Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Baker, CA (LIVE / EXPANDED 40 V2 + 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get the 4.8MWH/day. My math might be off- but I did an assumption of 6 usable hours per day of solar radiation due to the location. 300 watts per panel, 456 panels so that's how I got the 820,800WH/day- 0r 820KWH/day-
Yea, as I said, my math was probably way off.

Although while the panels are rated for 300w, in real life you never get that outside of a lab. In the lab you would get 1.368MW, outside in the real world much less. That’s what I based my calculations on. 800kW in ideal real world perfect conditions outside.

To get your numbers the panels would need to be angled perfectly at the sun for the entire day.

Can you find out from the tech what the cause of this is? I’m curious.
IMHO, there could be a simple reason for the odd behavior of the Baker Superchargers today. See the missing electric meter? The large green transformer fins were at air temperature. My charge may have been 100% solar.

DC296821-D8BF-46CC-93E9-1D4FB007C757.jpeg

IMHO, if an electric meter appears soon and charging is normal, then we will know what to expect if power fails.

IMHO, there could be a simple reason for the odd behavior of the Baker Superchargers today. See the missing electric meter? The large green transformer fins were at air temperature. My charge may have been 100% solar.

IMHO, if an electric meter appears soon and charging is normal, then we will know what to expect if power fails.
All the power going into your house goes through the meter socket and if you pull the meter, there is no power in your house. However, this kind of electrical feed is not like that. There is too much current to pass through the meter directly, so the meter is connected to current transformers and a scaling factor is applied in the meter so that the direct reading is correlated to the kW and kWh consumed. That's my long winded way of saying that there can be grid power even though the meter is not set.

All the power going into your house goes through the meter socket and if you pull the meter, there is no power in your house. However, this kind of electrical feed is not like that. There is too much current to pass through the meter directly, so the meter is connected to current transformers and a scaling factor is applied in the meter so that the direct reading is correlated to the kW and kWh consumed. That's my long winded way of saying that there can be grid power even though the meter is not set.

But surely the utility wouldn’t be giving away power for free? Wouldn’t the utility need the meter installed?

But surely the utility wouldn’t be giving away power for free? Wouldn’t the utility need the meter installed?
I'm sure they won't let it go very long if the site is operating without a meter. Also, it's possible that's just the solar generation meter. I'm assuming all those little conduits below the meter socket pictured are the feeds from the solar inverters. There may be another meter somewhere that is the master meter.

The Mad Greek, an great famous dining location is 0.3 miles east. A 10 minute walk by abandon buildings and over a poorly maintained vehicle bridge requires you watch your step! A flashlight would be a must at night. The Mad Greek is open 24/7, so enjoyable food is always available.

CE658EF4-C83E-4FD8-91C0-AE1DF9C4EC6B.jpeg 0CBE48BC-006A-49BB-B9A0-A75DBE2F1EDF.jpeg 3ABD260F-36D3-4759-A36A-81A02B0AA2FB.jpeg 2A5C2DDF-0994-4C92-B26A-FA4891D4722F.jpeg 700C1253-14BB-4BA5-A00F-8F6B3F4E2D2B.jpeg C3E9C424-F053-4DE1-9FA9-8C18F3BECD4A.jpeg F75B82F2-E3B4-4BB0-BAF6-92A36DC50872.jpeg 663A0E66-DDD0-4079-9F4E-3C8BD71FF116.jpeg
The street view looks southwest from the front of The Mad Greek. The square Shell sign in the distance to the right of the truck is how far it is to walk back. Note the white bridge with rough walkway on the side of the road.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great info and photos!
The weather was perfection, no wind, traffic light and thanks go to those who wanted to be there today and provided the inspiration on this thread to enjoy a day at Baker. Thanks also to Apple, who had enough iPhone product on release day over the past 10 years that makes it possible for improved photo quality to be captured and transmitted ASAP for all to enjoy.

5 years ago on November 8th I took delivery of a P85. Many travel adventures have been shared here at TMC. Thanks to Tesla and all who make and purchase these great vehicles. What a great ride it is and tonight may the truckers of the world be as inspired as I was when learning about Tesla back in 2008. Tesla Delivers Anywhere - HybridCars.com

Baker has disappeared from the map temporarily. Considering the charging speed on Wednesday, IMHO, it's best not to have anyone arrive late for the Tesla Semi-truck party. The Tesla Semi is coming tonight

Baker Missing.jpg

Could the open air design of Baker be one reason for the disappearance? I didn't think of it until today. Usually the electrical equipment is surrounded by walls. Yermo has walls. Maybe the excessive heat in Baker requires an open design. More questions to ponder of why there isn't even a future location reference at the time of this post.

Last edited: