Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Street parking a Tesla in San Francisco -- bad idea?

Street parking long term

• Good idea

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Bad idea

Votes: 26 92.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Take a look at The San Francisco Car Break-In Tracker... the stats are the worst in the nation.

upload_2020-2-7_23-7-23.png

I lived on Portrero (20th & Missouri) and parked on the street with my Audi S4 (similar price point as M3) for 3 years with no issue, but that was 11 years ago.

Potrero has neighborhoods within the neighborhood, so it may be tough to generalize as I probably wouldn't have done it in some part of the Hill.

I'd wait for some current locals to chime in and more specificity about your location (not exact address) could help.

Potrero has neighborhoods within the neighborhood, so it may be tough to generalize as I probably wouldn't have done it in some part of the Hill.

I'd wait for some current locals to chime in and more specificity about your location (not exact address) could help.

Thanks drewski. As it turns out, I am also near 20th & Missouri (by the elementary school).

Hi all,

I am considering a Model 3, but I don't have a garage.

Does anyone live near Potrero Hill and park their Tesla on the street long-term?
Are the dents, window smashings, etc inevitable?

Thanks!
I don't think it's a Model 3 specific issue. I saw many cars vandalized,
but I imagine that people (mostly tourists) might have forget to remove a backpack from the rear seat.

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan
The stats are unfortunate. While I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this in many areas of California (Studio City is pretty bad too), I especially wouldn't do this in San Francisco given the statistics. If you're not already a homeowner, I'd consider moving and finding a place with a garage if you want to keep a nice car. If you're in tech, I'd ask to work from home and then go somewhere where your tech money goes much further (CA or otherwise). If you're in a field that's easily replaced anywhere else I'd move almost anywhere else (maybe even another state). This is what I would do if it were me. I'm in tech and California has the highest concentration of jobs for the work I do, but Texas is quickly coming up too and it's much cheaper to live there. And, I've lived in Silicon Valley. I know first hand how...unreasonable...property can be there both with availability and pricing.

More and more companies are amenable to their employees working from home, so that's a plus. This means some people are making Silicon Valley tech money but not beholden to the awful Silicon Valley housing market (or the San Francisco parking situation). One of those people is my brother, who wasn't even in the same state for a number of years as his CA tech employer.

Having had cars stolen and vandalized myself, I know how awful this is. I made a point in 2004 to get a home with a garage after the last break-in of a 2-week old car where thieves did thousands in damage to get my Recaro Seats. I was in a terrible area for car theft of all types and my new landlord was cutting all of our trees down. This upset me so much that I made buying a home priority number one. I resolved to make my home a priority no matter where the job market tried to take me, and it all worked out. But, there were some downsides, such as having to rent a second apartment for a few years as I worked for employers too far away for a commute.

Eventually I was able to commute to a job from where I live now, and ultimately was able to secure a work-from-home position with full benefits (not just freelance, which has its own downsides). My bro has been working from home as a full employee in tech for 16 years or so. Works for one tech company but lives where he wants.

I'd reassess. Garage first, then Tesla.

The window smashings are mostly perpetrated by organized gangs. If you decide to go with it, make it a habit to lower the back seats while parked to show the idiots that your trunk is empty. BTW, the window break-ins frequently happen in tourist hotspots and posh areas (high-end shopping malls etc.) all around the Bay Area, so a good neighborhood doesn't necessarily mean you're safe.

Reactions: Sherlo
I just want to second the comment above about this not be a Tesla thing but more a San Fran thing.
I live on the outskirts of a large town 30 minutes outside Green Bay and I know folks that never take keys out of their cars.

On to the Tesla part, if you have to park on the street what is your charging plan? If work has chargers great, if you think you are going to rely on public L2 and supercharging I would second the house before Tesla.

I just want to second the comment above about this not be a Tesla thing but more a San Fran thing.
I live on the outskirts of a large town 30 minutes outside Green Bay and I know folks that never take keys out of their cars.

On to the Tesla part, if you have to park on the street what is your charging plan? If work has chargers great, if you think you are going to rely on public L2 and supercharging I would second the house before Tesla.

Definitely a San Francisco thing first, though none of this is helped by Tesla being a high-end car by perception and reality.