Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Harrisburg, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe I saw that another grocery store is doing this as well. It makes a lot of sense for these locations.

Spending $5 to charge a car while you spend $100 on groceries seems like a fair trade...
Only problem is I doubt many supercharger users are buying groceries. We have never bought groceries at a supercharger. Meals and coffee all the time, but not groceries.

I stopped at the Harrisburg SpC on the way back from Pittsburgh on Sunday and had an unusual occurrence.

After plugging in, we walked over to the Texas Roadhouse to have dinner. While waiting to be seated I checked the charging status on my iPhone, and it showed that charging had stopped. I started it again from the iPhone and that seemed to work. I checked on it several times while we were eating dinner and it seemed good. However, when I look at the log on Teslafi, it actually shows it stopped and started five times -there were five sessions of 7, 3, 27, 3 and 29 minutes over the period from 6:19 to 7:34 pm. There was a one minute gap between each session. I started charging at 30% and ended at 99%. I've never seen anything like this happen before. I was using the face-in station in the middle of the group of SpC's.

I stopped at the Harrisburg SpC on the way back from Pittsburgh on Sunday and had an unusual occurrence.

After plugging in, we walked over to the Texas Roadhouse to have dinner. While waiting to be seated I checked the charging status on my iPhone, and it showed that charging had stopped. I started it again from the iPhone and that seemed to work. I checked on it several times while we were eating dinner and it seemed good. However, when I look at the log on Teslafi, it actually shows it stopped and started five times -there were five sessions of 7, 3, 27, 3 and 29 minutes over the period from 6:19 to 7:34 pm. There was a one minute gap between each session. I started charging at 30% and ended at 99%. I've never seen anything like this happen before. I was using the face-in station in the middle of the group of SpC's.

That actually happened to me Friday at that exact stall; it was the first time I Supercharged in heavy rain with both sides looking wet when I plugged in, so I assumed that had something to do with it and gave up/decided I could make it after the second time it stopped.

Are there issues with plugging in when it is down pouring?
Yes, you get rather wet in the process ;)

EVSEs (charging stations) are usually designed, tested and certified so that they are safe to operate properly in all weather. If water gets in the plug the supercharger will not energize it. Rain water cannot get in the plug while attached in the stall or once it is connected to the car.

The potential issue is lightning which may damage the supercharger and the car. It is a good idea to be generally aware of the weather nearby and perhaps wait for a storm to pass before plugging in.

Are there issues with plugging in when it is down pouring?

Not that I'm aware of. Certainly the design takes a bunch of steps to try to keep you safe - neither end has any voltage across it until well after the plug is inserted, and both the car and the cord continuously monitor for isolation.

However, storms tend to create electrical issues in general, so I just assumed the pouring rain was tied in to the problem, whether it had anything to do with the connection between car and Supercharger or not.

Based on this thread, that assumption appears to be in error and there must be a fault with the cord or something upstream of it.

He is going to fix 3B. Something about a proximity circuit?

That would do it.

Under J1772 (which Tesla uses for the basic communication with all chargers,) there's a dedicated proximity pin which is designed to be the first to disconnect/last to connect and the car is required to cease charging immediately if it loses that signal.

(That's also what the button on a charge handle interrupts when you press it.)

An intermittent connection on that wire/connector would be likely to produce the problems we've seen there.

IMG_3321.JPG Used 3b and no problem today.