Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden decrease in displayed range M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a recent software update on my 2019 Model 3 Performance (30,500 miles) my displayed range after a 90% charge dropped abruptly from 255 miles to 244 miles. My driving and charging habits have not changed. I read something in the software release notes about this latest release having a new, and presumably more accurate method for calculating range from charge level. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a fix, or is this new range the “real” range?

range is very important when you use up the entire battery capacity. If you car has 15% degradation you have 15% less range. It is what it is.
370-420km is the sweetspot where youll struggle to make it if you just have it set to %.

Having it set to range is not estimate range (thats in the tripmeter ,same as any ice car), rated range is a unit of energy not distance.
I think he is saying, as mentioned a few posts later, the range displayed on the top of the screen is only based on EPA estimates and has no bearing on your actual use. I personally think it is completely useless to drive 100 miles and use 150 miles of “range,” when you can just use percentage and use the navigation system to very accurately predict expected battery level when you arrive. But, I also learned a long time ago that even the DTE calculations can be quite inaccurate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Couple month old post - but do you have the screen capture for this? Seems hard to believe. I’d expect max you could draw above 0% would be 63kWh or so. Not 68.5kWh. Never seen such a huge discrepancy.
1667927137081.png

Super late reply, put here it is. Battery showed 262 miles on departure

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0
View attachment 872511
Super late reply, put here it is. Battery showed 262 miles on departure
But TeslaFi says right there that 282 rated miles were used. Do you have a picture of your 100% charge? Or even a 90% charge (two pictures, one % one miles).

The TeslaFi data is always super confusing to me since there are hidden scaling on some of the numbers, which I can never keep track of, but I think they accurately track rated miles used, and Wh/mi, and distance traveled of course (I think it is only energy from wall and stuff that gets scaled by the user, but could be wrong). 282 displayed rated miles in an AWD (?) would be 66kWh so there is still a discrepancy, though.

But data from the car is golden. I could see a 2kWh discrepancy on such a large discharge due to re-estimation especially if not driven continuously, but even if it were (this looks continuous).

Upvote 0