Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden increase in vampire drain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A

Albuquerque1

I last charged my Y a week ago, to 75%. Last night, with 42 miles driven, the battery was at 44%. 42% this morning. Until this week vampire drain was at most 1% per day.

I see there are reports of issues with 2022.36.2 and Sentry mode (the car updated to this on the 24th, same day as the last charge) not respecting home etc but Sentry is off in the car and on the two phones we use. I did enable it once when I parked but as far as I can tell it deactivated as usual afterwards. Cabin overheat protection was on but I live in the UK and the temperature hasn't been over 20C in months. It has been mild outside (between 10 and 18C) all week so I don't think extreme cold is to blame.

The new energy app reports 16% of battery used in "vehicle standby". No other notable usage.

We do use Intelligent Octopus (see Intelligent Octopus Drain) which has been known to drain the battery through frequent wakeups but I have had the active management stuff that causes this turned off for months. I checked and it's off now.

How do I troubleshoot this further? Should I just ask Tesla?

There is a known issue where the Climate Control system may remain on for 2 hours after you have parked. I am not sure if it is specific to release 2022.36 or only certain recently manufactured Tesla Model Y vehicles. You could try turning off the Climate Control system when you park and see if the phantom battery drain goes away.

For me the problem seems to have gone away. I did turn off cabin overheat protection (though surely it is never active during a UK autumn?) a few days ago and the battery has lost only 1% since. 🤷‍♂️

I've noticed this problem on my SR+ recently now that I get statistics on battery consumption while parked. I have turned off sentry mode, dashcam, climate controls, preconditioning. Everything is off that I can think of. Twice now after playing 18 holes of golf (4-5 hrs) the standby drain jumped 5% in that short period of time. Typically at home overnight I lose 1% but last night it was more than 5%.

I wondered if the 12V battery was going bad and being charged constantly. Car is just now 3 yrs old. I put the car in Service Mode and the 12V battery indicated all good.

Any ideas?

This is another post just to document my experience with the service center for vehicle standby phantom battery drain. I’ll lose anywhere between 3% and 10% daily on vehicle standby. For some background, I don’t have any third-party apps nor given access, I don’t check my app throughout the day, I’ve reset my Tesla login, I have unpaired my phone to the phone key, deleted the Tesla app, I don’t have summons on or the feature available, I don’t have sentry mode on at any location or ever on, I don’t preheat the car, and I live in SoCal.

I understand the battery drain can be attributed to weather conditions or misreported as vehicle standby but these conditions also occurred during the summer or parked indoors in a controlled temperature.

Service center said it’s totally normal to lose 3% -5% a day. He didn’t have anything to say when I said I’ve seen up to 10% for no reason. He asked how I charge? I said up to 60% then recharge when it’s around 20%. He instantly said for the health of the battery I’m supposed to charge to 90% and let it go down to 20% or below and then charge. He suggested the reason why I’m seeing phantom battery loss is by changing my battery charging habits…..I called bs and asked what if I did that for a year and still saw the same drain? He said, drain is normal because something is always on. I still said that’s bs - what if I leave town for a few weeks? He stayed quiet and said they’ll check the battery health. He said the logs will show if something is keeping the car on.

Again, point of this was just to document my experience at the SC. Frustrating that my drain is higher than what most people see, especially when I have no system functions on. I’ve tried to reset it (disconnected the actual battery) and same outcome. Might try a system reset and see if that magically does anything.

This is another post just to document my experience with the service center for vehicle standby phantom battery drain. I’ll lose anywhere between 3% and 10% daily on vehicle standby. For some background, I don’t have any third-party apps nor given access, I don’t check my app throughout the day, I’ve reset my Tesla login, I have unpaired my phone to the phone key, deleted the Tesla app, I don’t have summons on or the feature available, I don’t have sentry mode on at any location or ever on, I don’t preheat the car, and I live in SoCal.

I understand the battery drain can be attributed to weather conditions or misreported as vehicle standby but these conditions also occurred during the summer or parked indoors in a controlled temperature.

Service center said it’s totally normal to lose 3% -5% a day. He didn’t have anything to say when I said I’ve seen up to 10% for no reason. He asked how I charge? I said up to 60% then recharge when it’s around 20%. He instantly said for the health of the battery I’m supposed to charge to 90% and let it go down to 20% or below and then charge. He suggested the reason why I’m seeing phantom battery loss is by changing my battery charging habits…..I called bs and asked what if I did that for a year and still saw the same drain? He said, drain is normal because something is always on. I still said that’s bs - what if I leave town for a few weeks? He stayed quiet and said they’ll check the battery health. He said the logs will show if something is keeping the car on.

Again, point of this was just to document my experience at the SC. Frustrating that my drain is higher than what most people see, especially when I have no system functions on. I’ve tried to reset it (disconnected the actual battery) and same outcome. Might try a system reset and see if that magically does anything.
DBE1B2F4-7B99-4609-9271-EB054E3A4731.png
That’s the SC response which doesn’t actually address the drain. My cars setting is in %.

I am having issues with battery drain at home while parked inside garage. Never been an issue before - LR MY is 1 year old. Seeing 3-5% battery loss per day while previously (until a few days ago) had ~1% loss per 1-2 days. All stuff including sentry mode is off. Not sure what is happening.

I am having issues with battery drain at home while parked inside garage. Never been an issue before - LR MY is 1 year old. Seeing 3-5% battery loss per day while previously (until a few days ago) had ~1% loss per 1-2 days. All stuff including sentry mode is off. Not sure what is happening.
Have you tried rebooting? You might try rebooting more than once.

It could also be caused by the Tesla Model Y attempting to download an update. If the WiFi connection is sketchy the download could hang, never complete. If you find, after some time, that the Tesla Model Y download is frozen you can open a Service Request and Tesla can restart the download.