Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Submitting a bug report

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Twiglett

Single pedal driver
Oct 3, 2014
Austin
Has anyone tried submitting bug reports from the car?
From some earlier discussions there were several comments that "bug report" was deprecated, but a recent Elon tweet suggests that isn't the case.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1001870372403167232

Every time I try to use either "bug report" or "note" it just pops up a message that says Thank you for your feedback, but I don't get a chance to add anything to it.
Doesn't make sense to me.

Anyone else had a different experience

Yes, I submitted three yesterday. Just press voice command and say, "Bug Report" and then state your message. It's a little tricky because you have to say bug report and then immediately say your message as if they are part of the same sentence (no pause) and it will only take one sentence, so you have to be concise. Afterward, it will give you a message back that says, "Thanks for your feedback"

FYI... taken from the manual published on August 1, 2018:

"Note: You can also use voice commands to provide feedback to Tesla. Say "Note", "Report", "Bug note", or "Bug report" followed by your brief comments. Model 3 takes a snapshot of its systems, including your current location, vehicle diagnostic data, and screen captures of the touchscreen. Tesla periodically reviews these notes and uses them to continue improving Model 3."

I doubt anyone from Tesla is actually reviewing these, but it makes me feel better. There's an incorrect speed limit on a road I drive every day that I've been reporting for at least a month and nothing has changed yet.

This is my exact problem! I have a straight stretch of road that has a speed limit of 55 MPH. Everyone (literally everyone, including police I've seen there) drives 65 MPH on this stretch and it still feels very safe at that speed. The problem is, Tesla seems to think that the speed limit is 45 MPH. As you might imagine, trying to use Autopilot here - increasing speed to a generous 50 MPH at the most - would actually prove to be incredibly unsafe! So I'm stuck... not using EAP on this daily stretch of my commute. It's obviously not detrimental to my life, but it would be really nice.

I've submitted three of four bug reports over the past three months and nothing has changed.

One thing this did solidify in my mind is that my Model 3 is definitely not seeing the speed limit signs, interpreting them and acting accordingly as some here have theorized. Do we have any recent definitive data that the Model 3 is supposed to be doing that?

I've done it many times. Just press the right-side steering wheel button and release it, wait for the confirmation beep, then speak. Start talking with "Bug report ....." then you have something like 6-8 seconds to state your bud report. The screen will show the voice dictation that it records, then a confirmation that it was captured/submitted.

I have a bit of an update on the street sign situation. Thanks for the reply on that, SVMike.

I've been in a fantastic email conversation with a support agent (Mary M.). Her first recommendation was rightfully for me to not only perform the two levels of soft reset (holding both buttons on the steering wheel, followed by holding both buttons and the brake pedal, if the first one didn't work) but also a hard reset (Touch Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off).

It seemed to be her opinion that the car SHOULD be seeing the street signs and registering the change.

> It's possible the cameras are not picking up the speed limit markers.

She promptly followed-up with this.

> At this time Enhanced Auto Pilot uses both cameras and navigation to determine speed limits and road markings. Upon further review of your vehicle, it appears there have been several failed software updates. This is most likely the cause of your issue. I would recommend scheduling a service appointment so we can get your vehicle updated.

I can confirm that I've been seeing messages around failed software updates whenever I. In fact, I don't recall seeing a single "success" message after updating! Strangely, I have the functionality described in the release notes (at least, I appear to - I might be missing some not-so-obvious functionality like this one). The interesting bits are that 1. it seems to be failing near the end of the updates and 2. either subsequent updates fail because the previous one did, or there is some overarching cause for these to all be failing.

Nonetheless, I'm taking it in to the service center in a few weeks (since I have a door rattle in my driver side door as well) and will report back here with what happens.

It is frustrating when a report is "submitted" that was not transcribed properly, or was truncated. Be nice to have a "submit" and "cancel" button! I've always wondered if there was a word limit or a time limit for the recording. I agree that it is about six seconds that you have!

I can also confirm that *somebody* sees these reports. When I was last in service for my blank screen issue, I was told, "Yes, we see that you have reported it more than 20 times." So there's that.

Bug reports do help and do work, but they are not as easy as a pic. A more real world and helpful method is to take a pick or video with your phone. The time stamp is the most important part. Took my car in for a regen concern and had pics of the display. They said it helped and made diag faster.

Bug reports do help and do work, but they are not as easy as a pic. A more real world and helpful method is to take a pick or video with your phone. The time stamp is the most important part. Took my car in for a regen concern and had pics of the display. They said it helped and made diag faster.
I contend that bug reports are much easier than a video... because a report can be done after the fact. A video needs to start before the incident happens (hoping that it actually happens this time). That means going out of my way to record the thing (which I did with my blank screen episode when they asked me to do so). It wasn't "easy." But I agree that it was helpful. Basically they went from not believing me to crying "uncle" and asking me to stop... since I was submitting one video a day for like three weeks. Man, that sure makes driving enjoyable! NOT.

I was speaking to the regional Tech Support agent (not the one in my SvC) for my upcoming service appt. and was told that the bug reports live in your car. If you have an issue with your Tesla, the repair people can extract it and get the data from your car back when you submitted the bug report.

If you want to add suggestions you need to let someone know you have created them. Or just contact the chat support people and let them know your suggestion. They have a database of them they can add yours into.

I mentioned that that seemed untenable and with all the mistakes Google has made recording my bug reports there really should be a way to edit them on your phone and submit them when you have polished them. He said that is one of their biggest issues people request, so it may be something we see sooner rather than later.

It sounds like eventually, they will look in everyone's cars for the text of bug reports, but not a priority with all the other stuff Tesla is working on.

-Randy

Reactions: RobbL
I was speaking to the regional Tech Support agent (not the one in my SvC) for my upcoming service appt. and was told that the bug reports live in your car. If you have an issue with your Tesla, the repair people can extract it and get the data from your car back when you submitted the bug report.

If you want to add suggestions you need to let someone know you have created them. Or just contact the chat support people and let them know your suggestion. They have a database of them they can add yours into.

I mentioned that that seemed untenable and with all the mistakes Google has made recording my bug reports there really should be a way to edit them on your phone and submit them when you have polished them. He said that is one of their biggest issues people request, so it may be something we see sooner rather than later.

It sounds like eventually, they will look in everyone's cars for the text of bug reports, but not a priority with all the other stuff Tesla is working on.

-Randy
Interesting info. I thought for sure that those reports were sent... and in fact I have what I consider to be pretty solid evidence that supports this. I spent weeks communicating with my local service center about by blank screen issue before finally taking it in. When I arrived, parked and stepped up to the counter to check in, the service guy clicked away for a bit, and then said, "Oh, I see you've reported this from the car many times in the past two months."

So, they either ran right out to my car to download, or they have some instant wireless read on my car. Somehow, they were aware of my in-car reports the instant that arrived at the service counter.

No matter what, I agree that there needs to be a streamlined, efficient way to report issues that are actually read and prioritized by somebody who's paying attention. Now that the car price is going back up 5%, Tesla can afford this employee?

They have access to your car from their systems. I took my car in recently when the stereo stopped playing thru all but the dash speakers and the guy who was working with me went in back and came out telling me everything on the car. But my point was that the things on the car are not sent to Tesla, the guys at Tesla have to go looking on your car for them.

-Randy

Has anyone seen this bug?
Sentry Mode got stuck on the screen, blocking center part of the screen.
I can touch "through" it to enter the password before driving. I can drive forward or backward, with the giant red "eye" blinking there. Since I am at the underground parking structure I cannot turn it off via the app due to no internet connection, also cannot turn it off in car because I cannot see the option on the screen. I am going to reboot the car once I drive out (to have internet connection, I know it is not needed, but I'd like to be "safe" in case it does not start up)

• Love
Reactions: Les Mann