Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bowie, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lanny

Nov 29, 2011
MD
Application approved by PG County to add Tesla Superchargers at a Wawa being built on Martin Luther King Jr. Highway at the intersection with Rt. 450/Annapolis Rd.

Application approved by PG County to add Tesla Superchargers at a Wawa being built on Martin Luther King Jr. Highway at the intersection with Rt. 450/Annapolis Rd.

Bowie, MD

Along Primary Interstates: I-95
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-50
Along Auxiliary Interstates: I-495
Along State Routes: None

I-95

To: Laurel, MD - 14.1 miles
Diversion: 4.3 miles
To: Baltimore - South Caton Avenue, MD - 30.4 miles

US-50

To: Annapolis, MD - 18.7 miles
Diversion: 3.4 miles
To: Grasonville, MD - 39.5 miles

Another density-over-coverage v3 Supercharger, this time alongish I-95

Reactions: PStewart
I sure hope they change the name before it goes live. Anyone looking in Bowie will be looking for a long long time. Despite Vista Gardens Marketplace's attempt to claim the higher-rent-sounding name of Bowie, it's really in Mitchellville. The entirety of Glenn Dale is between Bowie and this place.

At least it's not where the pin shows up on the Tesla site, which is the Old Bowie Town Grille. A lovely local pub, but it would be a pretty terrible spot for an 8-bay Supercharger!

The actual location (oh, we're getting a nearby Wawa, eh?) is better, but still quite a ways away from any big highways, as ItsNotAboutTheMoney notes above. Although the round-trip diversion is only 3.9 miles if you're Northbound on I-95. Still might have been able to find something closer.

Really surprised this location counts as Bowie. Will be great to have a supercharger near the beltway and 50.
Yeah, that ain't Bowie. Technically I guess it's Mitchellville, although nobody knows where that is so I'd be fine calling it Lanham. That's what the Home Depot across the street does. (I think the same developer is building this new half of the shopping center. Anyway it has the same name, prepended with "West".) Calling it Bowie is just gonna confuse people.

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart
Yeah, that ain't Bowie. Technically I guess it's Mitchellville, although nobody knows where that is so I'd be fine calling it Lanham. That's what the Home Depot across the street does. (I think the same developer is building this new half of the shopping center. Anyway it has the same name, prepended with "West".) Calling it Bowie is just gonna confuse people.

It seems a little weird.
That area and the mall across the road are addressed as Bowie, MD.
In the wider area there seems to be a mixture of Lanham and Bowie addressing.
Tesla tends to use the USPS addressing.

Just stopped in to check while I was at Home Depot across the street. It's hard to tell exactly where the Supercharger is going to be, but I didn't see any such activity yet. Most of the development is condos or apartments so it's quick to drive around the commercial part. There were no palettes marked Tesla anywhere to be seen. Probably too early to start putting them in; the Panda Express is open but the other buildings are still going up and there's lots of pavement-to-be that's still dirt. Q4 seems about right.

I remain amused that the generic pin on the Tesla "coming soon" page is still at the Old Bowie Town Grille, even though they know where it's going to be. That would be a hilariously bad place for a Supercharger.

No Tesla-specific construction seen.
PXL_20210802_204950452.jpg
PXL_20210802_204952052.jpg
PXL_20210802_204954198.jpg
PXL_20210802_204956186.jpg

Status of Tesla pile unchanged this afternoon. Good progress on the Wawa lot, pumps and other infrastructure. There is new sod down on the perimeter of parking - except for a swath along the wall behind the pumps. That is where the chargers went in in the recently completed and similar layout Wawa locations in Rehoboth Beach and Middletown DE. Trenching soon?

Status of Tesla pile unchanged this afternoon. Good progress on the Wawa lot, pumps and other infrastructure. There is new sod down on the perimeter of parking - except for a swath along the wall behind the pumps. That is where the chargers went in in the recently completed and similar layout Wawa locations in Rehoboth Beach and Middletown DE. Trenching soon?
I went by today and have the same to report.

• Informative
Reactions: Thinkje