TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Sunroof leaking

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Whyrad, Jul 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Whyrad

Whyrad Member

IMG_4119.JPG IMG_4123.JPG IMG_4114.JPG IMG_4117.JPG

has anyone else had this issue? When I took ownership of my car I mentioned to them that some of the strips looked pushed in and now I've noticed water spots in the headliner. Bad ones.

2. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

I've seen a fairly recent thread about someone (think one or two other people added their situation as well) who had a headliner leak and staining. Can't recall if it was an S or X thinking S though and maybe a solid roof, which they thought would be problem free as opposed to a leaking sun roof. Try searching for headliner leak. But you're not alone. Do remember photos of how the staining was cleaned. Good luck and report back. From your post guessing your still under warranty?

I'd have them address it asap being mindful of mold. Gee and guess being in Florida you're in rainy season now.

3. cmf

cmf Member

i am getting my pano roof seal replaced in a few days after a leak developed toward the front right driver side on my S, but my leak was not nearly as bad. I think the service center told me there was a service bulletin on the seal, but I’m not for certain. I have a 2015 build, pre-facelift if that matters. Defiantly take it in and have them look at it.

4. Whyrad

Whyrad Member

I take it in on Thursday. I'm hoping they replace the whole headliner bc that is just ridiculous, especially since I mentioned it to them. I have a 2014 so I wonder if that seal issue includes that year also. Where did you see the seal bulletin?

5. Whyrad

Whyrad Member

Exactly, it rains every days for hours on end. My job doesn't have a parking garage so it's not like I can have covered during the day. And today we got hit with a tropical storm. Correct the car is still under warranty so I'm sure they'll fix it. On Thursday when I take it in I'll give a update to see what they say can be done. Crazy thing is I wouldn't have noticed it unless one of my friends sitting in the backseat didn't tell me about it. So I wonder how long it's been stained

6. cmf

cmf Member

Unfortunately i don’t have the bulletin in writing, I think it was told to me by a service technician when the leak was discovered during my annual service. I’m getting the work done on Wednesday and if I get the bulletin, I’ll post it so you can have it for your appointment.

7. Whyrad

Whyrad Member

Thank you, I would appreciate that!

8. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Has not rained in Sydney for a long while, but it did yesterday. Not especially heavy and not for long, but when I got back into my car got splashed on the face from water intrusion from the sunroof. Funny thing is, I have driven in much heavier rainstorms without incident. Will wait til the next one to see if repeats, before taking it in. Sept 2014 build.

• Like x 1
  9. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

Had my pano replaced with the newer gen setup due to a leak under warranty. Tesla also replaced the headliner as part of CPO due bill.

• Like x 1
  10. cmf

cmf Member

@Whyrad I just dropped off my car, there is not a service bulletin on the pano roof leaking...sorry about that. This was just an issue that appeared on my car, the service tech said it happens to some cars but not a lot.

• Like x 1
  11. Whyrad

Whyrad Member

#11 Whyrad, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    So today I finally got back my Tesla. I have to go back once the receive the new headliner. Here is the official report of what was wrong and what was fixed

Concern: When he received the car, panoramic roof spacer were pushed out. He was told
    not to worry about it, but now he is getting water leaks through the panoramic roof.

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  12. abasile

abasile Working on EVBuySell

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1900m)
    Last fall, we had the same experience with our 2012 Model S (original pano roof and headliner replaced under warranty). The second generation pano has held up well, as we have no garage and we had a lot of snow and rain this past winter.

• Like x 2