Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Atlanta, GA - Krog St NE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Guacahummus

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2020
Tex 📐
I'm not familiar with the area, but from Google Maps it looks like it'd be difficult to get to from I-75/85. Maybe it's meant for local charging and not people driving through ATL.
Differently not friendly Connector (I75/I85) access. That would be an extremely frustrating, traffic clogged and convoluted route. Also with only 8 stalls that is on the small side and seems most new Interstate stations are now 12 stalls at least.

At best it could be overflow for Atlantic Station which unfortunately (or fortunately) is filling up on many days now (live in Atlantic Station).

IMG_2297.jpeg

Reactions: theothertom
LOL I was there on Thursday! 99 Krog is likely the brand new parking deck just south of the Krog Street Market retail complex that some of you all are thinking of. KSM, and Krog Street in general, are indeed traffic disasters, but it's a white hot development location and it's where people are going. The traffic situation is currently even worse due to Krog Tunnel rework.

This would of course be for locals, not for highway transits.

The parking deck itself is quite small but 4-5 levels high. There are already two Level 2 stations on the bottom level, and the attached photo is from when I was documenting those for Plugshare three weeks ago (parking deck entrance ramp is to right of loading dock). The SC site could go down there, or on top level. I'm glad it's only 8 stations -- it would be hard to fit anything more in there. Actually this would have been a good place for the old urban supercharger concept, but I guess Tesla doesn't do those V2-based builds anymore.

I am there once a week already anyway, so I will start checking both locations weekly. Just like downtown Decatur!

Attachments

• 20221231_143249.jpg
    20221231_143249.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
.....Actually this would have been a good place for the old urban supercharger concept, but I guess Tesla doesn't do those V2-based builds anymore.....
I find these type "local" 250kW Stations somewhat of a conundrum. They are FAR too fast charging to go and do things like eat lunch BUT too SLOW to sit and wait and then go get lunch. Urban 72kW are a better fit and I even think a 40kW or 50kW would be better giving you time to do things, although you would need more stalls.

LIke others are saying, this is a hipster area and the audience for these chargers are locals who live near the Beltline.

I would never want to fight the traffic in this area if I was on a road trip, but there are many intown Atlanta owners who have been complaining that Atlantic Station fills up. East of downtown has been a hotbed of gentrification for 20 years, and it is good that the area has its own charger.

I stopped by here on Tuesday morning. There's no signs of construction yet. The first photo is of the top (P5) level, where I think this is likelier to go, although it is tedious to get all the way up there. The second photo is of the bottom (P1) level which is one level down from the entrance. They could BARELY fit eight spots down there (alcove on right side is three wide) but they would really be jamming all the equipment in to fit. Note the two existing Level 2 stations at left.

I suppose they could go to P3 or P4. We'll see!

Attachments

• 20230124_105821.jpg
    20230124_105821.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 20230124_110151.jpg
    20230124_110151.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: JulienW
I find these type "local" 250kW Stations somewhat of a conundrum. They are FAR too fast charging to go and do things like eat lunch BUT too SLOW to sit and wait and then go get lunch. Urban 72kW are a better fit and I even think a 40kW or 50kW would be better giving you time to do things, although you would need more stalls.
If people want to charge they want a slot. But there's always the 100%-plug-100% workaround to slow things down.

Although, if it's going to be busy, site power limits will likely take care of charging being too fast anyway.

By my rules this is on I-20, I-75, I-85, US-19, US-23, US-29, US-41, US-78, US-278 but nobody's traveling is going to want to use it. :/

• Funny
Reactions: ChrisC
I made my weekly stop by the parking deck to check, nothing yet.

However, I also talked to property mgmt (about something else) and mentioned my interest in the impending Tesla SC. They said that it was going into the SURFACE lot, which probably means the same old insanely-busy lot at the north end of the complex. I hope he was wrong about that, because that parking lot is a freaking retail-parking warzone for 12 hours a day. Until recently there was a small Georgia Power charging site in that lot, and ICE-ing of those spots (and a general road rage-y environment) was a constant problem, which is why I thought it was ultimately removed last year. But, driving by today, there ARE signs saying that new EV charging will be back soon "with a bang!" I just can't imagine that they will try to shoehorn an 8-pedestal SC site into this tight lot, so hopefully those will be Level 2 (HPWC+J1772) and the SC's are still going into the parking deck. ANYWAY, this is all second-hand info and speculation, so everyone stay calm and let's continue to watch for what actually develops :)

• Informative
Reactions: nogajim
Five months of stopping by here weekly finally pays off: construction has started! Fence is up, trenching has started. Note that this is in the little lot on the north side of the KSM complex, along Irwin, *NOT* in the parking deck I described above.

It'll be 2 V3 cabinets and 8 pedestals.

The parking signage here will be suuuuper interesting ....

Attachments

• 20230606_123513.jpg
    20230606_123513.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 20230606_123544.jpg
    20230606_123544.jpg
    541.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 20230606_123619.jpg
    20230606_123619.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Local charging tends to be close to home, with much less opportunity for proper battery conditioning on the way to the Supercharger. This makes for slow charging speeds until the battery warms up. You can almost always stretch a charging session to about an hour by setting the slider to 100%.

I stopped by here on Tuesday June 13th, a full week ago, but forgot to post here. Trenching was done, conduit was in concrete was likely to get poured soon.

I'll actually be stopping by there again tomorrow, but wanted to get this note in for the record.

EDIT: I don't know what's wrong with the photo upload; TMC has a history of image upload problems, so I assume it's a TMC problem

Attachments

• 20230613_151050.jpg
    20230613_151050.jpg
    636.3 KB · Views: 84