Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subsidies are disappearing, says NYT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Think about the carbon footprint of living in MN in the winter. The energy needed to keep cities and homes and "malls of America" warm all the chilly winter of MN is not something that politicians want to give away money for select-few new car buyers to claim. Heating-based NG, oil and coal burned in the state must be huge every year.
When the Mall of America was built, it didn't have a heating system. It only had a cooling system. The waste heat from lighting, appliances, and people is enough to keep it warm all year. Each person counts for about 75-100 watts (at a rate of 1800-2400 Calories per day).
mall of america heating at DuckDuckGo

Most conventional MN homes are heated by natural gas, propane, electricity, or wood. Some homes are fully solar or are superinsulated. Renewables make up MN's only in-state energy resource and are growing rapidly in capacity. Currently, most energy is imported from neighboring states or Canada. One of the main refineries is Koch-owned, and about 80% of the oil it processes is from the Alberta tar sands in Canada.
Pine Bend Refinery - Wikipedia

That's some interesting stuff about MN and being that it imports energy, it is not self-sustainable as a state in terms of power quality. What I'd like to find out is the BTUs burned of NG and Propane every calendar year to maintain homes and businesses in this northern state. I have to believe fairly few are superinsulated (due to buyer costs and lack of general builder skills doing it - this is the case nation/world wide).

That's some interesting stuff about MN and being that it imports energy, it is not self-sustainable as a state in terms of power quality. What I'd like to find out is the BTUs burned of NG and Propane every calendar year to maintain homes and businesses in this northern state. I have to believe fairly few are superinsulated (due to buyer costs and lack of general builder skills doing it - this is the case nation/world wide).
Is this what you're looking for?
Clean Energy in My State: stateName Residential Energy Consumption

In Massachusetts, all EVs get a $2,500 rebate except for Teslas, which get $1,000. The powerful car dealer's lobby had this language inserted into the bill. It was implemented as a cap on the vehicle list price, which was set to be above that of all EVs sold by dealers and below any Tesla, so they could avoid mentioning Tesla by name.

There are assaults on the environment, from both political Left and Right. WA's carbon tax, in part, being stopped by left-leaning "environmental racism" is an example. In MA, on an email chain rallying support for continuing the Tesla $2,500 credit, was evidently one of the deciding parties who was partial to the MOR-EV program's (theoretically) limited funds. Their wish to enable more lower-income buyers was what carried the move down to $1,000, for Tesla. This one wasn't the dealers, as far as I know.

Their wish to enable more lower-income buyers was what carried the move down to $1,000, for Tesla. This one wasn't the dealers, as far as I know.
a $100k car for lower income people? even a $40k car is out of reach for many of those in the lower income brackets.
instead of giving away money to allow them to acquire possessions I would say that money should be used to get them an education or training in a field where they could earn the income necessary for the finer things in life.

a $100k car for lower income people? even a $40k car is out of reach for many of those in the lower income brackets.
instead of giving away money to allow them to acquire possessions I would say that money should be used to get them an education or training in a field where they could earn the income necessary for the finer things in life.

Maybe that would have worked. I went with a different argument, that the auto-makers attached to the cheaper PHEVs were the ones who most wanted to stop battery adoption. ...Yet, in the end their cheaper investment was more richly rewarded than Tesla's. This only works with a social justice, not an environmental lens.