Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summer tires in the middle on winter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you buy a new BMW M5, or high performance Mercedes, it will come with summer tires.
Why should Tesla follow the same brain dead thinking of legacy auto? It is clearly a stupid idea to deliver a car in the middle of winter to a snowy area that is hours away from the customer’s home with summer tires. This puts undue inconvenience on the customer to change the wheels immediately upon delivery. Ridiculous. How about delivering the damn car with winter wheels already on them? I feel like I’m taking crazy pills here that this isn’t the obvious solution to people. Tesla already offers multiple wheel options for each car. They can damn well offer a winter wheel option that is installed from the damn factory.

Why should Tesla follow the same brain dead thinking of legacy auto? It is clearly a stupid idea to deliver a car in the middle of winter to a snowy area that is hours away from the customer’s home with summer tires. This puts undue inconvenience on the customer to change the wheels immediately upon delivery. Ridiculous. How about delivering the damn car with winter wheels already on them? I feel like I’m taking crazy pills here that this isn’t the obvious solution to people. Tesla already offers multiple wheel options for each car. They can damn well offer a winter wheel option that is installed from the damn factory.
What tires did you expect? Weren't the tires described in your order? Perhaps it is a stupid idea to take delivery of a performance vehicle with performance tires in mid winter. If they offered delivery with winter tires, would you then be willing to pay for the more expensive summer tires when summer is here? If the conditions are really bad at delivery, wait to drive it home when conditions improve.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMPd and Yelobird
I don't like staggered setups -- ESPECIALLY in winter wheels/tires where a staggered setup offers zero additional benefit. None. In fact it's worse if you're driving in snow -- wide tires are awful for snow.

I've argued before that even in staggered summer setups are only for machismo bragging rights and offer no additional handling benefits unless you are on a track pushing the car to the limits of adhesion. For regular street driving, staggered wheels make no difference whatsoever and also come with the added headache that you can't even rotate them. With a square setup, at least you can rotate front to back.
Yeah. I was disappointed to find out the new Model S had a staggered setup for the long range. Used to be only the performance version before I think.

Maybe that should be an option. Where you order the car with winter tires and it's delivered that way. But the car was delivered with what you had ordered, correct? They didn't let you order the winter tires and put the summer tires in the trunk on delivery day?

What tires did you expect? Weren't the tires described in your order? Perhaps it is a stupid idea to take delivery of a performance vehicle with performance tires in mid winter. If they offered delivery with winter tires, would you then be willing to pay for the more expensive summer tires when summer is here? If the conditions are really bad at delivery, wait to drive it home when conditions improve.
Well I was stupid but not for the reason you think. I stupidly thought they would deliver the car to my house like they did multiple times before and I could switch to winter wheels in the comfort of my garage or drive slowly a mile down the road to the tire shop. It wasn’t until the order was made and I talked to the rep about setting up home delivery that I learned they didn’t do that anymore and I would instead have to pick it up hours away. Would’ve been nice to see some kind of notice on the order page that home delivery was no longer available. Thanks Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: DerbyDave
Maybe that should be an option. Where you order the car with winter tires and it's delivered that way. But the car was delivered with what you had ordered, correct? They didn't let you order the winter tires and put the summer tires in the trunk on delivery day?
I thought they would deliver it to my home like my other two Teslas. I didn’t realize that home delivery was no longer an option and that I’d have to pick up the car hours away and drive it back until after the order was placed. Would’ve been nice to see it as a warning on the order page.

Reactions: dsm363
The problem is Tesla Service doesn't want to make money by providing winter wheels and tires for you at delivery, but getting the factory set up removed from the car to your house is still a problem.
Just seems like if they can already provide multiple wheel options from the factory with the 19” and 21” they can offer one more option for 19” winters as well. They have 3 wheel options for their other cars so there isn’t any reason to not offer a third wheel option for the plaid as well.

Last edited:
I thought they would deliver it to my home like my other two Teslas. I didn’t realize that home delivery was no longer an option and that I’d have to pick up the car hours away and drive it back until after the order was placed. Would’ve been nice to see it as a warning on the order page.
Home delivery I don't think has been an option for many years. Both my older cars were delivered that way before and it was very nice to have but not sustainable long term of course.

They should be able to provide wheel options from factory. You maybe pay extra but have winter wheel setup delivered on car. They you order your summer rims and tires later. I'd give that feedback to Tesla.

Home delivery I don't think has been an option for many years. Both my older cars were delivered that way before and it was very nice to have but not sustainable long term of course.

They should be able to provide wheel options from factory. You maybe pay extra but have winter wheel setup delivered on car. They you order your summer rims and tires later. I'd give that feedback to Tesla.
Well I did get my last one delivered in Dec of 21. That was a few years ago but people don’t always upgrade their cars yearly so there’s no way I’d know the option disappeared unless Tesla informed me in some fashion which they didn’t. I don’t think it’s unreasonable that they keep a warning on their order page for at least a few years so we don’t order thinking home delivery is a thing when it isn’t. To find out afterwards when they already have your non-refundable order fee is messed up. Sorry just venting.

Well I did get my last one delivered in Dec of 21. That was a few years ago but people don’t always upgrade their cars yearly so there’s no way I’d know the option disappeared unless Tesla informed me in some fashion which they didn’t. I don’t think it’s unreasonable that they keep a warning on their order page for at least a few years so we don’t order thinking home delivery is a thing when it isn’t. To find out afterwards when they already have your non-refundable order fee is messed up. Sorry just venting.
I didn't realize it was that late they still did that. I just got my new car so my first modern Tesla delivery experience since 2012.

They should state that on order page prior to deposit. My guess is 99% of people buying these days didn't know that ever existed though.

Reactions: luginewo
TBH, I inherently don't disagree with you. I thought it was pretty dumb to sell a car in Ohio on summers and not all-seasons, especially in winter months.

Tesla is constrained by two things on this issue. One, the tires available in the speed ratings required. Keep in mind the current all-seasons on the LR are not speed rated for Plaid, a quite obvious liability issue for the inevitable tire blowout lawsuits. In fact, they just went from a W rated tire to a lower V rated tire, probably to squeeze out a little more range. But with some purchasing and engineering resources, they could get a manufacturer to provide the tires and overcome this.

Two, and probably the more significant issue, is adding more SKU's to their inventory channel for this purpose. The combinations of the options of 2 models, 5 exterior colors, 3 interior colors, 2 wheel options, and 2 steering options means they have 120 possible Model S SKUs in their channel inventory of relatively expensive cars. To add an All-Season or Winter Tire option for the Plaid models adds 60 SKUs to a model line that has been selling at around 10K-12K units a year. You could say "just build it to order" but customers won't like true build-to-order timing, and no matter what you will have to deal with cancelled orders, priority changes, the wrong car with the wrong options at the wrong place in the wrong time. People and dollars would be required to deal with it.

Could it be done? Sure, it can be done. Is it worth it to do? Tesla's assessment appears to be no. We may not like it, but hard to say it's not a logical assessment.

TBH, I inherently don't disagree with you. I thought it was pretty dumb to sell a car in Ohio on summers and not all-seasons, especially in winter months.

Tesla is constrained by two things on this issue. One, the tires available in the speed ratings required. Keep in mind the current all-seasons on the LR are not speed rated for Plaid, a quite obvious liability issue for the inevitable tire blowout lawsuits. In fact, they just went from a W rated tire to a lower V rated tire, probably to squeeze out a little more range. But with some purchasing and engineering resources, they could get a manufacturer to provide the tires and overcome this.

Two, and probably the more significant issue, is adding more SKU's to their inventory channel for this purpose. The combinations of the options of 2 models, 5 exterior colors, 3 interior colors, 2 wheel options, and 2 steering options means they have 120 possible Model S SKUs in their channel inventory of relatively expensive cars. To add an All-Season or Winter Tire option for the Plaid models adds 60 SKUs to a model line that has been selling at around 10K-12K units a year. You could say "just build it to order" but customers won't like true build-to-order timing, and no matter what you will have to deal with cancelled orders, priority changes, the wrong car with the wrong options at the wrong place in the wrong time. People and dollars would be required to deal with it.

Could it be done? Sure, it can be done. Is it worth it to do? Tesla's assessment appears to be no. We may not like it, but hard to say it's not a logical assessment.
I would think a checkbox for winter rims (additional cost) would work. Tesla would make sure car arrived with its summer tires on it and the winter rim set would also be at service center. You'd inspect the car and then they'd drive it to service back a few feet and put on winter rims.

Reactions: luginewo
I would think a checkbox for winter rims (additional cost) would work. Tesla would make sure car arrived with its summer tires on it and the winter rim set would also be at service center. You'd inspect the car and then they'd drive it to service back a few feet and put on winter rims.
Agree that this is better, and is essentially what Tesla has now. Honda is big in "dealer installed options" for this reason.

Thanks for the responses. Just kind of annoying since the closest delivery location is 4 hours away which means I can’t drive home till I find a place nearby to change the wheels for me. Just seems silly that they can’t just deliver the car with winter tires on it since they sell a winter wheel package in their shop. I’m not asking for both sets. Just put winters on so I can safely drive home and I’ll buy summers when the weather changes. Apparently Tesla thinks this is unreasonable since they won’t do that. Oh well.
When I bought my S, I bought a set of winter tires and wheels. They offered to put these on at delivery.
I don't think they can change the tire configuration of a new car. The tires they take off of your car would be considered "used" so they couldn't resell them to someone else as new.
Just buy a winter tire set. They'll install them.

I drove 10+ hours through a snow storm over 2 mountain passes on summer tires to drive home my Golf R purchased out of state. Not ideal but it made it. Just go slow (I wasn’t comfortable going over like 30 mph) and leave LOTS of space to brake and turn.
I’ve found the pirellis that come on the 19s to be especially bad in snow even as far as summer tires go. Michelin PSS and PS4S I could at least drive a short distance if extremely careful. The pirellis were basically uncontrollable above 10 mph with even a light dusting.

I’ve found the pirellis that come on the 19s to be especially bad in snow even as far as summer tires go. Michelin PSS and PS4S I could at least drive a short distance if extremely careful. The pirellis were basically uncontrollable above 10 mph with even a light dusting.
My Golf R had Pirellis PZeros and they were absolutely atrocious in the snow. I know they are summers but even taking turns at more than 5mph it would just slide. Even in the rain in 40-50°F temps they would lock up easily with hard braking and nearly made me rear end a car on more than one occasion. Pirellis would be my very last choice when tire shopping…

Does anyone know if it's possible to display the kw output of each of the three motors? I've seen screenshots of this but don't remember if it's dragstrip mode or track mode and if it's only pre refresh. One other way to confirm the pulling issue if it returns is to see if the left motor is putting down more power than the right.