Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subtle closed charge port door noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed this for the first time in my car the other day. It's clicking every 3-5 seconds and was loud enough I heard it just when going to pull out the wall connector from the car.

I'll ask a few other friends who have a 3 and see what Tesla has to say about it, seems like a waste of energy, wear and tear, etc.
I can only hear it when I put my ear right next to the charge port. Did you recently receive the 44.2 firmware update? That apparently causes a louder clicking than the subtle noise discussed above when plugged in but not charging.

Charge Port clicking constantly after 44.2 update : teslamotors

Just another data point. I heard the same continuous sound (very faint ticking noise) coming from the charge point door and had Tesla replace it. The new one does exactly the same thing so I don't think it's a faulty part.

Mine definitely didn't make this noise when the car was new. It clicks every two seconds and I can hear it from anywhere in my garage! Door open or closed doesn't make a difference. 46.2

I just tried turning the car off a few times. Locking. Rebooting... nothing seemed to stop the clicking noise. But now after letting the car sleep for 15 minutes it has finally gone quiet.

Last edited:
I started hearing the "clicking" with 2018.44.2, and it behaves the same with 2018.46.2. I hear it as long as the car is awake and parked. The clicking stops if:
  1. The charger is connected and the car is charging.
  2. The charger is connected and the HVAC is running to pre-condition the car (it's the heat for me in Chicagoland).
  3. The car is in drive (one of my kids helped me verify that).
  4. The car goes to sleep.
Right after I received 2018.44.2 there was a brief warm up and my garage temperature was around 45º-48ºF. I noticed that I didn't hear the clicking, but haven't had warm enough weather to confirm.

• Informative
Reactions: Lon12
I’m on 46.2. Just went out for a drive earlier. My garage is about 50F and it’s in the 30’s outside. When I went to unplug the charger from the port I didn’t need to hit unlock charge port from the app as I’ve normally done in the past. I guess that’s a part of the cold weather fw update. I did hear faint clicking noises though inside the charge port after it was closed and before my drive. When I returned and plugged in my charger again, no clicking noise.

I have a very quiet clicking sound coming from the charge port door, every 5 seconds or so when the charge port door is closed.

I first noticed it ~8/25 right after I updated to 2018.32.3. It might have started before that update, but I only noticed it right afterwards. I can only hear it in a silent garage or if I put my ear near my port door. I had my charge port door replaced mid April.

Anyone else hear it too?

I heard this noise on the P3D we ordered. I raised the concern to a Tesla rep and they replaced the charge port. The noise is now gone.

I noticed a clicking sound coming from the charge port door every few seconds since the new update. I did not notice that before and I thought this would cause wear and tear somehow. It would be nice to know if this is a common faulty component or if it is indeed normal behavior. By the actions of the Tesla service department, it is inconsistent.

Reactions: outdoors
I finally heard back from Telsa, and he was hoping the issue would go away with the latest update but because it didn't Tesla suggested I schedule a service appointment to address the issue. I'm hoping a mobile visit will be possible for this too! I'm just not sure where to request that on the site yet.

I finally heard back from Telsa, and he was hoping the issue would go away with the latest update but because it didn't Tesla suggested I schedule a service appointment to address the issue. I'm hoping a mobile visit will be possible for this too! I'm just not sure where to request that on the site yet.
Don’t bother. The new one will make the same noise.

I've deduced that it's part of the cold weather update they did. It only happens when it's cold out. I think it sounds like the locking mechanism for the connector trying to constantly unlatch, even though it's already unlatched. Perhaps it just constantly keeps trying and trying in case it freezes up? Perhaps it generates some heat which helps keep it thawed? I don't know but it is kind of annoying when working in the garage around the car and it's happening. I noticed it when I was spray washing the rear end of the car.
I also don't like that the connector automatically unlocks when the car is done charging. Not sure if it's because I am in range with my phone or not, but I had to click the button to release it before. This seems to be the case now whether or not it's warm or cold.