Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stripped screw on soft top

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The screw for the little tension cord on my soft top stripped out of the hard rubber that rolls over the windows. Super glue worked for awhile, but with the weather being nicer and the top coming on and off a lot more it looks like that's no longer an option.

photo.JPG

Anyone have any suggestions short of replacing the entire soft top?

I like permanent solutions (drill and screw as proposed by NigelM.) Shoe goo is really great stuff, but I don't know how much tension this has to hold.
If super glue held it for a while, I'd try epoxy: Get the slow drying kind and tape the area (so it stays in place) before applying. Make sure you mix it well and that you wait the recommended drying time (usually 24 hours) before taking the tape off and putting any load on it.

Oh - and make sure you get all of the loose super glue and any other junk out of the area before doing anything. I prefer acetone (be careful not to get any on the top - it will probably stain and weaken it!)

Last edited:
Wow... turns out this warrants an entirely new soft top straight from Tesla free of charge. One phone call and a FWD email and done.

Seems like a REALLY expensive replacement for a $.25 screw. That's pretty remarkable customer service, particularly for a non-original owner.

If they can keep that up through the S and X series (without going bankrupt), look out.

Seems like a REALLY expensive replacement for a $.25 screw.
The rubber is stripped, not the screw. Sorry, that wasn't clear.
If the screw was stripped, they'd probably have sent you a new screw. But the rubber piece is probably very hard to replace. Good for them, taking care of it so quickly!

(And that mesh top is great on hot, sunny days. I wish we'd get some of those.)

Off-topic ... go to this link for further Mesh Top conversation.

On another note....... Just got a mesh top from Taylormeshtops.com. It is really for the lotus but fits tesla just right. Go to the website and check it out. It is really very cool!!!

They advertise for Tesla too. Vfx, a well-respected member of this forum, is the right person to talk to, Their facebook page has pics of both Lotus and Tesla sporting the mesh.