Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Irvine, CA - Main Street (LIVE 29 Dec 2020, 24 Urban + 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

I’ve started a thread for this new location based on these posts just made in
Supercharger - Irvine (Park Place, 3021 Michelson Dr, under construction Aug 2019, 12 Urban)
Hi everyone, perhaps this was discussed up-thread. Supercharge.info has 2 sites listed in Irvine: this one that is under construction, and a second one that is on 1970 Main St. When I click on the "discuss" link for the other location, it brings me to this thread. Is there indeed a permit for another Irvine site, or is that just speculation?

Yes there is, I was the one who found the permits initially :). The other one is still going through planning. I checked on it a few days ago.

Last edited:
Here was the original post in the other Irvine thread which found the building permit application for this location and a screen shot of the permitting portal taken at that time (the portal website isn't working for me right now, so I can't upload a current shot):
Here's another permit:
Permit

Address for that permit is:
1970 MAIN ST
IRVINE, CA 92614

main-png.434300

Some additional info:

-The same real estate company that did the Downtown San Diego supercharger bought this office complex last year. They are doing some substantial remodeling of the buildings, and completely demo'd the McCormick and Schmidt's restaurant that used to be attached to the parking structure (2000 Main St). There is construction going on in this area, and there are fences up in the immediately adjacent portion of the structure.

-They've filed for a New Restaurant permit at the location. I'm excited that whatever restaurant that goes in will probably be one that caters to SC users. (Wasn't Elon's cousin talking about a Supercharger Restaurant Concept at one point?)

-There is progress being made on the associated permits at 2000 Main, but this construction additional to the construction of a Tesla SC could mean this location will take extra time until operational.

gDzRX87.jpg
d7ubLGF.jpg

That is the other Irvine supercharger. It appears Tesla is planning for NB/SB traffic on the 405.
Supercharger - Irvine Park Place, 3021 Michelson Dr (LIVE 19 Oct 2019, 12 Urban)

Maybe. I don't think that's the reason as the Park Place location is easy enough to access from both SB/NB. I think it's just an issue of that corridor of Irvine having so many Teslas, a high-density of business parks, and restaurants/shops in the area. Even though the two locations are about 2 miles away from each other, it can take over 20 minutes to get from one location to the other in traffic. Park Place has more quick-serve eateries, the Main St location has some quick-serve across the street by the Carl's Jr.

• Informative
Reactions: kingkong5
Just checked on the status of the Plan Check for this location. They are now on review cycle number 3, with the most recent plan resubmission occurring last week, on 2019-11-27.
UPDATE: Tesla's Plan Check for this location finally received approval on 2020-03-23 (6th submission cycle). This cleared the way for them to apply for the needed Electrical and Parking Lot Improvement permits that would allow actual construction to begin. This will hopefully be a much shorter process than that for getting overall plan approval.

New permits can be tracked on Irvine's Building & Safety Portal. Search by permit number.

Electrical Alteration/Addition permit: 00816003-EBP
Parking Lot Improvement permit: 00816004-PLI

Also, on a more speculative note, the parking lot permit lists the number of spaces at 24. It's not clear that all of these will be supercharger stalls--some may be taken for equipment pad area or require other alterations to allow the infrastructure through--but it's suggestive that this may turn out to be a larger installation than the other Irvine supercharger on Michelson Dr (which has 12 stalls).

Also, on a more speculative note, the parking lot permit lists the number of spaces at 24. It's not clear that all of these will be supercharger stalls--some may be taken for equipment pad area or require other alterations to allow the infrastructure through--but it's suggestive that this may turn out to be a larger installation than the other Irvine supercharger on Michelson Dr (which has 12 stalls).
In thinking more about this, I decided to look and see how many stalls were listed on the other Irvine supercharger's permit. Turns out it was 29. So, I guess those numbers aren't really suggestive of much. This location could be larger, smaller, or the same 12 stalls as the other one. We'll have to wait and see.

Supercharger should be under construction. Permit was issued in July and I found a recent temporary utilities permit issued 4 days ago.

View attachment 587508
Yep, the main electrical permit for this one is showing a number of inspections for rough work starting in early August. Definitely under construction. Anyone in the area willing to go drive around to find the exact location in the parking garage and take some pics?

665719EA-A927-476C-B31C-14CE5C8AC75E.jpeg
E51F78DF-FE55-46B4-9A9C-1BB4AAA6656E.jpeg
25C8B714-C347-42CD-ABCB-E4C138E2984B.jpeg
As requested, I visited the area today. The entire north side of the garage is fenced off on the ground floor. There is not much to indicate where the superchargers will go in that, however there is signage near where currently there are ChargePoint chargers. I would not be surprised if the Tesla superchargers were somewhere near there, possibly in the next aisle backed up to the ChargePoint chargers. Here is what I saw.

Attachments

• 08F191ED-610A-4C4D-BE30-C135B9AD39A9.jpeg
    08F191ED-610A-4C4D-BE30-C135B9AD39A9.jpeg
    456.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited by a moderator: