Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Arvada, CO - W 56th Ave

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Guacahummus

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2020
Tex 📐

Attachments

• 1705881797883.png
    1705881797883.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
  • 1705881835588.png
    1705881835588.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
Worth noting Google imagery including on the permit is wildly out of date, that whole parking lot area was demolished and new commercial buildings put in. I think there’s a hotel and various restaurants, Starbz, etc

Need to check the site plans again, but I think the charger is going in here.

Not much going on other than conduit sitting around (probably unrelated).
View attachment 1011206View attachment 1011207View attachment 1011208View attachment 1011209
You’ve got the right spot pictured. 👍🏻

definitely unrelated conduit, Tesla wouldn’t run it above ground. Looks very temporary.

2 PSU for 8 stalls now and 4 additional future stalls plus 4 future destination chargers .

Reactions: gsmith123
It’s a 2-3 minute walk to downtown Olde Towne Arvada. The location makes a lot of sense when you’re actually there imo. Good work by Tesla on this one
Right, and central Olde Town parking is often full, so then I'll use the parking garage next to the Harkins Theater or the large parking lot south of the theater, both of which are across the street from the new Supercharger location.

I think that would be everyone's preference. But the good news is we know its on the list to get a SUC...just dont know when.
When Tesla first started building Superchargers they were for travel between cities. Now we see Tesla building them within cities, which we can assume is partially for Tesla owners who don't have home or work charging. They need charging close to wherever they are. However, once Tesla started building Superchargers within cities, it makes sense that they wanted to put them where the most people are, and Denver "inside the 470-ring" has a lot more people and a much higher population density than Castle Rock. It sure would be interesting to have Tesla describe their current Supercharger site-selection process and see if they consider population density (or Tesla owner density, data that they have).

Being based in Denver and charging at home, I never use the Denver area Superchargers and I don't need them for long trips because I'm far away from Denver before I need to charge. It works out the same when I return as well.

Went by last night and there's no sign of construction. Google Maps satellite view (also seen in the car) is out of date and shows an old parking lot, a small roundabout, and some dirt. It's been reconfigured, the roundabout is gone, and now there's a hotel in the NW corner with restaurants all around the new parking lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: gsmith123
I imagine they must look at population density, or at least look at it indirectly via load on adjacent Superchargers (like Edgewater which is super busy).

Went by last night and there's no sign of construction. Google Maps satellite view (also seen in the car) is out of date and shows an old parking lot, a small roundabout, and some dirt. It's been reconfigured, the roundabout is gone, and now there's a hotel in the NW corner with restaurants all around the new parking lot.
Here is the permit with $3000 fees due. It has not been paid and therefore not issued so no need to check the site until those conditions are met. Link in first post. Permit # in picture. Just approved earlier this week. Might not get issued until after spring.
1707540283779.png

• Helpful
Reactions: electrons4u
Here is the permit with $3000 fees due. It has not been paid and therefore not issued so no need to check the site until those conditions are met. Link in first post. Permit # in picture. Just approved earlier this week. Might not get issued until after spring.
Interesting that the plans show 1 precast V3 4-post unit and 1precast V4 4-post unit, with the option for another precast V3 4-post unit and 2 L2 chargers with 2 plugs each. Total chargers would be 16, but since one of the V4 spots is for a wheelchair van, it counts as 2 spaces and the total spaces used is 17. Pretty cool to see some L2 chargers, which allow time to go to a movie across the street or up the hill to Olde Town proper (if your state of charge is low enough).

Interesting that the plans show 1 precast V3 4-post unit and 1precast V4 4-post unit, with the option for another precast V3 4-post unit and 2 L2 chargers with 2 plugs each. Total chargers would be 16, but since one of the V4 spots is for a wheelchair van, it counts as 2 spaces and the total spaces used is 17. Pretty cool to see some L2 chargers, which allow time to go to a movie across the street or up the hill to Olde Town proper (if your state of charge is low enough).
Where do you see 1 V3 and 1 V4 PSU? If you are looking at one of the later plan pages, they show both types since they don’t know specifically which one they will be using at the time the plans were submitted. On the plan page from the first post it says PSU typ. 2 which means typical of 2 or 2 PSU units and the drawings are identical. They will only use one type of PSU.

• Informative
Where do you see 1 V3 and 1 V4 PSU? If you are looking at one of the later plan pages, they show both types since they don’t know specifically which one they will be using at the time the plans were submitted. On the plan page from the first post it says PSU typ. 2 which means typical of 2 or 2 PSU units and the drawings are identical. They will only use one type of PSU.
The URL in the original post (eTRAKiT) now produces an error. Local and state government web sites seem to change all the time and they usually don't make the old URLs point to the new URLs. So I went to the City of Arvada's site (eTRAKiT) and did a search for "Tesla". Permit EV24-00001 showed up in the list, so then I downloaded the 16-page PDF file from the URL they had: https://www.arvadapermits.org/eTRAK...ctivityNo=EV24-00001&key=CPA:2401240915190261

On page 6 (sheet C-3) of the 16-page plan they have the 2 western PSUs marked 1 & 2, and the eastern cabinet (not part of a PSU) marked 3. On sheet C-4 they show V3 cast-in-place as (1), V4 cast-in-place as (2), and single V3 post as (3). I thought (1) and (2) from sheet C-3 matched up with (1) and (2) on sheet C-4, but I now see there's no connection and each sheet has its own (1), (2), (3), etc. This shows I'm in learner mode reading plans, so thanks for the help!

On sheet C-5 under (1) PSU Elevations there is a note 1: "Final charge post configuration selection determined by Tesla design manager based on availability at time of construction." So does that mean nobody knows yet if this will be a V3 or V4 site?

From the plans it looks like they aren't going to do a 4-post PSU for the 3rd optional Supercharger group because the eastern two posts (next to the L2 chargers) are spaced away from the western two posts. Am I reading that correctly?

Are optional expansion plans a normal thing on the plans or is this a new thing with Tesla's stations?

The URL in the original post (eTRAKiT) now produces an error. Local and state government web sites seem to change all the time and they usually don't make the old URLs point to the new URLs. So I went to the City of Arvada's site (eTRAKiT) and did a search for "Tesla". Permit EV24-00001 showed up in the list, so then I downloaded the 16-page PDF file from the URL they had: https://www.arvadapermits.org/eTRAKiT3/viewAttachment.aspx?Group=PERMIT&ActivityNo=EV24-00001&key=CPA:2401240915190261

On page 6 (sheet C-3) of the 16-page plan they have the 2 western PSUs marked 1 & 2, and the eastern cabinet (not part of a PSU) marked 3. On sheet C-4 they show V3 cast-in-place as (1), V4 cast-in-place as (2), and single V3 post as (3). I thought (1) and (2) from sheet C-3 matched up with (1) and (2) on sheet C-4, but I now see there's no connection and each sheet has its own (1), (2), (3), etc. This shows I'm in learner mode reading plans, so thanks for the help!

On sheet C-5 under (1) PSU Elevations there is a note 1: "Final charge post configuration selection determined by Tesla design manager based on availability at time of construction." So does that mean nobody knows yet if this will be a V3 or V4 site?

From the plans it looks like they aren't going to do a 4-post PSU for the 3rd optional Supercharger group because the eastern two posts (next to the L2 chargers) are spaced away from the western two posts. Am I reading that correctly?

Are optional expansion plans a normal thing on the plans or is this a new thing with Tesla's stations?
On page C4, those are the non PSU stalls. The bases are either cast in place (top) or pre cast (bottom) and then the included drawings of each type.

Basically, all the drawings of equipment are the same in every submittal, maybe just changing the inclusion/exclusion of PSU depending on site. They include everything in case they need to make revisions as they build out a site so all the equipment they could possibly use has been approved.

Currently, no one knows if a site is destined to be V3 or V4 which is why they include both in the plans. If there was only one type pictured, that is what will likely be installed.

Expansion plans or not normal but not new either. Maybe 1 in 20 site plans I have seen includes expansion plans or “phase 2”. This is mostly because sites usually don’t have expansion capability whether it be power or space constraints.

Thanks for the info! I am just starting to look at Supercharger station plans, and your experience is helpful.
Basically, all the drawings of equipment are the same in every submittal, maybe just changing the inclusion/exclusion of PSU depending on site. They include everything in case they need to make revisions as they build out a site so all the equipment they could possibly use has been approved.
Smart of Tesla to do this. I wonder if the other guys like EVgo, Electrify America, and ChargePoint do this. I've read Telsa's stations are much cheaper to build than the competition, but I wonder if Tesla builds stations any faster. Any insights are welcome.

This location definitely has the room for expansion, so it will be interesting to see how the installation unfolds. The four L2 charging spots would be a nice addition, because those give people the option to leave their car for a few hours while they do other stuff. Would those even be metered?