TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Streaming audio via bluetooth, but not with a phone?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by sduck, Jun 26, 2018.

1. sduck

sduck Member

The audio input choices show a radio, USB, streaming radio, and phone. (I think, don't have the pic in front of me, and will be getting my car next week). Is it possible to connect a non-phone bluetooth audio device? I've got several of those little Tao bluetooth transmit/receive bluetooth device that you can connect to older audio devices - will these work? Has anyone actually done this - any problems or testimonials?

I also have an Agptek bluetooth mp3 player - same question - will it connect?

2. sduck

sduck Member

bump in case the person who can answer this didn't scroll to the 4th page

3. RTPGiants

RTPGiants Member

I don't have a direct answer, but broadly Bluetooth works on a services methodology. A device advertises it has "XYZ" services available. I'm not 100% sure what the streaming audio service is, but if another device advertises the same services a phone does I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'm sure the UI will still say it's "phone", but that's sort of irrelevant to functionality.

4. KFORE

KFORE Member

Yes, you can add any Bluetooth audio device as a "phone." I wish they titled it "Bluetooth" instead of phone, but it works perfectly with several BT devices that weren't phones so far.

• Informative x 1
  5. sduck

sduck Member

Thanks for the info! The manual doesn't go into any depth on this - mentions the numbers you have to match between the car and the phone, but if your bluetooth transmitter doesn't have a screen, it gets a bit confusing.

6. TT97

TT97 Active Member

If you connect a non-phone Bluetooth, I am guessing you also can't connect your phone? So, no phone calls possible when connecting something else?

7. sduck

sduck Member

Yes, that is what I've been told. Only one active bluetooth connection at a time. Which is fine with me - I don't like talking on the phone when I'm driving anyway.