Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunroof leaking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_4119.JPG IMG_4123.JPG IMG_4114.JPG IMG_4117.JPG

has anyone else had this issue? When I took ownership of my car I mentioned to them that some of the strips looked pushed in and now I've noticed water spots in the headliner. Bad ones.

I've seen a fairly recent thread about someone (think one or two other people added their situation as well) who had a headliner leak and staining. Can't recall if it was an S or X thinking S though and maybe a solid roof, which they thought would be problem free as opposed to a leaking sun roof. Try searching for headliner leak. But you're not alone. Do remember photos of how the staining was cleaned. Good luck and report back. From your post guessing your still under warranty?

I'd have them address it asap being mindful of mold. Gee and guess being in Florida you're in rainy season now.

i am getting my pano roof seal replaced in a few days after a leak developed toward the front right driver side on my S, but my leak was not nearly as bad. I think the service center told me there was a service bulletin on the seal, but I’m not for certain. I have a 2015 build, pre-facelift if that matters. Defiantly take it in and have them look at it.

I take it in on Thursday. I'm hoping they replace the whole headliner bc that is just ridiculous, especially since I mentioned it to them. I have a 2014 so I wonder if that seal issue includes that year also. Where did you see the seal bulletin?

i am getting my pano roof seal replaced in a few days after a leak developed toward the front right driver side on my S, but my leak was not nearly as bad. I think the service center told me there was a service bulletin on the seal, but I’m not for certain. I have a 2015 build, pre-facelift if that matters. Defiantly take it in and have them look at it.

I've seen a fairly recent thread about someone (think one or two other people added their situation as well) who had a headliner leak and staining. Can't recall if it was an S or X thinking S though and maybe a solid roof, which they thought would be problem free as opposed to a leaking sun roof. Try searching for headliner leak. But you're not alone. Do remember photos of how the staining was cleaned. Good luck and report back. From your post guessing your still under warranty?

I'd have them address it asap being mindful of mold. Gee and guess being in Florida you're in rainy season now.

Exactly, it rains every days for hours on end. My job doesn't have a parking garage so it's not like I can have covered during the day. And today we got hit with a tropical storm. Correct the car is still under warranty so I'm sure they'll fix it. On Thursday when I take it in I'll give a update to see what they say can be done. Crazy thing is I wouldn't have noticed it unless one of my friends sitting in the backseat didn't tell me about it. So I wonder how long it's been stained

I take it in on Thursday. I'm hoping they replace the whole headliner bc that is just ridiculous, especially since I mentioned it to them. I have a 2014 so I wonder if that seal issue includes that year also. Where did you see the seal bulletin?
Unfortunately i don’t have the bulletin in writing, I think it was told to me by a service technician when the leak was discovered during my annual service. I’m getting the work done on Wednesday and if I get the bulletin, I’ll post it so you can have it for your appointment.

Unfortunately i don’t have the bulletin in writing, I think it was told to me by a service technician when the leak was discovered during my annual service. I’m getting the work done on Wednesday and if I get the bulletin, I’ll post it so you can have it for your appointment.

Thank you, I would appreciate that!

Has not rained in Sydney for a long while, but it did yesterday. Not especially heavy and not for long, but when I got back into my car got splashed on the face from water intrusion from the sunroof. Funny thing is, I have driven in much heavier rainstorms without incident. Will wait til the next one to see if repeats, before taking it in. Sept 2014 build.

Reactions: Whyrad
So today I finally got back my Tesla. I have to go back once the receive the new headliner. Here is the official report of what was wrong and what was fixed

Concern: When he received the car, panoramic roof spacer were pushed out. He was told
not to worry about it, but now he is getting water leaks through the panoramic roof.

full

Last edited:
Reactions: JPUConn
Had my pano replaced with the newer gen setup due to a leak under warranty. Tesla also replaced the headliner as part of CPO due bill.
Last fall, we had the same experience with our 2012 Model S (original pano roof and headliner replaced under warranty). The second generation pano has held up well, as we have no garage and we had a lot of snow and rain this past winter.

Reactions: Whyrad and JPUConn
View attachment 238985 View attachment 238986 View attachment 238987 View attachment 238988

has anyone else had this issue? When I took ownership of my car I mentioned to them that some of the strips looked pushed in and now I've noticed water spots in the headliner. Bad ones.

That seems like about the area where mine leaked in this recent California rain. I can't tell out spread out it is, since my top is black. But, it based on the angle of the roof, the water drop down on each side, both side of the rear seats.

This was during the light end of the rain, but when it was raining hard, the drip was much faster and more.

Mine is a 2015 model and is out of warranty. I wonder how much is the repair going to cost.

I just had an experience Today as it was heavy raining and I noticed few drops came right above me on the driver side. It wasn't much but this is concerning. I m planning to call Tesla. I still have warranty I think. My car is 2014 Model S. Any suggestion what I should do?

Model s panaromic sunroof. Not whole roof is glass. Partially metal I believe. I already found the possible pain points and planning to apply professional grade extendable causing after cleaning the area. However I will show it to Tesla anyway to see what would they come up with.