Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestion for temporary car until Model Y deliveries begin.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious if you have any suggestions here. We are moving and will need a second vehicle so we are currently looking at leasing a car for the typical 24-36 months. With the recent announcement that the Model Y is ahead of schedule, I'm wondering if any of you have been in a similar situation where a lease is expiring or you are in need a vehicle for a shorter period of time. I would really appreciate any creative suggestions.

Of course, with Elon time, ahead of schedule could mean nothing, but wishful thinking would lead me to believe that having a temporary car for 6-9 months would bridge the gap to getting a Model Y. (AWD)

For clarification, we are not reservation holders so I guess it could easily be the end of 2020 before we would get the vehicle. We did the same thing for our Model 3 (non-resi holder but got the car in 11/2018).

I'm curious if you have any suggestions here. We are moving and will need a second vehicle so we are currently looking at leasing a car for the typical 24-36 months. With the recent announcement that the Model Y is ahead of schedule, I'm wondering if any of you have been in a similar situation where a lease is expiring or you are in need a vehicle for a shorter period of time. I would really appreciate any creative suggestions. Of course, with Elon time, ahead of schedule could mean nothing, but wishful thinking would lead me to believe that having a temporary car for 6-9 months would bridge the gap to getting a Model Y. (AWD)

For clarification, we are not reservation holders so I guess it could easily be the end of 2020 before we would get the vehicle.
We did the same thing for our Model 3 (non-resi holder but got the car in 11/2018).
I would recommend getting a 2021 model, for getting a better resale value, just in case.
So better waiting until september to order it, I think the Model 3 sold now are already 2020.
I beleive the year change was made earlier so car shipped oversea will get the new year VIN number.

About getting a temporary car, a (one year?) lease in an option. This is simpler but might not the best economical solution.
Buying new might not best either because of the high devaluation the first year and sales tax (9.5% in CA)

I suppose you are looking for an EV? So it really depend of you daily mileage, weekend travel need, and if you can charge at home.
So there a lot of used EV (Bolf, Leaf, e-Golf, Ionic, kona...?) that you could look at.

I'm in a similar situation as you, returning my current Kia Soul EV lease at the end of this month and waiting on the model Y.

I'm looking at borrowing a car from a relative to tide me over, but rather than starting a new lease you might look into picking up someone else's lease that only has a 12-18 months left off it. There are a couple of web based services out there that help connect people who want out of their lease with folks who want a short term lease.

Worlds Largest Lease Marketplace | Swapalease.com
Lease a Car or Get Out of a Lease: LeaseTrader.com

Got a SR Model 3 in March of 2019. Originally planned to exchange for Model Y but doing Cybertruck now.

You can do a swap this way as well.
@MXWing when you say exchange do you literally mean trade the Model 3 into Tesla when it comes time to get the Y? I guess you are dealing with the carrying cost of the vehicle (no different than a lease) but I wasn't aware that tesla gave us an elegant way to do this? Have you heard of the trade in values Tesla has been giving on Model 3?s

@MXWing when you say exchange do you literally mean trade the Model 3 into Tesla when it comes time to get the Y? I guess you are dealing with the carrying cost of the vehicle (no different than a lease) but I wasn't aware that tesla gave us an elegant way to do this? Have you heard of the trade in values Tesla has been giving on Model 3?s

I consider it as a lease but there will be more work involved to “exchange”.

I will sell on the private market. People have reported terrible trade in values but that is completely expected.

People are completely foolish when they use the Tesla trade in value as the metric for what their car is worth or how much it has been devalued by.

Maximum price and maximum convenience are diametrically opposed concepts. :)

I consider it as a lease but there will be more work involved to “exchange”.

I will sell on the private market. People have reported terrible trade in values but that is completely expected.

People are completely foolish when they use the Tesla trade in value as the metric for what their car is worth or how much it has been devalued by.

Maximum price and maximum convenience are diametrically opposed concepts. :)

One major factor is Tesla does not give value to "Software".

If you have a barebones SR without FSD Tesla may not be that far off. I don't think they will match CarMax on Tesla's though.

They considered "Stealth" Performance "Software" too.

Also Free Super Charging or Extended Warranties also have no value to them.

The car chains like CarMax don't have a good handle on valuating software either.

All this combined with S/X price drops. And folks perception that Model 3 had huge price drops (not really, because they mostly offset the Tax breaks). Added fuel to the fire.

I think once things settle, if that's possible, Tesla might be an option to trade a Tesla.

It would be to their benefit to make it more attractive (like a credit on FSD on new car if you old car had it). They would sell more cars if it was less hassle for folks to sell private and lose tax break on trade.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Similar boat.

We've got a JCE Mini coming off lease in May. I've got a CT on "order" but who knows on that one. The 3 is the perfect car but we can't really fit our bikes in it and would like something larger. The 3 gets driven 20k+ miles a year but the second vehicle is for short distance local driving once a few times a week.

I'm considering the following:
1. Buy a cheap used i3, mod the hell out of it into a crazy art car, sell it for a little less when the truck comes out.
2. If a stealth Y is available in time I'll just get that and call it a day for a few years. I'm not hopeful.
3. Take over an EV lease from lease trader or swappalease.
4. Leasehack an incredible lease deal on an electric Mini. It should be possible to get one for crazy cheap much how it used to be with the i3. Once the truck comes out, Mini/BMW leases are easy to get out of.
5. If they come out with a 100kwh ludicrous 3, beg my wife and convince myself that it is what we need to get.

I'm curious if you have any suggestions here. We are moving and will need a second vehicle so we are currently looking at leasing a car for the typical 24-36 months. With the recent announcement that the Model Y is ahead of schedule, I'm wondering if any of you have been in a similar situation where a lease is expiring or you are in need a vehicle for a shorter period of time. I would really appreciate any creative suggestions.

Of course, with Elon time, ahead of schedule could mean nothing, but wishful thinking would lead me to believe that having a temporary car for 6-9 months would bridge the gap to getting a Model Y. (AWD)

For clarification, we are not reservation holders so I guess it could easily be the end of 2020 before we would get the vehicle. We did the same thing for our Model 3 (non-resi holder but got the car in 11/2018).

Would you be interested in a long term rental via Turo of a TM3 AWD? I may not need mine for 6 months so it might work depending on where/when you are moving.

Get a Highlander or RAV4 Hybrid. I still drive my Highlander a lot because it is so reliable and saves gas too. That's the one reason I didn't get the Model Y and got the 3 because my Highlander Hybrid is so rugged and easy to maintain.