Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strong Winds on Roadtrip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All - doing my first roadtrip from Illinois to Florida tomorrow. I see the forecast is showing "windy" and predicting winds in the 30-35 mph range for the beginning of my trip. Should I expect this to have a significant impact to my range? Will the range the computer is predicting I will be at when I arrive at the next supercharger be way off? Thanks for the help.

Head and side winds can certainly impact range and efficiency. Under these conditions, it’s wise to add some extra charge when supercharging probably in the ballpark of 10-20%. May also find yourself making a few extra charging stops depending on the extent of the windy conditions. You’ll be able to sensibly adjust as you go.

Reactions: John in LB
Use the Nav and as you drive the projections for charging will change based on all inputs - wind, elevation, etc... If using extra juice it may tell you to stop earlier and charge longer than originally projected. It may also tell you to slow to a certain speed to make it to the next charger. All of this happens on the fly, just follow the instructions and you'll be fine.