Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brea, CA - Brea Mall (LIVE 28 Jun 2021, 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I work in Brea so I'm excited to finally try the supercharger today and boy am I disappointed. When I was there, there was a ful house. 20/20 charging. The problem is that aisle is very tight to back in. When you have a car across from you, it's very tight. The 3 is the smallest Tesla with a supercharger port and it tight with that. I watched other Y's and S's struggle even more. I don't know how X's can back in when there's someone opposite of you. When pulling out, I had to pull forward, turn, backup, turn a little and then make my final turn to pull out. I saw others doing the same.
I could have made it single motion but not easy. I've been to over 80 unique SuC in the last 2 years and by far this was the tightest. They should have angled the spaces like they did at San Fernando - Celis Street. Irvine Culver has narrower parking spaces.. but this has narrower aisles.

As the SuC was completely full, my car was only dealt 53k at 20% SOC. I only took on 15% and left since it was slow. I'll be back in Brea in a few days to give it another spin.

IMG_20210711_130014__01.jpg

Screenshot_20210711-130933__01.jpg

It is tight, but not as tight as Irvine where I saw a Model X driver abandoned his attempts to charge.

The chargers here are on average with other V3s. Not very fast or slow, but 35min gets you more than you need. I have spend hours at V2 chargers before and I thought my car was broken. V3s are nice even if it doesn't get max speed because it's steady even when others are charging next to you.

As the SuC was completely full, my car was only dealt 53k at 20% SOC. I only took on 15% and left since it was slow. I'll be back in Brea in a few days to give it another spin.
That's odd - a 20-stall 5-cabinet v3 Supercharger should be able to pull 1400 kW from the grid and average 70 kW per post. Only getting 53 kW makes it seem like something else was limiting power. 53 kW * 20 = 1060 kW - maybe the entire site is limited to about 1 MW? Even then, many people charge way higher than they need to so that should allow for more power than the average...

I'm guessing that there was something wrong with either the stall or cabinet you were plugged into...

That's odd - a 20-stall 5-cabinet v3 Supercharger should be able to pull 1400 kW from the grid and average 70 kW per post. Only getting 53 kW makes it seem like something else was limiting power. 53 kW * 20 = 1060 kW - maybe the entire site is limited to about 1 MW? Even then, many people charge way higher than they need to so that should allow for more power than the average...

I'm guessing that there was something wrong with either the stall or cabinet you were plugged into...

I have been told that when sites go live Tesla typically limits the sites full power output until they complete some tests internally but that came from an unverified source. A theoretical peak though would be 1935 KVA on the AC side if loading up all of the stalls.

I have been told that when sites go live Tesla typically limits the sites full power output until they complete some tests internally but that came from an unverified source. A theoretical peak though would be 1935 KVA on the AC side if loading up all of the stalls.
Yeah, I did the math wrong - it's 350 kVA per cabinet and there are 5 cabinets there, so it should be 1750 kVA for the site (not sure where you got 1935 from). Since the power factor is most likely 99%+, this means 1750 kW for the site, on or average, about 87.5 kW per stall maximum.

Inside each cabinet there are 5 AC/DC modules (presumably about 70 kW each) that convert 480 3-phase AC to 1000 VDC on a shared bus w/other cabinets on site. In each cabinet there are 12 DC-DC modules that convert the 1000 VDC to whatever each car is requesting. I believe that 3 of these DC-DC modules are allocated in a static manner to each post.

It could also be that we have had “fiex alters” in CA for the past several days due to high temperatures, fires and uncertainty with electricity availability from NV and OR for 9am-4pm daily. Even a station like this could be throttled from the grid at times.

A serious design flaw with this location (IMO): a lot of cars park on the wrong side of the posts (on the row in the middle).

For example, in this photo, the 3 on the far side is actually parked in the wrong spot on the far side: they should be parked in the open spot between the white 3 facing the camera and the grey X. This causes it to look like this is an open spot when in fact it is being used by the 3 facing away. As I’ve sat here, I have watched several people pull in, thinking a spot is open when in fact it is being used by someone incorrectly.

Just my $0.02

Attachments

• 59500F57-8B3D-4785-A280-FFB742F699CF.jpeg
    59500F57-8B3D-4785-A280-FFB742F699CF.jpeg
    384.5 KB · Views: 68
A serious design flaw with this location (IMO): a lot of cars park on the wrong side of the posts (on the row in the middle).

For example, in this photo, the 3 on the far side is actually parked in the wrong spot on the far side: they should be parked in the open spot between the white 3 facing the camera and the grey X. This causes it to look like this is an open spot when in fact it is being used by the 3 facing away. As I’ve sat here, I have watched several people pull in, thinking a spot is open when in fact it is being used by someone incorrectly.

Just my $0.02
sounds more like some tesla owners are not very clever.

Happy to report that In-N-Out Burger on Imperial Highway is opening on October 14, 2021 for another fabulous food choice in the area while charging. Drive-through before and enjoy a famous Double-Double when Supercharging at the Brea Mall. Just west of the 57 freeway or State College Blvd.

836120C4-CE55-47C4-A1CE-F1B5CBD813EC.jpeg

Last edited:
In N Out does this at pretty much all of their newer locations (can't remember when they started doing this).
Don't recall ever seeing any collapse (though I am sure it is possible)

I didn't know about this tradition... nice to learn something new everyday !
In fact, when looking closer, the trees are attached together,
and also they will continue growing vertically, see below picture.

In Out - Cross Palm Tree History .jpeg

This location, in Alameda, CA, opened about 10 years ago, and the trees seems growing vertically.
But I never noticed the crossed palm tree because the entrance is on the other side.

In Out - Cross Palm Tree - Alameda, CA  .jpeg

At this one, near the Tesla Supercharger in Kettleman City, CA,
the crossed palm trees didn't seems to be affected by their initial inclination.

In Out - Cross Palm Tree - Kettleman City, CA  .jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevy Baby