Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Big Sur, CA - Ventana (LIVE 24 May 2019, 8 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be interesting to know more about the "behind the scenes" back and forth between the resort and Tesla as this was conceived, constructed and built. Initially Tesla owners were encouraged to come to the resort it appears -- since a stairway was constructed for just that purpose. The resort likely then realized that they had opened their exclusive doors to dozens of quick visitors a day who likely were not spending money and were impacting their own guests' experience... someone paying $4,300 a night (just checked October rates... WOW) is not going to want to mingle with patrons of what amounts to a gas station, even if it's traditionally been a high-end station. If the resort wanted chargers just for their guests they could have just installed destination chargers, as we all know. They may have envisioned this when Teslas were $100k+ and attracted a more exclusive / wealthy crowd.

Having said all of that, it would be a nice gesture and make security's job much easier if they would just construct a small bathroom for the use of chargers as well as employees, who I also think may park down there. Presumably Ventana's motivation in installing a supercharger was to foster goodwill among the driving public, but in this case I would guess more damage than good is being done given their policies.
As I recall from 2015-2018, Ventana had Tesla destination and J1772 chargers near the resort carts. My guess is that the agreement with Tesla for the Superchargers was made when the resort was owned/operated by Joie de Vie before it was sold to Alila.

Reactions: goldengate
As I recall from 2015-2018, Ventana had Tesla destination and J1772 chargers near the resort carts. My guess is that the agreement with Tesla for the Superchargers was made when the resort was owned/operated by Joie de Vie before it was sold to Alila.
Ahhh.... That may explain their change in attitude which is noticed when we take guests there.

Reactions: goldengate
Bummer to hear this. We were through there a couple years ago and had lunch at the restaurant while we were charging. Everyone was kind and welcoming.

Of course that was back in the only slightly absurd $500-1k/night days. $4k? Lol. Nothing about that place is THAT nice. You’ll find me down the way in the Treebones yurts. 😆

Reactions: ohmman
I was there many many years ago, back in the 90’s and it was quite an experience, but nothing from a pricing standpoint compared to today. I will say, todays rates aren’t really 4K a night. It’s not a big place so the pricing can vary signifcantly when there is a wedding party or other group that takes up a lot of the hotel. Pricing can be “as low” as under 2K a night, but usually lands in the 3-3.3K a night range. Yes, taxes and such will boost that a bit, but it’s not a 4K a night room and then, 100$ per glass of wine, etc. It’s exclusive, NQA, and I can’t imagine every really going back again - I’d probably go back to Post Ranch Inn at this point in time, but for a very special anniversary weekend, or kicking of a honeymoon it’s probably not THAT craY cray. I’ve spent nearly that for a couple for a TENT on a river in Botswana before, so value can be found in many different ways. ;-)

Reactions: 1100MCM
Bummer to hear this. We were through there a couple years ago and had lunch at the restaurant while we were charging. Everyone was kind and welcoming.

Of course that was back in the only slightly absurd $500-1k/night days. $4k? Lol. Nothing about that place is THAT nice. You’ll find me down the way in the Treebones yurts. 😆
1632107722755.png

We drove at the end of July up Hwy 1 to Carmel Valley to visit family. Topped off at the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo, and by the time we arrived at Big Sur, my prostrate said "I gotta go". Wow, I wasn't expecting the lack of amenities here. There was a Model X driven by a woman with 4 young girls parked next to us, and all I heard was, "Mommy, where do we go to the bathroom?". Either the resort needs to loosen up and install a restroom out of goodwill, or Tesla should start looking elsewhere. Maybe the new place down the hill near Hwy 1 that I've heard others mention?