Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm really interested in these but not so sure about the blue tint. Will a clear one with autodimming be available in the future?
Sorry, the short answer is no because of the cost of producing this feature that will increase the sale price.

The purpose of auto dimming is reducing glare that can also be effectively achieved by our blue hue. Traditionally, luxury European cars come with blue tint side mirrors (e.g. BMW). We think having this blue hue is a great alternative, not only functional but also aesthetic. One negative aspect of auto dimming is that the side mirrors become too dark in some scenarios, which doesn't happen on our mirrors.

For those who are concerned about losing the auto dimming feature. I agree with @Yinn that Auto dimming is nice when it actually works (see post #23). But it does not always work as intended.

The dimming of the auto dimmer is controlled by the sensor of the rearview mirror such that they don't always dim properly, especially if you have tinted windows. On the other hand, Suma Mirrors stay at consistent blue that reduces these scenarios.

I don't know how much extra it will cost, but I would gladly pay double or more for this shape of mirror without the blue and with autodimming.

It might help to just post the price and batch requirements.

While I’ve used the blue ones and don’t mind them; I too would probably prefer OEM type of functionality. Warts and all. But obviously cost balance comes into play..

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles
It might help to just post the price and batch requirements.

While I’ve used the blue ones and don’t mind them; I too would probably prefer OEM type of functionality. Warts and all. But obviously cost balance comes into play..

For auto dimming mirrors, each mirror can easily cost over $200 dollars. Instead of one piece of glass, it uses two pieces of specialized glasses to achieve the auto dimming feature. For a pair that's over $400 dollars.

Based on that, we didn't think there is a market for it. That's the reason we use the blue mirror as a reasonable alternative to achieve the same intent- reducing glare. Our blue mirrors aren't like the ones out there that the color is too light, too dark, unmatched, unable to see clear objects, etc.

We use proprietary/trade secret SOGEL NANO material in manufacturing these mirrors. Our mirrors are actually colorless that absorbs color spectrum causing glare and only reflects blue spectrum that's pleasant to human eyes to help see objects more clearly.

Because of our excellent quality, our mirrors are quite popular in the Japan market. And you know in Japan, the people have really high standards on the products, so that says something about our quality. Our customers are very satisfied with our mirrors. Below is a recent Review. If you are on the fence, I hope this is helpful.
Review.jpg

For auto dimming mirrors, each mirror can easily cost over $200 dollars. Instead of one piece of glass, it uses two pieces of specialized glasses to achieve the auto dimming feature. For a pair that's over $400 dollars.

Based on that, we didn't think there is a market for it. That's the reason we use the blue mirror as a reasonable alternative to achieve the same intent- reducing glare. Our blue mirrors aren't like the ones out there that the color is too light, too dark, unmatched, unable to see clear objects, etc.

We use proprietary/trade secret SOGEL NANO material in manufacturing these mirrors. Our mirrors are actually colorless that absorbs color spectrum causing glare and only reflects blue spectrum that's pleasant to human eyes to help see objects more clearly.

Because of our excellent quality, our mirrors are quite popular in the Japan market. And you know in Japan, the people have really high standards on the products, so that says something about our quality. Our customers are very satisfied with our mirrors. Below is a recent Review. If you are on the fence, I hope this is helpful. View attachment 430589

Don’t underestimate some owners wallets. While you’re right and $400 is too much for me to spend on mirrors, there may be others willing to pony up.

As an example OEM wheels regularly sell for $3,000-$4,000 here. OEM home wheels are typically $300-$800 on a Honda forum, maybe $1500 for a specialty set. But these oem cast wheels sell for more than a set of custom forged wheels.

Could you point out a few photos where the blue tint looks most similar in person? In some photos on the site it looks way more saturated than others.

I wouldn't mind if it looked like this:

V1j-V1agD_mid.jpg

But this appears a bit too blue to me:

V1X95ih1v_mid.jpg

Don’t underestimate some owners wallets. While you’re right and $400 is too much for me to spend on mirrors, there may be others willing to pony up.

As an example OEM wheels regularly sell for $3,000-$4,000 here. OEM home wheels are typically $300-$800 on a Honda forum, maybe $1500 for a specialty set. But these oem cast wheels sell for more than a set of custom forged wheels.
Going point, we appreciate your insight!

Could you point out a few photos where the blue tint looks most similar in person? In some photos on the site it looks way more saturated than others.

I wouldn't mind if it looked like this:

V1j-V1agD_mid.jpg

But this appears a bit too blue to me:

V1X95ih1v_mid.jpg
The blue is more like the top picture. Here is an installation review on a different car but shows you how our mirrors actually look like. I hope this helps.

Tired of blind spot? Auto dimming makes side mirror too dark?

Suma Performance Mirrors are your solution. We've been in the business more than 20 years, making performance mirrors for more than 100+ cars. We have patents/trade secret on our performance mirrors such that they are top quality & innovate just like your Tesla!

Here, top is the OEM with stick on. Bottom is Suma Performance Mirrors. See the difference?
View attachment 428369

What's wrong with this picture... you really need to get this right or your credibility is lost here. :cool:
Tesla (pre-orders)
upload_2019-7-17_21-21-6.png

Reactions: TomatoOne