TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Stratechery article on Tesla

Discussion in 'News' started by SpiceWare, Apr 6, 2016.

1. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

It's a Tesla by Ben Thompson. Based on other articles I've read, he has good insight into the tech industry.

On GM being "first" to mass-market with the Bolt:

• Informative x 2
  2. ModelZ

ModelZ Member

Ben's article is very insightful (as are all of his articles). It's a great read if you've got the time.

(I'm a subscriber of Stratechery, so I might be a bit biased)

3. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

I've been debating whether or not to subscribe for a while, finally did today.

He has a nice followup on It's a Tesla, in the subscriber only section, where he mentions:

• Like x 1
  4. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

Odd , for some reason I can't post a new news article. Ran across an EV hit piece today, wonder if it's funded by the Koch brothers:

BRIAN WISE: The electric car conundrum

5. cschock

cschock Member

I don't know that that is an EV hit piece, though perhaps it is indirectly. I am Pro-EV, pro-solar, about as green as you can get and I HATE that the monopoly power companies are trying to build "charging networks." Our local utility PG&E is trying to get this approved. They want to build a bucket load of charging stations. In theory, this sounds OK. But the reality is that the small scale "location charging" they want to build isn't the problem and they are highly unlikely to make money at it, thereby hitting rate payers for a poor business investment, again.

I am all for supporting the electrification of transportation. I just don't see why we should hand another monopoly over to a generally poorly run, rent seeking set of already existing monopolies. They can't maintain their gas lines, they fight solar tooth and nail, and we want to trust them with the future of transportation? I don't think that's a good idea.

6. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

These are both subjective evaluations.

Is the Bolt ugly? I'd say it looks like a mainstream Chevrolet except for the shorter front end. Mainstream Chevy's are popular and sell in large volume. The Bolt isn't a "weirdmobile" with an oddball appearance like the LEAF.

Is the Bolt "relatively slow"? Average people that I'm familiar with don't consider 0-60 mph in 6.5-7.0 seconds to be slow. Certainly not for a car of the Bolt's general design, utility, and size class. Is it the fastest? No, probably not but there is a big difference between "not the fastest" and "relatively slow".

7. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

Ah, we don't have monopoly power companies here* so I've not encountered that. If that's the case then yes, there is a conflict.

However, since it's interspersed with comments like "if you run out of power you have an $80k paperweight" its definitely being used to spreading some EV FUD. The same thing happens all the time with gas cars, and nobody writes them off as paperweights.

* Looks like I currently have 345 plans from 46 companies (if I counted them correctly) that I can chose from.

8. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

I agree that the appearance is subjective. The article's comparing it with Tesla though, against which most cars are relatively slow.

9. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

Hmm. I didn't read it that way. I read it as a general statement about plugin cars or maybe BEVs relative to general market expectations.

He sez:
    Only Tesla met "expectations" (apparently relative to ICE competitors). So I read the claim to be that the Bolt at 0-60 mph in 6.5-7.0 seconds is "relatively slow" compared to other (ICE) compact-ish CUV/hatchbacks. I think that's an odd claim.