accident, still, I'd think the emails warning of SSL cert expiration would have ended up on someone's desk and they wouldn't just let it expire like this.

• Disagree
Reactions: DrtyJrze
It amazes me that these kinds of things slip through the cracks in big companies (yes, I'm counting Tesla as a 'big' company).

In 2003, Microsoft managed to let its hotmail.co.uk domain name expire, as reported here. Fortunately for Microsoft, it was snapped up by somebody who did not try to extort the company to get it back. Microsoft was a bit sluggish to respond -- perhaps because the person who bought the domain name left it configured so that everything kept working.

Today's Tesla certificate issue is less serious than a domain name expiring, in some sense -- the site is still reachable (if users disregard the warnings and opt to access the site, which really they shouldn't, by and large), whereas if the domain name were to expire and not be bought by a Good Samaritan, it would go down completely. The fact that Tesla is no longer officially using the teslamotors.com domain may be part of why the certificate renewal was overlooked -- although as you say, notices of the certificate expiring should have reached somebody, who should have done something about it.

When I went to my usual web link to look at the Tesla page today, I got this message from Google. I got it a couple of times last week as well.
Then I looked at the address for the web site. It was "teslamotors.com," not the newer Tesla.com. Apparently when the company changed its name a couple of years ago, they also changed the web site address, and i must never have altered the address in my file of "favorites" in Chrome. So Tesla had a redirect in place. maybe they have finally dropped that.
In any case, i am a bit embarrassed to admit that i may have been using an old link for some time, years, maybe -- but it worked fine until 3 or 4 days ago.

By the way -- i could not find a category in the forums that seemed correct for issues related to Tesla's website. So this forum is an arbitrary choice. Moderators, feel free to move this to a better forum if you like!

Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.teslamotors.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more

NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID
Help improve Chrome security by sending URLs of some pages you visit, limited system information, and some page content to Google. Privacy policy
www.teslamotors.com normally uses encryption to protect your information. When Google Chrome tried to connect to www.teslamotors.com this time, the website sent back unusual and incorrect credentials. This may happen when an attacker is trying to pretend to be www.teslamotors.com, or a Wi-Fi sign-in screen has interrupted the connection. Your information is still secure because Google Chrome stopped the connection before any data was exchanged.

You cannot visit www.teslamotors.com right now because the website uses HSTS. Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later.

The redirect to Tesla.com still works if you ignore your browser’s warnings and connect to teslamotors.com anyway. But the SSL security certificate has expired, which is odd since Tesla still owns the teslamotors.com domain and has it pointing to Tesla.com. You’d think some Tesla IT person wouldn’t have made that rookie mistake.