Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super Charger Etiquette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my MX for a month now and had few opportunities on longer drives to utilize superchargers, but today I experienced all chargers full with 1 person waiting. I’m wondering the etiquette for waiting, because as I was waiting a 3rd person pulled up and began waiting. Is it like a gas pump were you pick a pump or two and wait for it to open or do you use the chargers in the order of arrival? I only ask after I was cut off when going to the super charger by car number 3. Also when I was leaving I noticed another vehicle waiting with its four way flashers on is this a standard practice also to show you’re waiting for a charger?

It depends from one location to the other. The busy sites usually have a well established waiting line. Also there will always be those who rarely supercharge and don’t realize that there might be a queue and cut in.

We have lines all the time at the local superchargers here in NorCal. 6 cars ahead of me last time I tried to use one. Often you have to put a gap in the line at the entrance and exits of the parking lot where the Superchargers are. Everyone gets in one line and the person in the front goes into the first available stall. It is pretty orderly, never seen any cut off others.

Only issue is sometimes you need to honk at people because they are playing with their phones instead of moving the line along.:rolleyes:

• Funny
  • Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA and IdaX
Wouldn't it be cool if Tesla could add a wait queue to the software. It already knows that you are at a supercharger. It already knows that all the stalls are full. It wouldn't be too hard to add you to a queue and display that on the screen. "You are 2 of 4 cars in the queue." And when a stall is disconnected, it would tell you, "Please move to connector #12 within the next 5 min or you will lose your place in the queue."

It should also let you report which stall is broken, iced, etc...

Reactions: frank-datank
Wouldn't it be cool if Tesla could add a wait queue to the software. It already knows that you are at a supercharger. It already knows that all the stalls are full. It wouldn't be too hard to add you to a queue and display that on the screen. "You are 2 of 4 cars in the queue." And when a stall is disconnected, it would tell you, "Please move to connector #12 within the next 5 min or you will lose your place in the queue."

It should also let you report which stall is broken, iced, etc...

How about an automated check in Kiosk where a key fob/ Model 3 card/Tesla app is required to check in? Each supercharger would have a small overhead LED display indicating status of current charge/next up in queue/etc. Time limits apply as you note for slotting into your queued charger. Texted updates to advise where your status is in queue so no need to sit in car entire time. Many details to work out, such as ability to determine when charged car vacates a spot rather than simply done charging, but doable.

Something like this may not be needed at this time, but will be in the future in my opinion.

How about an automated check in Kiosk where a key fob/ Model 3 card/Tesla app is required to check in?
I believe you mean "MCU" when you say "kiosk" and "finger" when you say "fob/card"?
Each supercharger would have a small overhead LED display indicating status of current charge/next up in queue/etc.
Here I'm not sure if you mean "MCU" or "mobile app" when you presumably tried to type "small overhead LCD display."
Time limits apply as you note for slotting into your queued charger. Texted updates to advise where your status is in queue so no need to sit in car entire time.
Both of these features already exist and use the mobile app for notifications...
Many details to work out, such as ability to determine when charged car vacates a spot rather than simply done charging, but doable.
Wait, is this a joke, or do you simply not own a Tesla yet?
Something like this may not be needed at this time, but will be in the future in my opinion.
3 infinities maybe, 6 infinities definitely...