Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subaru Recall - Double Standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just though I would share a recent recall that Subaru is issuing for welds missing on their new 2019 Ascent. Good on Subaru for issuing a recall, but remember that they were also recently caught with emissions cheating.

Owners of Recalled 2019 Subaru Ascent SUVs to Get Brand-New Vehicles

https://jalopnik.com/subaru-employees-altered-fuel-economy-and-emissions-dat-1825720983

I think these are important to share in the Model 3 forums because the Model 3 is so highly scrutinized by the media for build quality. If Tesla had accidentally forgotten to perform certain welds and issued a recall the media would be flipping their lid right now. Instead, Subaru quietly gets a few headlines and that's it.

Don't let anyone tell you that other automakers are issue free. ICE cars catch on fire every day, and recalls are issued nearly every month. Nobody is perfect.

I think Tesla's in general are highly scrutinized. They are trying to shake things up in many good ways but also at the cost of making mistakes other manufacturers have solved through years of experience. They don't have a reputation for build quality and QC and owners need to call them out on this BS. No other car company delivers cars that have major paint issues, body panel alignment issues, dust, grease marks, etc around the vehicle.

Agreed.

I had recalls on my Jeep every few months. However most are just due to the owners pure stupidity. Like floormats on the gas pedals with Toyota. Chryslers was when exiting the vehicle the individuals wouldn't check to make sure the vehicle was in park. Resulting in a few people being ran over by their vehicle. You cant make this stuff up.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
I think Tesla's in general are highly scrutinized. They are trying to shake things up in many good ways but also at the cost of making mistakes other manufacturers have solved through years of experience. They don't have a reputation for build quality and QC and owners need to call them out on this BS. No other car company delivers cars that have major paint issues, body panel alignment issues, dust, grease marks, etc around the vehicle.

I think if there wasn't the pressure on Tesla that there is to meet numbers many of these issues, mostly categorized as minor in the scheme of things, would have been caught and corrected before leaving the factory. They fix a great many of them at the service centers but yes not the way ideally it should work...not from the company's standpoint or the new owners'; and it transfers the pressure to the service center workers. They are a young company with new technology and still getting compared to companies that have had decades to work out their production issues and get a large workforce trained. Plus they have the auto manufacturers, resistant suppliers and various employees, oil companies and media who have large advertising budgets with these guys trying to diss you every day in the press and stock market. I totally get why Elon wants to take Tesla private and am thinking it's a good idea at this point.

As far as calling them out on this BS, I think Tesla knows what it needs to improve on. Given how many Model 3s its selling now, we're not hearing about thousands of cars with issues so I take the complaints I do hear with a grain of salt and keep in perspective. It needs the workforce in numbers to handle this. Given how they have been ramping up Model 3 with limited sales due to production numbers (until now) and still trying to expand the entire business for Model S, X, 3, charging stations, solar and making advances in technology while making improvements to autopilot/FSD, they have taken on a lot for such a young company and I think are doing a remarkable job given the challenges.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
No other car company delivers cars that have major paint issues, body panel alignment issues, dust, grease marks, etc around the vehicle.

Yeah, see, this whole statement was the point of my post. They do. Other automakers 100% do have major issues with paint, body panels, and markings. I sat in a Civic Type R before buying my Model 3 that was loaded with marks and scuffs. That car was at a dealership for sale after being at an Auto Show...where the public was interacting with it...and was marked up $5k over MSRP.

Again, don't trust statements like this above. Auto makers big and small suffer "major issues". A dealer doesn't care. They just care about selling the car and getting paperwork singed.