Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

25 min Tesla car wash with 4 gallons of water

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every so often, I see posts with questions about the best way to wash your Tesla Model 3. Just thought I would share my preferred car wash routine for my 4-year-old 2018 Tesla P3D. Total wash time is 20-25 minutes and uses 4-5 gallons of water.

I basically do a rinsless wash using ONR or P and S Absolute. Materials used:

-Two buckets, each with a grit guard, 2 gallons of water, and 1-2 ounces of ONR.
-A Chapin 1-gallon garden sprayer, with 1 ounce of ONR mixed with 3/4 gallon of water.
-The "Gauntlet" drying towel from The Rag Company (my favorite drying towel on the market)
-Xtreme Solutions Topper (a ceramic-infused topper which I use as a drying aid, also my favorite on the market).
-Griots Garage Microfiber Wash Pad

I start at the top of the car and work my way down. If there is noticeable dirt or dust in the section I am working on, I first use the garden sprayer to pretreat the area by spraying it down with the ONR solution, let it dwell for 30 sec, and then do the normal rinseless wash. One bucket is my "rinse" bucket and the other is my "wash" bucket. Some people think using a two bucket with ONR is not necessary, but I think it is a good idea to further reduce the risks of inducing swirls.

After I wash a section with the ONR and wash pad, I then spray 1-2 sprays of Topper, and then dry with the Gauntlet towel. Topper adds a lot of slickness, gloss, and a boost of protection as you dry. I have tried at least 10 different drying aids and Topper is my absolute favorite.

My Tesla has been parked outside 24/7 for over 4 years. I have only done rinseless washes since I have owned the car. I have traditional car soap and a foam cannon, but they have sat in my garage unused.

Here are the final results:

IMG_4629.jpg
IMG_4634.jpg

For those of you interested, here are links to the products I used:

I wash both our Tesla's with ONR with wax (the green one) and just one bucket of water for the last 4+ years. I am lazy and little scratches do bother us. We both need reading glasses to see close up so without wearing them, we can't even see any scratches on the cars LOL.

I also use a window squeegee rubber part to dry the roof. Much faster than trying to dry it with a towel. Yeah I am lazy. I actually bought an electric leaf blower 4 years ago thinking I could just blow dry my cars. Turns out leaf blower is very heavy and really does not dry it any faster than just 2 towels in hands.

Reactions: joebruin77
Off topic, congrats on 200k.

Quick question still original Batt?

That is first goal as my last 2 ICE went to 245k and 265k.
Original battery.. On a winter road trip right now to northwest Minnesota and 90% is 238-240. Just a couple dozen short of 1000 Supercharges. Original door handles also.. It's driven a lot just plain shitty roads but not a rattle, squeak or creak.

We'll be adding a new Model S this summer sometime unless we hang out a bit for a Midnight Cherry 😘 🤞. This one will be staying though. It's a keeper...

Here's one of my Costco multi-fiber cloths after one swipe of the rear bumper from one side to the other. That is, spray rear bumper with ONR solution, make one pass from one side of the car to the other:

View attachment 908653
Note the way it's folded. With this folding I can get sixteen swipes without using the same area twice.

Here's one side of the cloth after eight swipes:

View attachment 908654

How do you even get these clean? Is it bad to put things that dirty into a washing machine? The drain hose for my washing machine is sort of high on the wall (a pump has to push the water up I guess), and it seems like a lot of that heavy dirt would just settle somewhere inside the washer instead of being taken up the drain hose.

How do you even get these clean? Is it bad to put things that dirty into a washing machine? The drain hose for my washing machine is sort of high on the wall (a pump has to push the water up I guess), and it seems like a lot of that heavy dirt would just settle somewhere inside the washer instead of being taken up the drain hose.
If you have a front loader, there is usually an accessible filter at a low point on the front below the washer opening. This should be cleaned every so often and there is a drain hose to purge the lowest point in the system. On our front loader, this water got pretty dirty. For top loaders, the pump is quite powerful and should get rid of most if not all sediment itself up the drain hose. Also, today most manufacturers have a clean cycle and suggest a monthly cleaning with an appropriate washer cleaner like this one. Should be all you need.

All that said, when I was ONRing my Model 3, before washing a load of “work“ towels and cloths, I tried to get most of the nasties out of them before hitting the washer by rinsing and hand wringing them out. This is especially necessary for towels for the dog coming into the house on rainy days where he manages to find and revel in excessively muddy areas in the back yard. And yeah, I use car washes now so part of the issue has gone away.

Another option is to use a local laundromat. The commercial washers will handle much larger loads and are designed to be much stronger in all aspects.

Heh if you think those are "that dirty", you probably don't have kids who play baseball! My wife washes my car washing cloth separately. And then on the next washer load, she washes all the socks. Maybe the socks could pick up some dirt from the car wash cloth...

They never get super clean. I use a special multifiber detergent (Rags to Riches), but I'm not convinced it's much better than normal detergent. Presoaking helps.

I think that dirt is fine particles and don't think it harms the washer.

I have always washed my dirty microfibers in my home front-loader washing machine and never had any problems with the drain or the machine.

Here are my tips to keeping your microfibers as clean and soft as possible:

1) Wash your microfiber towels immediately after each wash. Some people like to save up a big bunch of towels to run a large, full load. But the longer the dirt and car-cleaning products sit in the used towel, the more they set and are harder to clean out.

2) For detergent, I recommend P and S Rags To Riches Microfiber Detergent along with a quarter scoop of Oxyclean powder detergent. The Oxyclean gives the wash an extra cleaning boost and the Rags To Riches rejuvenate the softness of the towels.

3) For the wash cycle, use hot water and, if available on your machine, select the "heavy soil" option. This will extend the duration of the wash cycle, giving your microfiber towels more cleaning time before the rinse cycle.

4) Always dry your microfiber towels on ultra low temperature and never use fabric softener. High temps and fabric softener will actually harden the ends of your microfiber strands. If you use this towel on your next wash, it will induce scratches in your paint.

One trick you can do is take out a fresh, new microfiber and compare how your used microfiber feels in comparison. If the old towel feels noticeably less soft and more hard and stiff, you can try rejuvenating the softness by running the old towel through the wash with Rags To Riches detergent. But if that doesn't work, either throw the towel away or use it for something where you don't need a soft towel, such as cleaning the tires.

5) Wash your car on average once a week. This way, your car never has more than a week's worth of dirt and dust on it. It is easier to wash a week's worth of dirt and dust out of a microfiber than say 3 month's worth of dirt and dust.

6) Use your judgment. If your microfiber is incredibly dirty, then just throw it away. For example, sometimes I will spray down my tires with ONR and wipe them down using a Costco microfiber. I almost always just throw towels used on tires away. The Costco ones are so cheap, I don't mind.

yall are always so extra with stuff, its a car just wash it like any other car. I get a mop bucket and some Meguiar's soap and i use one of those broom brush things to wash the whole car. hit it with the hose, then scrub, then rinse, doing one side at a time, then go back and hit the rims, and dry it off with an old bath towel.

Reactions: Rotorian
I have always washed my dirty microfibers in my home front-loader washing machine and never had any problems with the drain or the machine.

Here are my tips to keeping your microfibers as clean and soft as possible:

1) Wash your microfiber towels immediately after each wash. Some people like to save up a big bunch of towels to run a large, full load. But the longer the dirt and car-cleaning products sit in the used towel, the more they set and are harder to clean out.

2) For detergent, I recommend P and S Rags To Riches Microfiber Detergent along with a quarter scoop of Oxyclean powder detergent. The Oxyclean gives the wash an extra cleaning boost and the Rags To Riches rejuvenate the softness of the towels.

3) For the wash cycle, use hot water and, if available on your machine, select the "heavy soil" option. This will extend the duration of the wash cycle, giving your microfiber towels more cleaning time before the rinse cycle.

4) Always dry your microfiber towels on ultra low temperature and never use fabric softener. High temps and fabric softener will actually harden the ends of your microfiber strands. If you use this towel on your next wash, it will induce scratches in your paint.

One trick you can do is take out a fresh, new microfiber and compare how your used microfiber feels in comparison. If the old towel feels noticeably less soft and more hard and stiff, you can try rejuvenating the softness by running the old towel through the wash with Rags To Riches detergent. But if that doesn't work, either throw the towel away or use it for something where you don't need a soft towel, such as cleaning the tires.

5) Wash your car on average once a week. This way, your car never has more than a week's worth of dirt and dust on it. It is easier to wash a week's worth of dirt and dust out of a microfiber than say 3 month's worth of dirt and dust.

6) Use your judgment. If your microfiber is incredibly dirty, then just throw it away. For example, sometimes I will spray down my tires with ONR and wipe them down using a Costco microfiber. I almost always just throw towels used on tires away. The Costco ones are so cheap, I don't mind.
most of the above info is correct, BUT point #3 is wrong ... please do not use hot water for microfiber towels. Ask any expert and they will concur. At most lightly warm water. For drying, dryer is fine, but low heat or even no heat.

most of the above info is correct, BUT point #3 is wrong ... please do not use hot water for microfiber towels. Ask any expert and they will concur. At most lightly warm water. For drying, dryer is fine, but low heat or even no heat.

What is your source for this information? I think it is fine and even better to wash your microfiber towels on hot. Hot water cleans better, and the cleaner the towel, the better it performs. You do want to avoid higher temps in the dryer, but hot water in the wash is fine. The hot water temperature in most residential washing machines will not get anywhere hot enough to damage the microfibers.

Check out this video from Griot's Garage. They are a respected auto care supply company and a maker of microfiber towels. In the video below, their rep states that they always recommend washing their microfiber towels on hot:

Also, here is a discussion on the Autogeekonline.net forum. Someone asked this question and a bunch of professional detailers said that washing in hot water is best:

Hope that helps,
Joe