Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summer Tires Email from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My DS responded after a couple days since telling him I'd prefer the all season tires. Seems they're going to take care of it or they have control over it during production. But I don't know if that's a sure thing, he said he'd let me know once there was confirmation. My car should be in production this coming week and delivery in April.

I'm surprised the road noise on the Michelins is as bad as ptsagcy reports. Also wondering why they would deviate from the Scorpion Zero like they use on the 22" wheels since they're available in the appropriate sizes for the 20" wheels as well. And while on the subject of Perelli tires, I have Scorpion all-season (Verde?) tires on my '14 Explorer and they handle very well, even in snowy/ slushy and icy conditions. The Explorer came with those and I put on a new set of them back in December after 32K miles when the wife ran over something on the highway and punctured one beyond repair. They were getting near end of life anyway. If I were to do tires myself for the X, which I eventually will, I would seriously consider these. Not sure if they come in the right sizes for the staggered setup though.

Does anybody know if the 22" that come with the 90D's are performance or all season?

Summer performance tires on the 22". They're using Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires. You won't' find much out there for all-season tires with that low of profile. The all-season tires are a big reason why many of us purchased the 20" wheels to begin with. Some of us have to drive in some really crappy conditions or on rough and crappy roads much of the year. Makes Tesla's choice to switch to performance tires on the 20" wheels a little frustrating. They should be giving us the option.

OK so I was able to get on the interstate with the Continental's and they are definitely quieter than the Michelin's. Not silent but definitely much quieter. Now I can hear the wind noise much better :). The wind noise is better than it was after the SC replaced a door gasket and adjusted some others, but I'm going to ask them to take another run at it. Stay tuned.

Summer performance tires on the 22". They're using Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires. You won't' find much out there for all-season tires with that low of profile. The all-season tires are a big reason why many of us purchased the 20" wheels to begin with. Some of us have to drive in some really crappy conditions or on rough and crappy roads much of the year. Makes Tesla's choice to switch to performance tires on the 20" wheels a little frustrating. They should be giving us the option.

I am pretty sure that the X90D (Non P) comes with All season tires even in the 22" Wheel configuration. When I designed my X90D I wanted the 22" but being in MI wanted to have the all seasons and hence made certain of this. The configurator clearly shows that the nonP, X90D has all seasons. If someone has access to the design studio, please post a picture to confirm this! Thanks!

I am pretty sure that the X90D (Non P) comes with All season tires even in the 22" Wheel configuration. When I designed my X90D I wanted the 22" but being in MI wanted to have the all seasons and hence made certain of this. The configurator clearly shows that the nonP, X90D has all seasons. If someone has access to the design studio, please post a picture to confirm this! Thanks!

I didn't see mention of all season in configurator when I ordered the 90D with 22"

Highedu: I noticed this during my week between ordering and confirming. I was surprised to see the summer tires on my P90D spec, and when I tentatively dropped from P90D to 90D, the tires changed back to all season radials. A query through inside sales at the time confirmed that there was not an all-season radial option for the P90D. I'm trying again, based on what folks have said here. I honestly don't care how fast the car goes from 0-60 if it compromises winter driving in New England, and I don't want to change out my tires with the seasons.

I specifically ordered all-seasons, and called my rep to make sure they remained that way. Summer tires in the NE is a terrible idea. My X5M has gone through 2 full sets in the past 4 years. Costs a fortune to keep replacing those low-profile wheels. Swapping to winters each season isn't an option either (wife doesn't want the hassle/headache).

I followed up with Tesla Inside Sales about this issue. It seems the wording on the order page changed some time in February. Prior to that, the P90D was listed with all season radials. After that, it listed summer tires for the P90D. I ordered my car after it was listed as summer tires (and I was aware of that, if dissatisfied). Because of that, they won't put all season radials on the car. I'll just treat the summer tires as worn and replace them in the fall with all season radials, I suppose. Like joesmailer's wife, I don't want the hassle of seasonal tire changes.

Reactions: joesmailer
Mine showed up with Goodyear F1 Asymmetric (Summer) tires. I haven't seen anyone with these reported yet, so i figure i should chime in. 22 inch P90D here. I'm not happy -- I've always had SUVs (Acura, Land Rover, etc) and they've shown up with all-season tires every time. Even my Porshe has all-season performance tires.

DS sent me to service since I discovered this after delivery....we'll see what the response is.

Mine showed up with Goodyear F1 Asymmetric (Summer) tires. I haven't seen anyone with these reported yet, so i figure i should chime in. 22 inch P90D here. I'm not happy -- I've always had SUVs (Acura, Land Rover, etc) and they've shown up with all-season tires every time. Even my Porshe has all-season performance tires.

DS sent me to service since I discovered this after delivery....we'll see what the response is.

I don't know if the design studio changed at some point in February as per @jeffreys above, but I configured around Feb 24th 2016 and the design studio clearly indicated that ALL P90Ds would ship with summer tires and ALL 90Ds would ship with All seasons- which was one of the reasons I went with a regular 90D...

Here's the note I got back from the SC on my tire questions:

"We do offer 2 different brands of tires for 22-inch sports wheels equipped on your Model X.

Goodyear Eagle F1 3 – Summer / Sport SUV
Pirelli Scorpion XL Zero – Summer / Touring
(Summer tires are equivalent to All-season tires for High Speed / Sports SUVs) and Winter tires are specifically for snow and ice purposes.)

Winter Tire packages are available as an accessory on our website
We offer Pirelli Scorpion Winter only

Unfortunately, we do not offer any All-season tires for our AWD SUVs."

I have a P90D but being in upstate NY I will need a set of winter tires. My DES couldn't give me specific advice on what size wheels/tires to order (I'll get from tirerack) my winter tires. Can anybody give this tire noob guidance on which size tires/wheels I need to order for a winter set? I know I'll also need to order 4 TPMS sensors from the SC to install in my winter set since Telsa uses a special sensor (or so I was told)