Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summer range in extreme temps = similar to Winter range! UGH!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, just when winter ended and my crappy 200-220 km range (M3 RWD Std LFP) turned into 330-400 km range in comfy temps (20 C / 70 F), today i experienced another unpleasant shock... We got extreme, unusual temps for our area... 35C or 95 F and ... of course the AC was on full blast and god knows what else (cooling the battery to prevent a fire??) and... my range SUCKED yet again. Drove 55km and burned 20%, suggesting a 275km range again which is not as bad as winter but nowhere close to the mid Summer / Spring range. Closer to the winter range than summer range, put it that way. Sad.

Geez... is the AC burning that much or is it some battery cooling (always something dammit) that consumed so much more juice this time?

Yes, i did look at some other threads and yes, some folks do report shitty range in extreme temps (above 100 F). Just when i thought Winter was the major enemy of EVs.. looks like most of the year the weather is the enemy... LOL

• Funny
Reactions: SigNC
I find the whole range mystery frustrating.

Yesterday morning the temperature was -7C. Overnight I charged to 90%

I set my destination to the supercharger in Woodstock which is 150km away and I arrived with 30% remaining after an average speed of 108km/h.

That means it took me 60% to go 150km???!! That cost me $23 in supercharging.

I supercharged to 80%, then drove to my destination which was 50km away. The car sat in the parking lot for a few hours.

When it was time to go home, the 401 was closed so I took the 403 to the 407 and I got home with 14%. That route is 20km longer than my morning drive.

That means I drove 270km on 66%, with an average speed around 120km/h.

How can my westbound average be 2.5km / % and my eastbound average 4.09km / %?

Both numbers are a lot less than the 5.2km / % that I get when I stay local.

Mariano

I find the whole range mystery frustrating.

Yesterday morning the temperature was -7C. Overnight I charged to 90%

I set my destination to the supercharger in Woodstock which is 150km away and I arrived with 30% remaining after an average speed of 108km/h.

That means it took me 60% to go 150km???!! That cost me $23 in supercharging.

I supercharged to 80%, then drove to my destination which was 50km away. The car sat in the parking lot for a few hours.

When it was time to go home, the 401 was closed so I took the 403 to the 407 and I got home with 14%. That route is 20km longer than my morning drive.

How can my westbound average be 2.5km / % and my eastbound average 4.09km / %?

Both numbers are a lot less than the 5.2km / % that I get when I stay local.

Mariano

Did you pre-condition on departure?
What model/year ?
It's better to tell us your avg consumption per trip (Wh/km)

Consumption is always lower local when you are not driving on highways and stop/go urban areas.

Average speed value does not tell you much. I could be driving 30 km/hr for 30 minutes and then 150 km/hr for the next 30 minutes and that gives me an average of 90 km/hr. But that 150 km/hr speed would have sucked up energy like crazy.

Typically if you are driving an average of 120 km/h (75 miles/hr) which means for a good portion you were driving close to 130 to 140 km/ hr. And that would drain a lot of energy especially in winter (air is cold and dense leading to more resistance). The range numbers given by any manufacturer is at speeds around 60 miles/hr (105 km/hr) at around 70F temperature. The more you stay at higher speeds you lose more battery than gained by going lower.

Next time try and maintain the speeds around 100 and see if the range gets any better. Even then winter is a drain on energy.

Average speed value does not tell you much. I could be driving 30 km/hr for 30 minutes and then 150 km/hr for the next 30 minutes and that gives me an average of 90 km/hr. But that 150 km/hr speed would have sucked up energy like crazy.

Typically if you are driving an average of 120 km/h (75 miles/hr) which means for a good portion you were driving close to 130 to 140 km/ hr. And that would drain a lot of energy especially in winter (air is cold and dense leading to more resistance). The range numbers given by any manufacturer is at speeds around 60 miles/hr (105 km/hr) at around 70F temperature. The more you stay at higher speeds you lose more battery than gained by going lower.

Next time try and maintain the speeds around 100 and see if the range gets any better. Even then winter is a drain on energy.
I preconditioned my car and I drove 100km/h for the entire 150km trip with a consumption of 212 Wh/km.

Later in the day, I repeated the process and drove in the opposite direction and my consumption was 172 Wh/km.

Mariano