Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions for quick detail (in between washes) on new M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up a 22 M3p - black on black. Beautiful but now I remember why I haven't had a black car in a while. Dust, dirt and fingerprint magnet.

I've been using Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax on all my cars for years and have no reason to change.

What do you use/suggest for quick spray and fiber towel wipe in between weekly washes?

Thanks

You can dilute Optimum no rinse to a quick detailed solution and place in a spray bottle. 16:1 ratio of water to product:

Ive also had good luck with Mother’s quick detailer.

What you are describing is basically a waterless wash. Although it is true Optimum No Rinse can be used as a quick detailer (at the right dilution), it is safer on your car's paint to use a dedicated waterless wash. Since you already use ONR with wax, you may like Optimum's waterless wash which is called OptiClean.

My personal favorite waterless wash is Meguiars D115 Express Wash and Wax. This is a professional version of Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax. D115 only comes in a gallon bottle, but the cost per wash is a lot lower than if you buy the Ultimate Wash and Wax.

Reactions: linuxguyInMD
I use a lot of detail spray between washes rather than a full “waterless”. I’ve had almost exclusively black cars though my Tesla is white. Spray it heavy.

Infinite use detail juice concentrate with distilled water. Also smells fantastic. Not streaky. I use it all over and even on the inside.

Hybrid v07 chemical guys great stuff too just doesn’t go as far.

Use clean microfibers folded twice so you get 8 squares of fresh towel. Don’t ever use even a slightly first towel.

Building on joebruins' comment above, I've used Meguair's G3626 waterless wash, it does a good job.

Meguiar's G3626 is basically the consumer version of Meguiar's D115, which is from Meguiar's professional line. They are very similar products. The advantage of the D115 is that it is a lot more cost effective. The G3626 is "ready to use" and costs $10 for 26 ounces of $23 for a gallon. The D115 is $62-$75 a gallon, but it is a concentrate. So you can make 5-6 gallons of waterless wash solution from the one gallon bottle of D115.

Reactions: SPACE_EX
I've never used any specialty products on any of my Teslas over the past ten years. I use a spray bottle filled with distilled water (less spotting) and a baby diaper (soft) because I see no reason to wipe off the wax and then apply new. The wax isn't dirty. So, I lightly wipe my car off using a barely damp diaper, OR I lightly spray and then wipe with a dry diaper. If the diaper "drags" across the paint, that spot needs more wax, so I have a spray bottle of Turtle Wax that I lightly use and spread with my diaper. My cars always look show-room clean and shiny, just like in the picture. My wife and I can shine up the car in fifteen minutes.

I've never used any specialty products on any of my Teslas over the past ten years. I use a spray bottle filled with distilled water (less spotting) and a baby diaper (soft) because I see no reason to wipe off the wax and then apply new. The wax isn't dirty. So, I lightly wipe my car off using a barely damp diaper, OR I lightly spray and then wipe with a dry diaper. If the diaper "drags" across the paint, that spot needs more wax, so I have a spray bottle of Turtle Wax that I lightly use and spread with my diaper. My cars always look show-room clean and shiny, just like in the picture. My wife and I can shine up the car in fifteen minutes.

If your routine works for you, that is great. I am guessing your cars don't get that dirty to begin with. You are basically doing a waterless wash with distilled water and car wax. IMO, that would only work if your car only has very light dust on it. But if there is any actual dirt on it, I think you are taking a risk of inducing swirls and scratches into the clearcoat. Water does not encapsulate dirt particles the way something like ONR does. So if your diaper picks up some dirt and you rub it over the paint, it will act like sandpaper and induce scratches. Wax does not have any cleaning agents - its primary objective is to protect the paint. For most people, a dedicated waterless wash will be a safer alternative. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Scelto
Just picked up a 22 M3p - black on black. Beautiful but now I remember why I haven't had a black car in a while. Dust, dirt and fingerprint magnet.

I've been using Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax on all my cars for years and have no reason to change.

What do you use/suggest for quick spray and fiber towel wipe in between weekly washes?

Thanks
I've been using these two on the Porsche and 2022 M3LR (in bulk since it's cheaper):

Meguires quick detailer and quick wax is really good too. They wipe off a bit hard but last longer. Easy to get too. Hybrid V07 I just started using more often as it wipes off really easily. I use all Meguires polishing stuff.

Meguires quick detailer and quick wax is really good too. They wipe off a bit hard but last longer. Easy to get too. Hybrid V07 I just started using more often as it wipes off really easily. I use all Meguires polishing stuff.
I agree with you that the Meguiars Quick detailer and wax are both great products. I tried the Chemical Guys V07 and did not care for the way it looked on the paint. I ended up giving away my unused V07.

To the OP’s question, Optimum also makes their own detailer and it is a great product:

Reactions: Thp3