Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US pre-Highland / Highland split at model year and calendar year 2023 / 2024?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For US production, did the pre-Highland / Highland split occur exactly at the model year (2023 / 2024) and calendar year (2023 / 2024)?

I.e. were all pre-Highland Model 3 model year 2023 or earlier, produced no later than December 2023, and were all Highland Model 3 model year 2024 or later, produced no earlier than January 2024?

Reactions: GonePlaid
I don’t know, but Tesla typically changes to the new model year in December or even earlier, so I wouldn’t assume all 2024 Model 3’s are Highland. Someone who took delivery early this year can probably answer your question.

Are you asking for a specific reason, or just curious?

Just curious.

It would make sense from Tesla's point of view to split non-Highland / Highland at least on the model year 2023 / 2024, since there are regulated aspects that changed (EPA economy and range and possibly safety certifications), so not having to do regulatory certification for a small number of vehicles crossing the model year boundary saves them some cost.

It is true that Tesla has changed some regulated aspects mid model year, such as the addition of the 55 kWh LFP battery in 2021 and the LG long range battery in 2023. But they switched to the 60 kWh LFP battery at exactly the start of the 2022 model year, probably to avoid extra permutations of regulatory certification.

For US production, did the pre-Highland / Highland split occur exactly at the model year (2023 / 2024) and calendar year (2023 / 2024)?

I.e. were all pre-Highland Model 3 model year 2023 or earlier, produced no later than December 2023, and were all Highland Model 3 model year 2024 or later, produced no earlier than January 2024?
Yes, for the Model 3 in the United States all of the 2023 Model year cars built were not the “Reengineered” Model 3 cars. All 2024 Model 3 RWD and 2024 Model 3 LR cars are “Reengineered” Model 3s.

However, it is possible but not likely that 2023 Model year cars could have been produced in 2024. It is also possible and perhaps even likely that 2024 Model year Model 3s were produced in 2023.

So far they have not built/sold any 2024 Model 3 Performance cars. However, it is likely that they will announce a 2024 “Reengineered” Model 3 Ludicrous in the next few days.

However, it is possible but not likely that 2023 Model year cars could have been produced in 2024. It is also possible and perhaps even likely that 2024 Model year Model 3s were produced in 2023.
A model year N vehicle may be produced for the US from January 2, N-1 through December 31, N, according to a combination of the regulations linked below.

This means that no model year 2023 vehicles for the US were made after December 31, 2023, but model year 2024 vehicles for the US could have been made as early as January 2, 2023.

It would be interesting to see if any Highland cars in the US had build dates in 2023, or any pre-Highland cars in the US had VINs with model year 2024.

• Informative
Reactions: mborkow
I don’t know, but Tesla typically changes to the new model year in December or even earlier, so I wouldn’t assume all 2024 Model 3’s are Highland. Someone who took delivery early this year can probably answer your question.

Are you asking for a specific reason, or just curious?
I'm reminded of the early Model 3 days, when anyone would make reference to, or ask a question referring to, their car's model year and they'd get shouted down that "Tesla doesn't do model years!" I can't remember what exactly prompted that often trumpeted assertion but looking back its interesting.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I'm reminded of the early Model 3 days, when anyone would make reference to, or ask a question referring to, their car's model year and they'd get shouted down that "Tesla doesn't do model years!" I can't remember what exactly prompted that often trumpeted assertion but looking back its interesting.
The reason for that assertion was that Tesla, unlike other automakers, introduced hardware changes at various times during the year, rather than at the beginning of a model year. So, when talking about hardware features, the model year isn’t relevant, but of course it matters to insurance companies and some used car buyers.

The reason for that assertion was that Tesla, unlike other automakers, introduced hardware changes at various times during the year, rather than at the beginning of a model year. So, when talking about hardware features, the model year isn’t relevant, but of course it matters to insurance companies and some used car buyers.
Other companies do that as well, but usually in a more limited way, at least for customer-visible stuff.

However, Tesla, like other companies, is more likely to align changes that affect regulatory certification with model years, in order not to have to do extra certifications. This is not always the case, such as when they want to make a change in the middle of the year (e.g. 55 kWh LFP battery in 2021, or LG long range battery in 2023), but it is likely not a coincidence that some changes that affect EPA economy and range happened exactly on model year boundaries (e.g. heat pump, some of the other battery changes, and it looks like Highland). Of course, model year boundaries are quite flexible as well, so Tesla can decide that the new model year starts whenever they are ready to make the change affecting regulatory certification.

Reactions: Adam3