Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon with "Use Auto Homelink" setting = OFF still tries to use Homelink auto-close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got the 7.1 (2.12.126) update, which finally allows Summon here in Canada. There is a switch in the Summon settings of the car for "Use Auto Homelink". I have this setting turned OFF.

Here's why: My garage is extremely tight front to back. The minimum bumper distance of 20cm for Summon doesn't automatically park the car with a safe enough clearance between trunk and inside of the garage door. What I'd really need is this min distance to be maybe 10cm or even less, though I don't know if the ultrasonic sensors have the resolution to measure this small a clearance reliably.

Meanwhile, I've had unpredictable results with the separate auto-open/auto-close Homelink function (auto-open usually works, but auto-close often doesn't work). So this means I don't trust Summon to be playing with the door at all, I will instead manually open/close. I've also seen other people report problems with the car encountering the door using Summon and would prefer to avoid that kind of problem!

I still want to use auto-open/auto-close in normal driving situations, ie when driving/parking myself not using Summon. So in the separate Homelink settings area, I have Auto-Open and Auto-Close settings turned ON.

But I notice when I'm using Summon to pull the car out of the garage, the Auto-Close Homelink button pops up (with option to Skip) while the car is backing out. I think this is a bug; Summon seems to ignore the Summon/Use Auto Homelink setting and instead is using the setting in the separate Homelink/Auto-Open/Auto-Close setting.

To complicate things, a couple times trying Summon, the app seemed to lose connection with the car and Summon suddenly aborted half out of the garage. I was in the car at the time, using Summon on the app when this happened - I pressed "Skip" when the auto-close menu came up, just in case. Here in Canada, we MUST use the app to Summon, meaning a good wifi/LTE signal is required. (The wifi signal in my detached garage happens to be weak). While I know Auto-Close is GPS and distance based, I just found it alarming that Summon tried to do anything at all with man even with that setting turned OFF.

anybody else seen Summon try to use Homelink even if Summon/Use Auto Homelink setting is off?

I have the same settings as you (Summon Homelink OFF, but Homelink Auto-Open and Auto-Close ON), and it seems to be working as I'd expect. When I summon the car out of my garage, I first open the garage door myself (and disconnect my charging cable), then I use Summon from either my iPhone or my keyfob. The car doesn't get far enough away from the garage to activate the Homelink Auto-Close, but as soon as I get in and drive away, Homelink will close the garage door automatically. I'm not in the car when I'm summoning, but I'm assuming that the Homelink menu (with option to Skip) appears just as it would if I were backing out of my garage normally.

There is a switch in the Summon settings of the car for "Use Auto Homelink". I have this setting turned OFF.

Here's why: My garage is extremely tight front to back. The minimum bumper distance of 20cm for Summon doesn't automatically park the car with a safe enough clearance between trunk and inside of the garage door. What I'd really need is this min distance to be maybe 10cm or even less, though I don't know if the ultrasonic sensors have the resolution to measure this small a clearance reliably.

Might I suggest you consider adjusting the height of your garage door safety sensors. I have a tight fit as well, and before I did much testing of Summon, I measured the height of the chin/spoiler at the front of the car (I back in, so this is closest to the door). It happens to be the part that sticks out the furthest (to my untrained eye, it seems to protrude a hair farther than the nose cone). I then raised my safety sensors a couple of centemeters (thankfully they are still quite low, so a baby/animal would still be detected), so that 'chin' is detected. I tested this VERY well, and am confident that there is 'next to' no way my garage door can close on the car (assuming I continue backing in).

As trailblazer mentions, I can confirm the homelink button shows up when summoning. It won't trigger until you travel 5m, a pretty large safety net I think.

There is still the concern that summon actually opens the garage door, and doesn't try driving thru it. With the latency of using the app, even if you are paying attention, if the car decided to move forward without actually raising the door (I believe someone on here posted just that), no matter your reflex time, with the latency of the app, I'm pretty certain the car would move forward a bit, and if the fit is tight, likely hitting the door.

As an aside, has anyone noticed that the graphic on the summon screen on the phone does show when a 'barrier' is detected by the front or rear sensors? Its a pretty faint line, but it is there.

Last edited: