Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger access prior to account activation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to the forum; what an overwhelming wealth of information. Bought our first (‘16 MX P90D) and will be the third owner (private/dealer/us). For the fun of it wife and I are flying down and driving it home, about 600 miles.

Lots of logistics to work out as a first-time EV owner. Thought I had covered all my bases until it dawned on me yesterday that our Tesla account may not be approved/activated by the time we pick it up. Obviously this affects the app, but what about supercharger access? I chatted with a Tesla rep but didn’t get the feeling they were confident in the guidance offered. At first they said I “may not” have access, then double-backed when I requested they check by the VIN and said I “should” have access.

So how do the superchargers work exactly? Do they recognize the vehicle by VIN (this model has unlimited of course)? Or do you have to log on by account?

Thanks in advance. This is an added level of stress just prior to what I’m hoping will be a very fun trip.

I've never seen a supercharger deny someone. If the car truly has unlimited supercharging for the duration of the vehicles life then you should have no problem. You do not need to authenticate with the app because supercharging is between you and your car. I'd suggest finding a Level 2 charger along your route as a backup to the supercharger. If you do have to use a level 2 then I'd suggest limiting your speed. I highly doubt you'll be unable to use the supercharger.

New to the forum; what an overwhelming wealth of information. Bought our first (‘16 MX P90D) and will be the third owner (private/dealer/us). For the fun of it wife and I are flying down and driving it home, about 600 miles.

Lots of logistics to work out as a first-time EV owner. Thought I had covered all my bases until it dawned on me yesterday that our Tesla account may not be approved/activated by the time we pick it up. Obviously this affects the app, but what about supercharger access? I chatted with a Tesla rep but didn’t get the feeling they were confident in the guidance offered. At first they said I “may not” have access, then double-backed when I requested they check by the VIN and said I “should” have access.

So how do the superchargers work exactly? Do they recognize the vehicle by VIN (this model has unlimited of course)? Or do you have to log on by account?

Thanks in advance. This is an added level of stress just prior to what I’m hoping will be a very fun trip.
I've done this with 2 pre-owned 2016 cars and it's the same. Just turn up and plug in. No need for Tesla registration.

There are no special phones at the Supercharger. You just call the main Tesla Support number from your mobile phone: 1-877-798-3752. But sometimes there might be a long wait, so be warned! Again, I don’t think it will come to that, so no need to worry!

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
This cannot have any problem, because it's a 2016. It has permanent Supercharger use attached to that vehicle, no matter who owns it. So whether they have the account transfer done or not, it will be either unlimited Supercharger use as a Tesla-owned car or unlimited Supercharger use as a you-owned car. Either way it won't make a difference.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP

You might make stopping at a Supercharger part of the inspection you do with the seller. Likely everything will work, but just to be sure.

Update: I contacted Tesla customer service one last time via chat last Saturday (we picked up the car Sunday). The rep was able to contact the IT team that was working the transfer of ownership; I had an active account within an hour. Sometimes the squeaky wheel...

Reactions: Hilbe