Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunroof. Might be really over-rated.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I had my Tesla in for service this past week they gave me a 2014 P85 as a loaner.

First, this was a great car. Even though it was a few years older than mine, it was tight and QUIET. It was so much quieter that it was immediately noticeable. When I got back into my car today I realized what the difference was- the '14 P85 had a solid roof. No glass. I didn't even know they made model S's without the glass roof. As nice as the sunroof/ glass roof is, I didn't realize how big the noise trade off would be.

One last thing- Are the Performance motors noisier, or, is that a function of age or wear? With the window down, the motor on the P85 was noticeable noisier than my 90D. It wouldn't bother me- just wondering.

Oh, one more last thing... ;) . This was my first time in the Performance models. Until now, I had no idea why anybody would pay more money and lose the range that comes with the Performance models. I get it now. ;)

I have a 2014 85 with the sunroof and I am not really noticing any noise from it at all. I have another ev without a sunroof and it's actually noisier from the windows I think the seals are not that great.

Have you gotten it checked out just to be sure that is normal wind noise?

• Informative
Reactions: Tforme
Are the Performance motors noisier, or, is that a function of age or wear? With the window down, the motor on the P85 was noticeable noisier than my 90D. It wouldn't bother me- just wondering.

This was my first time in the Performance models. Until now, I had no idea why anybody would pay more money and lose the range that comes with the Performance models. I get it now. ;)

YES the performance motors are significantly larger than the “standard” motors... and typically noisier too although not a lot.

Performance cars like our Ludicrous 2015 P85D definitely give more SMILES per mile ALL THE TIME... MUCH more rewarding than maybe ~ 20 miles of additional range which ONLY brings a smile WHEN you plan your charging poorly.