Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon stopped working after firmware update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple weeks ago I got the first 2019 firmware update (I can't remember now which version it was). Ever since then the Summon feature has worked sporadically, probably 1 time out 20 I've tried. I don't know if it's related, but it certainly seems to be. I have tried using the app, the key fob, and the auto-park feature, but the car doesn't seem to go into the summon mode. It does start to chime like it's going to enter the mode, it just never follows through with hazards flashing and the continuous chime. Any ideas on what I can do to bring this function back?

I just got the latest update yesterday and was hopeful it would fix the problem (2019.16.1.1 697c2ff) but no luck.

ETA: I have Autopilot 1, 2014 Model S.

Yes, multiple times. I was so hopeful the new update fixed it since I installed yesterday morning and was able to summon out of the garage. But upon arrival last night it wouldn't summon back in. This morning wouldn't summon out either. So, it's glitchy for sure.

A couple weeks ago I got the first 2019 firmware update (I can't remember now which version it was). Ever since then the Summon feature has worked sporadically, probably 1 time out 20 I've tried. I don't know if it's related, but it certainly seems to be. I have tried using the app, the key fob, and the auto-park feature, but the car doesn't seem to go into the summon mode. It does start to chime like it's going to enter the mode, it just never follows through with hazards flashing and the continuous chime. Any ideas on what I can do to bring this function back?

I just got the latest update yesterday and was hopeful it would fix the problem (2019.16.1.1 697c2ff) but no luck.

ETA: I have Autopilot 1, 2014 Model S.
Did you check your Summon settings. Sometimes an update will reset some of your settings, so you might need to put it on 'tight' or whatever.

Did you check your Summon settings. Sometimes an update will reset some of your settings, so you might need to put it on 'tight' or whatever.
Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like the settings are all the same. It's not like it initiates and then sees an object and abruptly stops. The problem is that it never even goes into gear to start moving. Something in the initiate process doesn't ever "catch". I took a video the other day of what is going on. This was after I tried the autopark function upon arriving home. As you can see, the car gets into some weird loop of initiating and then starting over, again and again.

This isn't exactly what happens with Summons, and maybe I'll try to get a video of that too later, but very similar. Do you think something else besides the software update could be causing this? Out of warranty about 11K miles ago, so I'm hoping to figure this out outside of a service center visit.

Video can be found here:

"AutoPark" ? I'm confused about what is going on and how you are initiating this outside the car.
I initiated when I pulled in by double pressing the park button and selecting which direction to go (forward or reverse). As you know, it starts the actual parking upon exit of the vehicle. I started filming after it kept going through the cycle you can see in the video but not actually going into gear or moving anywhere.

Is it called something besides "autopark" when you double press the park button on the gear shaft?

ETA: No, I'm correct. You can see in the video on the dashboard "Autopark Enabled". Normal function should be to enable autopark, select your direction, and exit the vehicle. Prior to this anomaly, the car would pull itself into the garage and close the garage door after I step out and close the car door.

I initiated when I pulled in by double pressing the park button and selecting which direction to go (forward or reverse). As you know, it starts the actual parking upon exit of the vehicle. I started filming after it kept going through the cycle you can see in the video but not actually going into gear or moving anywhere.

Is it called something besides "autopark" when you double press the park button on the gear shaft?
Ok, now I understand. I assume you are holding down the button on the fob?

Ok, now I understand. I assume you are holding down the button on the fob?
No, after I exit the car I have no other interaction with the car. It is doing this weird cycle of enabling autopark, blinking the hazard lights, turning off both screens and starting over, all on it's own. The only way to stop it is to press the handle on the door to disable autopark (same as for Summons). I can't remember right now, but I think that even pressing a key fob button wouldn't clear this weird cycle.

U

ETA: No, I'm correct. You can see in the video on the dashboard "Autopark Enabled". Normal function should be to enable autopark, select your direction, and exit the vehicle. Prior to this anomaly, the car would pull itself into the garage and close the garage door after I step out and close the car door.
That's still called Summon. It's a different way of initiating it which is US only. Even though your car is out of warranty, because the issue was caused by a software update, the service centre will still help you and probably fix it over the air. They did this for me with a different fault. Give them a call.

U

That's still called Summon. It's a different way of initiating it which is US only. Even though your car is out of warranty, because the issue was caused by a software update, the service centre will still help you and probably fix it over the air. They did this for me with a different fault. Give them a call.
Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize this was just a feature in the US.

Also, I will give them a call. The worst they could say is "no", right?

Mine did that too.

Turns out I had to change the batteries in my fobs.

Immediately worked like normal afterwards.
Hmm, I didn't even think of the Fob being the problem. The battery in it is less than a year old, but I guess I am willing to try anything at this point to get the feature back. It's amazing how quickly we become entitled to features that I never would have dreamed about before owning the Tesla.

Thinking about it some more, you may be on to something. The Summon seems to work more frequently in the morning after sitting in the garage overnight. I wonder if driving on the commute home somehow drains or degrades the battery just enough to where when I get home it doesn't have the juice work? I'll try this as well. I think I have a spare CR2032 battery around the house somewhere.

Update: Key fob battery replacement didn't seem to help. Although I have additional weirdness to add to the dilemma: Last night I pulled up and initiated summons by autopark (same as in the video previously posted). Exited the car and it did the same beeping, shutting down, starting up, beeping, shutting down, so I left it and went inside to change my clothes since I had to leave in 10 minutes anyway. 5 minutes later I went to grab something from the car and it had at some point decided to work and parked itself. So apparently it still works? I'm confused at this point what could be the issue.

I had just finished talking to the service center and they said there was another update available for my car. I installed that last night and the car pulled out of the garage this morning using the fob-activated summons. So I am 1 for 1 of it working after the latest update. Fingers crossed it continues.

Just thought I'd follow up here again after a couple months into this. The software update didn't change anything. I brought the car into a service center to check it out and they said it was likely a software thing and continue to wait for SW updates. The car needed airbag recall work done, so I left it overnight and took a loaner (2015 85D) home. Approaching the garage in the loaner I attempted the same auto summon, and sure enough it also failed in the same similar fashion. Sooooo, it doesn't appear to be an issue with just my car or something specific to my car which I guess is a relief.

Since then, I have noticed that if I pull the car slightly into the garage (bumper is 6-12 inches inside) then summon works fine. If it is further than that it won't autopark. So my guess is that with the software update they changed some sensor parameter that disables autopark in this very specific location. Not sure if it's the way my driveway is on a slight grade, or some nuance of my house construction that interferes, but something changed and what I was doing before no longer works. I guess I'm happy that I've figured out a workaround, and technically this is a "beta" program so I shouldn't complain, right?

I do have another software update available since about 5 days ago, though, and now I don't know if I trust it to be an "upgrade" or a "downgrade". What other things might they "improve" that make my car less functional?

With regard to your video--i was worried that you standing next to the window was in the sight of a door camera and confused the hell out of the poor car.
Car is Autopilot 1 so it doesn't have the door camera. The weird thing is if it's sensor related you think it would give some sort of alert of some sort of obstacle and shut off Summon. But as seen in the video, Summon starts up, shuts down, starts up, shuts down, until a door is open.

I've noticed some additional oddities when it decides it won't autopark: door handles and mirrors stay out even while autopilot engages and disengages independently. When summons works properly mirrors fold in, door handles retract, autopilot enables, car shift out of park, and then it pulls into/out of garage. When it isn't working, none of the aforementioned happens with exception to autopilot enabling as shown on the dashboard.