Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Streaming Free For a Year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first Model S is now 6 years old (2102-2018) and still has free streaming... :cool:

The S also gives you free supercharging, not sure you can compare.

I based my statement of four years free streaming based on the owner's manual P. 91 stating "Note: Tesla also provides you with a complimentary Streaming Personal Radio account for four years." Then again, if Elon wrote the Owner's Manual, those 4 years could easily be 6-10.

I could care less about streaming. I care more about the free data. Internet. For google maps and remote access to the car.

I don’t think there should be a problem with that. Clearly the data Tesla gets from its entire fleet is very important to their EAP and FSD development. I believe they’ll at least keep basic data access for free so that they continue collecting vast amounts of road data.

I don’t think there should be a problem with that. Clearly the data Tesla gets from its entire fleet is very important to their EAP and FSD development. I believe they’ll at least keep basic data access for free so that they continue collecting vast amounts of road data.

This is precisely why they have not announced any plans. I think it is very difficult for them to differentiate exactly how much data software updates and Road Planning/mapping for EAP and FSD use up in comparison to the small amount used for streaming and google maps.

This is precisely why they have not announced any plans. I think it is very difficult for them to differentiate exactly how much data software updates and Road Planning/mapping for EAP and FSD use up in comparison to the small amount used for streaming and google maps.

that shouldn't be difficult at all

Obviously those requests are using different services, and different servers- so they should know exactly how much data each is using.

My expectation is they're planning to leverage the spacex satellite internet service once it's up and running and don't want to bother with setting up a billing system for the current system as a bridge to that since it's not ready yet.

As large #s of 3s get out there, if the spacex systems in service date slips back significantly, they may have to revisit that decision though.

that shouldn't be difficult at all

Obviously those requests are using different services, and different servers- so they should know exactly how much data each is using.

My expectation is they're planning to leverage the spacex satellite internet service once it's up and running and don't want to bother with setting up a billing system for the current system as a bridge to that since it's not ready yet.

As large #s of 3s get out there, if the spacex systems in service date slips back significantly, they may have to revisit that decision though.

IT IS difficult, I remember reading a article on it regarding incremental packets being sent.As for the SpaceX service, that simple will not be possible. It does not work the way you think it does. The antenna required on land is a flat phased array antenna the size of a large pizza box.

IT IS difficult, I remember reading a article on it regarding incremental packets being sent

That doesn't really make any sense.

The car knows where each packet is going, and why (it has to- that's kind of how routing works)

This is data they already have

I
.As for the SpaceX service, that simple will not be possible. It does not work the way you think it does. The antenna required on land is a flat phased array antenna the size of a large pizza box.

Pizza box yes- large isn't what I've read though

r/Starlink - Starlink FAQ

It will use a flat Phased Array antenna about the size of a pizza box or laptop computer and expected to cost between $100 and $300.

I suppose an alternative though would be to mount on fixed locations, especially with the new laws in many states granting "free" right of way to new fast mobile network equipment... and then also pair with LTE repeaters for mobile coverage of cars- dunno where they'd get the LTE frequency bandwidth from though.... possibly they could trade backhaul capacity for LTE bandwidth usage with an existing mobile company and offset their costs that way- that'd let them just stick the antennas on existing cell towers.

I suppose an alternative though would be to mount on fixed locations, especially with the new laws in many states granting "free" right of way to new fast mobile network equipment... and then also pair with LTE repeaters for mobile coverage of cars- dunno where they'd get the LTE frequency bandwidth from though.... possibly they could trade backhaul capacity for LTE bandwidth usage with an existing mobile company and offset their costs that way- that'd let them just stick the antennas on existing cell towers.

It makes 0 sense to use Starlink for the cars. Starlink requires line of sight. Meaning that it will not work in any tunnels, garages, parking structures, underground, etc.

That doesn't really make any sense.

The car knows where each packet is going, and why (it has to- that's kind of how routing works)

This is data they already have

The car does not "know" where each packet is going. The car does DNS resolution for the service it's trying to reach, finds an IP address that it's trying to reach and ships the packet out the default gateway for the service provider it has an IP address on.

The car doesn't know jock shot about where the packet actually goes beyond that point.

You could potentially lock it down at the app/service level so that if an owner has no paid data plan then specific apps/functions are restricted from accessing while leaving other vehicle functions alone. That is doable but not as trivial as you make it sound.