Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Loss of Power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, first post and long time Tesla fan. Only recently living the dream but I've ran in to something a bit scary.

Today I was making a right turn, one I do quite frequently but this time, about half way through the turn I lost almost all drive power. The gear indicators turned red, and the battery power output meter (if that's its name) had yellow lines at the low and high end of the meter. The car was still "on" and I managed to dredge at a few mph in to the next parking lot which was a Walgreens. I parked there for about a minute and it seemed normal so I backed out and again tried to get home. I was met with practically the same scenario: right turn, loss of power, only this time I was about to have to turn down a regular road with my panic lights on, when seemingly it changed its mind and the power came back before getting in to the road. While I would say a good chunk of people wouldn't have the courage to see if their car would be able to get them home in this case, I tried, and I thankfully succeeded.

But of course I am now concerned. It's a 2020 Performance. Any ideas?

I dont have any ideas, but make sure you note the specific time(s) it occurred and ensure that is included in your ticket. Helps the techs diagnose the logs quicker when you have precise timestamps and/or you hold the car icon on the MCU for a few seconds to record the bug report in the logs.

Ah, I didn't think of getting the time, that's a good idea. I will try to figure out around the time it happened though. Is there a pic of this car on the MCU? Not sure exactly what that is, can't find anything that seems concrete online, and don't want to go in the car trying to press around throwing false bug reports currently. Thanks though, appreciate it.

Happened today to me too. On a brand new 2020.48.12.1 firmware I got two days ago. Never had it before.

I wonder if there’s a bug causing this
74EA62DD-B119-4E53-B117-005C0575DB7B.jpeg
14FB2BCC-B88D-4546-BC1A-63E90FE1D47C.jpeg

Yes I have contacted support. Thankfully I was able to slot as early as 8:30am tomorrow, and I did give them the general time. I also just got that update yesterday, and considered it could be causing something. This would certainly lend to that. Still gonna take it in, though.

Since I've posted I might as well go through everything that happens, of course, so this is an update so far. As I said, I managed to get slotted into service the next day (today). This morning I arrived on time (8:30am), someone was there ready for me, and I quickly described the issue in a bit more detail after he read the report I gave through the app. He did not want me to prove anything, didn't really have any questions for me other than if it got me there problem free, and didn't want to waste my time. He simply gave me a loaner and said they would "take their time with the issue." As a small aside, coming from dealing with dealership, this was a dream scenario so far.

Fast forward to just after 5pm, and they said they ordered a new part and will have an ETA soon. I did ask what it was, and they replied that they "believe it to be the encoder sensors." Not knowing what that is, I did a quick Google search and it seems to be a sensor that tells the computer how fast the motor is spinning, or something of that effect. Interesting, but of course I have no way of knowing how accurate all of this is.

The fact that kdday came in here and said that the same, or at least a similar thing happened to him after exactly the same firmware update means to me that it probably is just a bug. But I will admit I am interested to see where this goes at the same time.

Will keep this updated.

Reactions: KyleDay
Ah, I didn't think of getting the time, that's a good idea. I will try to figure out around the time it happened though. Is there a pic of this car on the MCU? Not sure exactly what that is, can't find anything that seems concrete online, and don't want to go in the car trying to press around throwing false bug reports currently. Thanks though, appreciate it.
for future referecnce, icon in lower left hand corner of your MCU screen

for future referecnce, icon in lower left hand corner of your MCU screen

Ah, okay. Thanks again.

Anyway, I did receive the car back with presumably replaced "encoder sensors." They were confident it was the problem, in spite of us thinking it could be software (not that I told them this). The car so far is operating normally, and I once again have no issues with and am very happy with how Tesla handled service.

If any similar issue arises any time soon, I'll be back, but for now this is settled!