Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Baker, CA (LIVE / EXPANDED 40 V2 + 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right side of second picture shows cables on pavement in protective cable guide coming from original bank of electronics. Could be the new power equipment isn't connected to the grid yet. I should have taken a picture of that setup too. Obviously temporary.

RT
It’s interesting that the two trailers are being powered off the old transformer which means it has much more power available than the 40 V2 require. If the one bank of new V3 is on, that should be off the new transformer and switchgear. Wouldn’t make sense to not run them off the new equipment that they are wired to. Not even sure if that would be ok since it wouldn’t be part of the plans they are being built to.

It’s interesting that the two trailers are being powered off the old transformer which means it has much more power available than the 40 V2 require. If the one bank of new V3 is on, that should be off the new transformer and switchgear. Wouldn’t make sense to not run them off the new equipment that they are wired to. Not even sure if that would be ok since it wouldn’t be part of the plans they are being built to.
My assumption is they are connected to the old transformer because that is what was available for Thanksgiving before and until very recently. They probably charge the batteries during the off hours and then use it during the peak hours so I wouldn't say the old transformer necessarily has more power available but does have capacity in the off hours because no cars would be charging there.

PXL_20231226_193831054.MP.jpgPXL_20231226_193844921.jpgPXL_20231226_193852522.jpgPXL_20231226_193906734.jpgPXL_20231226_193947894.jpgPXL_20231226_193959455.jpg

Reactions: Falcon73
Whoa there! These units have been installed for a very long time. It is most likely an issue with the utility. Baker likely is reaching its limits on available electrical service and so Tesla may be waiting on the utility to make necessary upgrades.

When I bought my Model S in 2012, there were 6 Supercharger locations in the entire world. Sometime patience and understanding is virtue..
They actually just did a planned outage in Baker from 12/5 at 10pm to 12/6 at 10am for "reliability upgrades" so I wonder if this is doing the trick

I stopped by there last Wednesday on my way back to Northern California and it was busy but there were still stalls to be had. The front (south facing) two lines of doubled pull through stalls are all V3 and deliver 250 kW. The three perpendicular stall lines in the back (north side) that are partially open are only charging at 80 kW. I know this because I pulled in with my 2018 100D MX and started charging there first with a SOC at 30% and was only pulling 80 kW. My girlfriend was not satisfied with the rate, so I then moved to the south doubled stalls and pulled into one and got up to 161 kW for a while before it began drifting down as expected. Still, it stayed up to 100 kW until I get above 50%, and then drifted down.

BTW, there were two Cybertrucks charging at the same time in one of the three rows. I took a picture (and a nice picture of my finger) but did not go over and talk to the owners. I am too shy.
IMG_9523.jpeg

Reactions: J3diMast3r and IdaX
I stopped by there last Wednesday on my way back to Northern California and it was busy but there were still stalls to be had. The front (south facing) two lines of doubled pull through stalls are all V3 and deliver 250 kW. The three perpendicular stall lines in the back (north side) that are partially open are only charging at 80 kW. I know this because I pulled in with my 2018 100D MX and started charging there first with a SOC at 30% and was only pulling 80 kW. My girlfriend was not satisfied with the rate, so I then moved to the south doubled stalls and pulled into one and got up to 161 kW for a while before it began drifting down as expected. Still, it stayed up to 100 kW until I get above 50%, and then drifted down.

BTW, there were two Cybertrucks charging at the same time in one of the three rows. I took a picture (and a nice picture of my finger) but did not go over and talk to the owners. I am too shy.View attachment 1004603
Looks like a Texas plate and a CA dealer plate. Likely Tesla owned vehicles.

Reactions: Dave EV