Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Annapolis MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is comical. Longest Supercharger install ever!
Not even close. The fort Stockton supercharger was like the years and it isn't alone. Supercharge.info had a great list of chargers in permit or construction and how long they've been in that state. See the bottom graph here: supercharge.info

Annapolis is only seventh on the list of those currently in the construction phase.

• Funny
Reactions: VT_EE
People - can somebody say how this works? Is Tesla paying BGE for this, equipment and service? Is BGE paying part of it, if so, corporate dollars or rate base? Is the Mall compensated? I realize some of these details aren't going to be public, but the BGE part might be. There's a BGE tech's phone number earlier in this thread - is that still the right guy, not sure I want to bug him. Only asking so we can help expedite via different route, again, absolutely non-confrontational - sympathetic friend to sympathetic friend. Hoping this doesn't follow that 2-year example above! Thanks!

People - can somebody say how this works? Is Tesla paying BGE for this, equipment and service? Is BGE paying part of it, if so, corporate dollars or rate base? Is the Mall compensated? I realize some of these details aren't going to be public, but the BGE part might be. There's a BGE tech's phone number earlier in this thread - is that still the right guy, not sure I want to bug him. Only asking so we can help expedite via different route, again, absolutely non-confrontational - sympathetic friend to sympathetic friend. Hoping this doesn't follow that 2-year example above! Thanks!

2rayo1.jpg

2rayo1

• Funny
Reactions: lensovet and gnuarm
Typically when there’s a new customer like this with a service connection, the customer (ie Tesla) pays for it upfront. BGE also has an incentive to put the equipment in service because it can’t earn a return on it through rates until it does so. Utilities also love electric cars because they increase demand for their service. In my mind, BGE and Tesla’s interests are aligned.

My guess is the problem has to do with Anne Arundel County, which is notoriously buracratic and slow.

I can't speak to this one situation, but often it also has to do with feeder and substation capacity. A supercharger station can be a large 'demand' increment on a feeder set or substation. In older areas, some of the feeders are lower voltage than newer areas and have less headroom for a superchanger. Sometimes it takes re-arranging load, deciding to pull a feeder from a different substation, or upgrading a substation's feeder to a higher primary. All of which take time, and are probably already on their plans. The ones that take a really long time may relate to one of these.